Rumors thread

witesoxfan

Kevin Youkilis must play "more than an adequate" first base this spring if he expects to make the Red Sox, GM Theo Epstein said.

Youkilis has little experience at the position, but he should be able to pick it up well enough in order to make the Red Sox as a backup at both infield corners. If he struggles and gets sent down, the team would carry David McCarty and Ramon Vazquez would see some time at third base. Jan. 27 - 3:19 am et

Why couldn't crede be like him? I would love to have him on the white sox.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/p...ort=MLB&id=5375

Latest News  Jan. 27, 2005 - 3:03 pm et

Devil Rays signed RHP Hideo Nomo to a minor league contract with an invitation to spring training.

Things were so quiet on the Nomo front that we were half expecting to hear he decided to return to Japan. The Rays will almost certainly give him a rotation spot as long as he looks okay during spring training. He'll need to recover the velocity he lost after undergoing shoulder surgery in order to be useful. He'll be someone to watch during March.

QUOTE(Hall of Famer @ Jan 27, 2005 -> 04:12 PM)
My sources are saying the Tigers are set to sign Ordonez. Should be official in the next day or so.

I'm relatively new here and unfamiliar with you so don't take this the wrong way, but do your "sources" have any credibility or track record?

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jan 27, 2005 -> 05:52 PM)
A Tigers reporter is saying on MLB.com radio that the Tigers have made Ordonez a multi-year (more than 2 years) offer.

Dont know if i should be happy or sad bcoz Maggs wont be with the Cubbies but we'll still see him in AL central. It will be good to watch how much Maggs/Borass gets from detroit.

QUOTE(ihatethecubs @ Jan 27, 2005 -> 07:13 PM)
my big worry was maggs signing with the cubs, it doesnt bother me much if he goes to detroit, its just more opportunity for us to kick his ass with our new  team!

Unfortunately, I feel the same way. Perhaps its my conditioning as a Cub-hater, but for Cub management to sign Ordonez, Sosa would have since been traded. Sosa must remain a Cub for the likelihood of clubhouse distractions. In addition, listening to a Chicago Media glorify Maggs, while oblivious to his 8 yrs of service on the southside, would be hell.

The potential of Ordonez battling our team 19 times a years should exceed any resentment of Cubdom, but it doesn't. First, his health remains questionable; second, the addition of Ordonez to Detroit's lineup won't push them into contention.

Maggs to the Tiggies becoming more likely;

Free agent Magglio Ordonez instructed agent Scott Boras to present a contract proposal to the Tigers, which Boras did today.

Boras wouldn't say what he's asking for. The Tigers still haven't watched Ordonez work out, so it seems unlikely that anything will happen this week. Jan. 27 - 8:59 pm et

And that's the 1500th post in this thread. :headbang

And this on Larkin. I wonder if WE were that AL team;

Free agent Barry Larkin said tonight that despite receiving interest from three teams that wanted him as a regular, he likely will opt for retirement.

Larkin said one American League team offered him a job as a starting second baseman, and two NL teams were interested in him as a starting shortstop. He told them he couldn't commit because he still sees himself as a Red. ''I thought eventually I'd be able to say, yeah, I can do this,'' Larkin said. ''But I'm big on loyalty. I couldn't come to grips with making a 100-percent commitment (to another team).'' Jan. 27 - 8:56 pm et

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jan 27, 2005 -> 09:23 PM)
Farnsworth was mentioned in a potential trade w the O's centered around Sosa. If they are willing to toss him in a trade to get rid of a cancer then they might be open to trading him for something they need like Harris.

They have a Left handed hitting 2B who was better than willie last year.

Walker(Willie) -- .274(.262)/.352(.343)/.468(.323)

Can we end the cubbie love?

The Tigers are set to offer Ordonez a 5-year, $70 million contract??? What the f*ck?!?

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews...ts/10752346.htm

Boras seeking Ordonez deal longer than 5 years

By GENE GUIDI

Detroit Free Press

DETROIT - The ball is back in the Tigers' court in their pursuit of free-agent outfielder Magglio Ordonez.

Agent Scott Boras said he received an offer from the Tigers and filed a counteroffer Thursday.

Boras wouldn't elaborate on the Tigers' proposal, but did say he responded with a counteroffer "that would make Magglio a Tiger."

Tigers President and General Manager Dave Dombrowski declined to acknowledge the exchange of contract offers.

"We've expressed that we have an interest in the player, and I don't want to say anything more than that," Dombrowski said.

During dinner Monday night in Miami, owner Mike Ilitch supposedly told Ordonez he would do what was necessary to sign him.

Industry sources said the Tigers' offer could be worth as much as the five-year, $70 million deal Ordonez turned down from the Chicago White Sox last year. Ordonez made $14 million in 2004.

It's believed the sides aren't that far apart on the dollars per year, but Boras could be seeking a seven-year contract for Ordonez, who turns 31 today.

Boras thinks Ordonez's value is high not only because he's the lone remaining free agent who could make a big impact, but because the upcoming free-agent crop looks like it might be weak. For a team like the Tigers, whose farm system has been unproductive, free agency looks like the only way to get better in a hurry.

Ordonez, a four-time All-Star rightfielder and two-time Silver Slugger Award winner, was limited to 52 games in 2004 because of a knee injury. He hit .292 with nine home runs and 37 RBIs in 202 at-bats. In his previous five seasons, Ordonez averaged .312 with 102 runs, 32 homers and 118 RBIs.

On the surface, it seems as if the Tigers are the front-runners to sign him. The Texas Rangers and Chicago Cubs have been mentioned as potential suitors, but those teams seem wary of making a long-term investment in a player coming off knee surgery. Ordonez's left knee was injured in May, and he underwent surgery in June. He later traveled to Austria for a second surgery to repair a tear and received treatment for bone marrow edema, a fluid buildup.

The Baltimore Orioles are another team reportedly interested in Ordonez, but supposedly they want to research his medical records further before becoming serious about signing him.

Boras likely would be open to a multiyear contract similar to the one signed by Ivan Rodriguez last year, which offered the Tigers protection if the catcher suffered a recurrence of the specific back problems he had experienced. If the Tigers agree to a long-term deal with Ordonez, it no doubt would include language that affords them protection if the player's knee trouble returns.

The Tigers' best chance to sign Ordonez might be to complete a deal before another team jumps in, which means their response to Boras' counterproposal could go a long way toward determining if they land the outfielder.

St. Paul Pioneer Press (registration required): "Plans are for Kyle Lohse to be the Twins' starting pitcher for their home opener April 8 against the Chicago White Sox... Lohse, who has high-profile Scott Boras as his agent, has a Feb. 10 salary arbitration hearing scheduled."

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jan 27, 2005 -> 10:22 PM)
The Tigers are set to offer Ordonez a 5-year, $70 million contract???  What the f*ck?!?

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews...ts/10752346.htm

My favorite part is where they get the get money offer and instead of taking the money and running like any good con does, they get even greedier and ask for two more years at similar dough... :fight

That is hilarious. Haven't the Tigers learned anything about giving out long term deals to injury prone players? They just got out from under that horrific Higgenson deal, they almost paid Juan Gonzalez over $140 million, and now they are going to offer Maggs that kind of money? Well I can always take heart in the fact that De-Troit sucks.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 28, 2005 -> 08:29 AM)
That is hilarious.  Haven't the Tigers learned anything about giving out long term deals to injury prone players?  They just got out from under that horrific Higgenson deal, they almost paid Juan Gonzalez over $140 million, and now they are going to offer Maggs that kind of money?  Well I can always take heart in the fact that De-Troit sucks.

What tickles my whiskers is that after a horrendous injury, he has yet to physically workout for any team, and the numerous conflicting doctor reports...Boras is STILL convincing Mags that 5/$70 mil is not good enough.

UN-Believable!!!

WTF? Man, I'm in Colorado and haven't checked the board for like 3 days, this Maggs s*** is mind boggling. There has to be a crucial piece of info missing from these rumors, like Tigers get voidable years.

but it doesn't make a difference, because he's going to give the Cubs a hometown discount

There's nothing to really substantiate a 70/5 deal. They keep making a comparison to the I-ROD deal & that was 40/4. The article does make mention that it will not be a guaranteed contract. It's tied to his ability to play. If he can't play the value is greatly diminished.

I hope he does sign with them. I feel he'll be an albatros around the Tigs.

02-04: Comerica .306A, .359O, .403S, 72AB, 0HR

He still should hit for a high average, but his power will be way down.

It's definitely park related because he has good #'s vs DET arms:

02-04: DET arms .308A, .377O, .514S, 6HR, 146AB