Rumors thread

witesoxfan

FWIW ESPN Radio (the national update) is saying AZ expects to shop Vazquez to the O's, Tigers and the White Sox.

I don't put any much into this report, I think they just threw the White Sox in there because their name has buzzed around Vazquez the last two offseasons...

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jan 3, 2005 -> 05:32 PM)
Its finally over.

Barring any setbacks in the 72 hour contract negotiation period, a trade sending Randy Johnson to the Yankees for Javier Vazquez, Brad Halsey, Dioner Navarro and $9M has been completed.

MLB Story

Heard the same thing about Vazquez being shopped to us. I dont think KW will try and get him bcoz I read Vazquez wants to stay in NL.

I imagine that since AZ is getting 9m from NY and 8m from LA, any team that they trade Vazquez to is going to get some money...

I think Dodgers are only paying 1/2 of Green's salary, so I expect them to make a run at another solid bat for their line-up to go with J.D. Drew. I think they'll make a run at Delgado...

I have heard the price for Vasquez has severely dropped from the original talks of Konerko and Garland. The O's offer seems to be centered on their young pitching stud prospect.

How many of you would be willing to deal Garland, McCarthy, and another prospect for Vasquez ?

QUOTE(JDsDirtySox @ Jan 3, 2005 -> 09:01 PM)
I have heard the price for Vasquez has severely dropped from the original talks of Konerko and Garland.  The O's offer seems to be centered on their young pitching stud prospect. 

How many of you would be willing to deal Garland, McCarthy, and another prospect for Vasquez ?

No one that has half a brain.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jan 3, 2005 -> 09:02 PM)

:lol: Ya that's way to much for Javy. I like Vaz and I'd be willing to give up Garland and a middle level spect(which wouldn't get a deal done) but Garland and Bmac plus another spect is ridiculous.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jan 3, 2005 -> 09:02 PM)

I'll disagree with you on this one. McCarthy is nothing yet, and who knows if he ever will be. I hope he is, but we haven't really had much luck with top pitching prospects since I have been alive. If we could get Vasquez for Garland, McCarthy, and another prospect that isn't big time, I would do it in a second.

QUOTE(JDsDirtySox @ Jan 3, 2005 -> 09:07 PM)
I'll disagree with you on this one.  McCarthy is nothing yet, and who knows if he ever will be.  I hope he is, but we haven't really had much luck with top pitching prospects since I have been alive.  If we could get Vasquez for Garland, McCarthy, and another prospect that isn't big time, I would do it in a second.

You would be less than happy with the numbers he would put up here. One of the very best hitting parks in all of baseball. He would hover around a five era in my opinion. Which we could get from garland ( who by the way i am not really a fan of) for much less money.

I think you save Bmac to pitch ro to at least use as your main chip come this July when who knows what we need. Here's my question. Do the Yankees give the 8-9 million to the d-backs or is it to Javy Vazquez's deal? So if AZ spins him do they keep the cash or are the savings passed on to the acquiring team?

Carlos Beltran - OF - Astros 

Newsday is reporting that the Mets have offered Carlos Beltran a deal greater than $119 million over seven years.

Everyone else is reporting that the Mets have yet to make their proposal. Meanwhile, sources have told the New York Times and the Post that Yankees may bow out without making an offer to Beltran. The Astros' deadline is Saturday, so there's a good chance we'll know where Beltran is going before the end of the week. Jan. 4 - 3:27 am et

Jeromy Burnitz - OF - Rockies 

The Cubs are showing interest in free agent Jeromy Burnitz, who would take over in left field.

Burnitz might not be an upgrade over Jason Dubois, but since this is a Dusty Baker team, there was never much hope that Dubois would get an opportunity to play regularly. At least the addition of Burnitz would give the team another left-handed bat. Jan. 4 - 3:22 am et

Ruben Sierra - DH - Yankees 

The Yankees likely will re-sign Ruben Sierra to a one-year deal worth about $1 million. There's a Saturday deadline, so this isn't one of those signings the Yankees will be able to wait weeks to announce. Sierra apparently has picked the Yankees over the Orioles and Devil Rays. Jan. 4 - 3:16 am et

Barry Larkin - SS - CIN

With no team's offering him a starting job, free agent Barry Larkin is considering retirement.

Larkin said the Cardinals were the only club to talk to him about being an everyday shortstop and they chose David Eckstein instead. Larkin hasn't ruled out becoming a utilityman, but he's looking for the right opportunity. Jan. 4 - 1:52 pm et

Source: Cincinnati Enquirer

Pokey Reese - SS - BOS

The Mariners are likely to sign Pokey Reese to replace Jose Lopez at shortstop.

Reese will get a deal worth about $2 million if he passes a physical. This might be the second consecutive January in which the Mariners have spent more money in order to downgrade at shortstop. Reese is certainly a better defender than Lopez, but he hit .221/.271/.303 last season and .215/.271/.262 in limited action in 2003. $2 million is at least twice what he deserves. Jan. 4 - 1:39 pm et

Source: Tacoma News Tribune

Ramon Martinez - SS - DET

Tigers signed infielder Ramon Martinez, who had been with the Cubs, to a one-year contract.

Martinez hit .246/.313/.346 last season, but that's the worst line of his career. He'll be useful in a utility role alongside Jason Smith. The Tigers also have Fernando Vina as a possible backup for Omar Infante at second base, but they'll probably try to dump him. Jan. 4 - 1:23 pm et

Odaliz Perez will be back with the Dodgers per rotoworld.

Odalis Perez will re-sign with the Dodgers for $24 million over three years, ESPNews reports.

At one point in the offseason, it had seemed like offers for Perez may top out at about $5 million per season. This is more in line with what he deserves compared to what Russ Ortiz, Eric Milton and Kris Benson received. Staying with the Dodgers should allow him to keep posting sub-4.00 ERAs through the end of the deal. With Perez joining Jeff Weaver and Brad Penny, there are now two rotation spots open for Edwin Jackson, Kazuhisa Ishii, Elmer Dessens and Wilson Alvarez. The Dodgers still could add another pitcher to guarantee that both Dessens and Alvarez will work out of the pen initially. Jan. 4 - 6:01 pm et

Green:

I think NYY owe LAD an apology. The 72-hr window for Green to sign a contract extension with AZD is not going well. The sides are very much apart. There is no way that 10 team trade would ever have gone down without Green being apart of it.

If the AZD can't sign him to an extension the trade's off.

Vazquez:

There are too many suitors in the NL for Vazquez's services for him to choose an AL team. Since $ is not a part of the choice for Vazquez I think KW got it right in believing the NL is where he wants to be.

Perez:

I hope we all learned a good lesson with this. When it concerns pitching

& LAD if the guy is any good they aren't going to let him go. We should have assumed he would sign with them from the start. It was just a waiting game based on what Clement was going to get. Nothing more.

Iguchi:

The NY Post reports that he's very close to signing with the White Sox.

I like this move very much. In fact the entire off-season has been as if KW has adopted my philosophy: pitching first, defense second, hitting third.

It's like buying gas. Pay premium for the car you appreciate & need the most (pitching). Pay silver for the car you can't do without (defense). Pay regular for anything else (hitting).

What's more I like the overall strategy for attendance gain.

Buehrle's success draws more fans than Koney's.

Garcia's success will draw more fans than Lee's.

Hernandez's success will draw more fans than Ordonez's.

Garland's success will draw more fans than Valentin's.

If you can put together a rotation that can manage 70-75 wins consistently

year after year then you are going to draw more fans. That will mean more to the fan base than having 5 guys who hit 20-30/250-300/75-100.

I didn't know where this should go but figured hell it will go here... anyway, I found it interesting that on the Sox home page under rosters. Their depth chart has S Pods playing left and Rowand playing Center. I would feel more comfortable with it like that, for just the reason Rowand is familiar with the wind and the field more so than Pods...thoughts?

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb...ex.jsp?c_id=cws

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Jan 5, 2005 -> 02:27 PM)
I didn't know where this should go but figured hell it will go here... anyway, I found it interesting that on the Sox home page under rosters. Their depth chart has S Pods playing left and Rowand playing Center. I would feel more comfortable with it like that, for just the reason Rowand is familiar with the wind and the field more so than Pods...thoughts?

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb...ex.jsp?c_id=cws

Agreed. I've really felt comfortable with Rowand in CF. I like the idea of having Pods in LF too. I think he'll actually be better suited for that position.

The problem I have with Rowand in CF is that he plays like Griffey. He never exercises caution with respect to his body when making a play. It's a great thing to watch but it's not a good thing for a team seeking to win a division.

If you asked which player I would be willing to risk more in terms of health

it's Pods. I want Rowand healthy all year long.

This is very important at the Cell. For those who attend the games or watch I TV I believe there are more wall/fence plays there than anywhere else. I know I've never been to a game where there hasn't been at least 3 such plays.

So if Pods is capable of playing CF then I would much prefer Rowand to play LF.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jan 5, 2005 -> 01:28 PM)
Agreed.  I've really felt comfortable with Rowand in CF.  I like the idea of having Pods in LF too.  I think he'll actually be better suited for that position.

:huh it can go either way ehh

Some third-hand gossip. Over at the Cubs' board (NSBB.com) they are posting that two sources within the Mets organization told a Mets fansite that Beltran will sign with them for 7 years $112 million. Someone else posted that ESPNews was reporting that the Beltran and Mets agree in principle on a contract.

George Ofman was on the snore last night breaking Mike Murphy's heart by telling him even after signing Beltran, the Mets would still show interest in Sosa because Cameron is out until June.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jan 5, 2005 -> 05:31 PM)
Some third-hand gossip.  Over at the Cubs' board (NSBB.com) they are posting that two sources within the Mets organization told a Mets fansite that Beltran will sign with them for 7 years $112 million.  Someone else posted that ESPNews was reporting that the Beltran and Mets agree in principle on a contract.

George Ofman was on the snore last night breaking Mike Murphy's heart by telling him even after signing Beltran, the Mets would still show interest in Sosa because Cameron is out until June.

The Mets are not telling a fan site about a signing when they've publicly said they haven't offered a contract yet.

No way on Sosa, they'd turn towards Delgado before Sosa, unless they can deal off a couple of horrendous contract's on the Cubs.

QUOTE(Mr. Showtime @ Jan 5, 2005 -> 05:36 PM)
The Mets are not telling a fan site about a signing when they've publicly said they haven't offered a contract yet.

No way on Sosa, they'd turn towards Delgado before Sosa, unless they can deal off a couple of horrendous contract's on the Cubs.

Didn't Boras say he received offers from every team in the Beltran sweepstakes? Newsday was originally reporting that the Mets offered $119 million. :unsure: