Rumors thread

witesoxfan

I'll bet Clement signs with the Indians, I can't see the Blue Jays being able to beat a three year, eight million per year offer.

Damn, if Clement is healthy, I really don't like the prospect of seeing him and Sabathia on back-to-back days...

And really -- the Indians might just be one starter away.

The Twins could well lose Koskie and Radke (and Guzman). And they'll start w/o Kubel. The Indians could have Sabathia, Lee, Clement, and Westbrook in their rotation. That, plus a dangerous lineup (Hafner, Lawton, Sizemore, Martinez, Peralta/Phillips, and maybe a resurgent Boone), is real trouble. More trouble than the Twins, even with Santana.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And really -- the Indians might just be one starter away.

The Twins could well lose Koskie and Radke (and Guzman).  And they'll start w/o Kubel.  The Indians could have Sabathia, Lee, Clement, and Westbrook in their rotation.  That, plus a dangerous lineup (Hafner, Lawton, Sizemore, Martinez, Peralta/Phillips, and maybe a resurgent Boone), is real trouble.  More trouble than the Twins, even with Santana.

Their bullpen is still awful and i think after clement they are still another starter away.

This is certaintly no surprise. Williams states several months ago he's searching for a top-of-the-rotation pitcher, yet appears overwhelmed in nearly every scenario. If you remove Dereck Lowe, Pedro Martinez, Carl Pavano, Jaret Wright, and Russ Ortiz from potential acquisitions, there remains two starting pitchers (Perez, Radke) worth persuing.

White Sox appear content on acquiring their players from trades. What upsets me is the realization if Williams ever traded talent for Johnson/Mulder/Stud several problems would sprout up. You can't let the status of these players compensate the need for a balanced team. My personal belief was if the White Sox were to sign ONE FA it should be a starting pitcher. Initiate trades for lesser positional roles. Konerko for Hairston/Lugo sounds better than Konerko/Garland/Prospect for Johnson. Free opportunity for anyone to call me crazy. I'm too tired to explain my position again.

Williams was quick to point out at last Spring Training how other teams in the division were light offseason spenders. What will be the excuse next year when division rivals Cleveland and Detroit are noticeably active? I predict he'll eagerly point out midseason aquisitions from last season. "We're very confident in our 1-4. Jason Grilli in the 5th starters spot gives us team a luxury most clubs don't have; a completely solid roation." Perhaps he'll throw in a "If we're in contention early June....." clause for good measure. Anything to distract fans from this organizations unwillingness to properly address holes.

I don't need to wait until Dec. 7, Winter Meetings, or Spring Training to predict the offseason's abysmal conclusion. As Stoney once said: I don't second guess. I first guess.

I just thought this funny.

Sandy Alomar - C - White Sox

Sandy Alomar Jr.'s deal with the Phillies is on hold after an MRI on his left knee raised a red flag.

He's Sandy Alomar. What was the team expecting? His lack of durability is obviously part of his charm. The 73-year-old catcher told the Phillies that the problem with his knee -- a buildup of scar tissue -- has been an issue since 1995 and is manageable. "He said he's ready to play and can definitely do the job for us," manager Charlie Manuel said. "We just need our own peace of mind that he's going to be all right." Dec. 4 - 3:49 am et From rotoworld.

Sandy Alomar Jr.'s deal with the Phillies is on hold after an MRI on his left knee raised a red flag.

He's Sandy Alomar. What was the team expecting? His lack of durability is obviously part of his charm. The 73-year-old catcher told the Phillies that the problem with his knee -- a buildup of scar tissue -- has been an issue since 1995 and is manageable. "He said he's ready to play and can definitely do the job for us," manager Charlie Manuel said. "We just need our own peace of mind that he's going to be all right." Dec. 4 - 3:49 am et From rotoworld.

I hope he gets on with Philly or somewhere though. I liked him when he was here, seemed like he was always a class act.

Agent Scott Shapiro denied a report that the Tigers have offered his client a four-year, $40 million contract.

It's still believed that the Tigers did submit an offer, probably one of four years in length. It may not be worth $40 million, but the Tigers could eventually go that high in their attempt to sign him. With his meeting with Detroit over, Pavano is now en route to New York to visit with the Yankees. Trips to Baltimore, Seattle and Anaheim are still to come.

Some old news, but more confirmation that an offer is on the table for Jaret Wright, from at least us and the Mariners...

The Braves have offered Jaret Wright a contract, but they're not optimistic about keeping him.

The proposal doesn't top Seattle's offer of $15 million over three years. Wright is also believed to have a deal on the table from the White Sox.

Dec. 4 - 1:36 pm et

Some old news, but more confirmation that an offer is on the table for Jaret Wright, from at least us and the Mariners...

Interesting how seattle's deal gets reported and the sox deal doesn't. I think this might be one of the ways for kenny to fly under the radar so some other team doesn't jump in there with a deal to top ours but as always I could be wrong.

You can't blame the Sox for "flying under the radar" after the Vizquel deal.  If that is what they are actually doing.  It doesn't bother me that things appear to quiet from the Sox front office, as long as it's only an appearance.

As long as something gets done, I like this approach better from KW and the Sox.

Kw is the guy who always says what's on his mind, and talks too much, like a guy who's all over the map. Give me a guy who talks less often and speaks only when he has something meaningful to add [like at a press conference announcing a trade or a signing].

The team is optimistic that by Tuesday night it will have re-signed the double-play combination of shortstop Nomar Garciaparra and second baseman Todd Walker..... Look for Garciaparra to receive about $8 million in salary for 2005, plus incentives based on games played.

Looks like the Scrubs will get these two back. $8 million seems a reasonable price for a year of Nomar's services.

Looks like the Scrubs will get these two back.  $8 million seems a reasonable price for a year of Nomar's services.

Also the cubs will offer arbitration to Clement. This sucks because I want us to get Clement but I dont want to give them a draft pick for him.

That or the Sox have never really made an offer.  Hopefully they are just flying under the radar though.

Or they won't report details of the offer because, even though it might be worth more than the Mariner's offer, it's probably so chock full of incentives, "Diminished Skills" clauses, and backloading that no one really knows how much of the offer is guaranteed money.

You'd probably have to include a legend with the article to understand any White Sox offer of 3+ years :lol:

I understand why they don't want Sammy anymore, but I don't understand why they want to go after Maggs. I'm sure they are worried about Sammy's diminishing skills, but Maggs is still coming off a pretty major injury. If they want to make a splash, with the three they mentioned, they should go after Moises. Also, injury prone, but he's put up some nice numbers the last couple of years. Personally, Hidalgo is the way to go...younger, has potential, etc. But, what do I know......

No really, what do I know?

I loved the sentence, "His lack of durability is obviously part of his charm." :lol: The Phils resigned Pratt, so Sandy's still unemployed.

I don't know how credible the source is, but aparrently Troy Glaus is going to sign with the D'Backs.

Link

Sources close to Troy Glaus told me late Sunday night that the former Angels' third baseman will sign a deal with the Arizona Diamondbacks, possibly as soon as Monday. It will be a 3 or 4 year contract for around 10 million per season. More details to follow..........

Nic Johnson was mentioned before (and it lead to a thread being locked) but this is from Peter Gammons.

"According to ESPN's Peter Gammons, the Blue Jays and Nationals have discussed swapping Alexis Rios and Nick Johnson.

Interesting if true. Considering that Johnson had more injury problems last season and is moving closer to free agency, he's probably not as valuable as Rios at the moment. Still, Johnson fits in better with the Blue Jays' offensive philosophy. Maybe something could be worked out if the Nationals throw in a prospect or even Tony Armas Jr."

AL Central Rumors

The Twins aren't yet close to re-signing Brad Radke, according to the right-hander's agent.

"We've exchanged proposals," Simon said, "but we're pretty far apart." It's believed the Twins are offering $22.5 million over three years. Radke likely will be offered arbitration. Dec. 7 - 3:35 am et

The Twins improved their offer to Corey Koskie, going to $7.5 million over two seasons.

That's just not enough. It's unclear whether the Twins will offer arbitration to Koskie. It might serve to scare off the competition, especially the Blue Jays, but if he accepts, he'd make quite a bit more in 2005 than the team would like. Dec. 7 - 3:33 am et