Rumors thread

witesoxfan

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the Sox bring back Valentin, KW needs to be run out of town. They just got rid of that bozo. I would rather see Uribe playing SS than him again.

I hope Valentin ends up in Pittsburg or somewhere. I'd hate to see him in Minnesota or on the North Side because you just KNOW he'll burn us in a big game.

I would of liked to see Vinny Castilla at 3rd instead of Joe Creepie, but he just signed with Washington as well, and was cheap.

Not in a million years. Castilla is one players I can honestly say that Joe Crede is light years above, especially when you factor in the money Vinny would have cost us.

Is it safe to say rowand, lee, and guillen would be a top ten outfield? I think they would be closer to the top five.

If each of them produced at least years rate, I'd say it would be a top 3 outfield. The Angels could be better if it acquired Carlos Beltran (That would potentially be the greatest outfield of all time).

I'm just saying I would expect them to try and move Everett 1st before we tried to acquire a Jose Guillen. I mean we would be able to trade for Guillen even if we had Everett, but we probably wouldn't be filling the holes that we most need to. I know there's a lot of people who want to trade for him, because of his numbers, but there's been a reason he's been on a lot of different ballclubs throughout the last few seasons. I'm just worried we'll have another D'Angelo Jimenez situation on our hands.

I think Kenny has already hinted that they don't intend to use Everett as RF. I think they either move Konerko and just live with Everett as a part time DH/outfielder or move Lee and go with Everett or Gload in LF while picking up a RF like Dye/Guillen/etc.

ESPN 1000 is reporting the Sox are taking a good look at Chacon... should be looking at Percival instead. JMO

I still don't have a problem with Chacon, assuming it won't cost much in terms of minor leaguers. Chacon has loads of potential and could turn into a very good setup man and if all things fail or an injury happens he can also be an effective back of the rotation starter.

By the way, I would be thrilled if the Sox signed Matt Clement.

I still don't have a problem with Chacon, assuming it won't cost much in terms of minor leaguers.  Chacon has loads of potential and could turn into a very good setup man and if all things fail or an injury happens he can also be an effective back of the rotation starter.

By the way, I would be thrilled if the Sox signed Matt Clement.

I too think Chacon would be a good sign. Nothing to lose with this guy, he had dynamite stuff before the Rocks tried to make him a closer...somthing that would not happen on the South Side.

However, my agreement ends at Matt Clement. I think that has a "bad sign" all over it. Nothing special, one good year...will probably produce Garland-type numbers in 2005. The last thing we need is another and expensive Garland.

However, my agreement ends at Matt Clement.  I think that has a "bad sign" all over it.  Nothing special, one good year...will probably produce Garland-type numbers in 2005.  The last thing we need is another and expensive Garland.

Not sure if he's the best option, but...one good year? Each of his last 3 years has been pretty good.

I too think Chacon would be a good sign.  Nothing to lose with this guy, he had dynamite stuff before the Rocks tried to make him a closer...somthing that would not happen on the South Side.

However, my agreement ends at Matt Clement.  I think that has a "bad sign" all over it.  Nothing special, one good year...will probably produce Garland-type numbers in 2005.  The last thing we need is another and expensive Garland.

I would love Clement, AS LONG AS, both his elbow and shoulder are 100%. With that slider of his, he could blow out a ligament at any second.

He's arbitration eligible, he made about $1.8 mil last season.

So the question is whether he'll get a raise because of his save numbers or will his salary stay the same because of the high ERA.

I was going to say if he was due some big raise the Sox could potentially swing Everett and a prospect for Chacon but I guess that isn't an option cause Chacon at most would make 2.5 next year.

I like the idea of Chacon, assuming the Sox don't have to give up anyone amazing for him. I think he's one of those high reward type of guys that could really pan out.

Amazing thing I saw was the Rockies had a bigger payroll than the Sox did last season...what's with that?

They probably had more guys on the DL (payroll wise) then the Sox had in terms of payroll. Preston Wilson, Denny Neagle, still paying some of Mike Hamptons contract, Charles Johnson, Todd Helton, Larry Walker. They probably have amassed what I would call the team of the worse contracts in baseball (at least last year).

So the question is whether he'll get a raise because of his save numbers or will his salary stay the same because of the high ERA. 

I was going to say if he was due some big raise the Sox could potentially swing Everett and a prospect for Chacon but I guess that isn't an option cause Chacon at most would make 2.5 next year.

I like the idea of Chacon, assuming the Sox don't have to give up anyone amazing for him.  I think he's one of those high reward type of guys that could really pan out.

I don't see why we would want him. His era obviously was horrible last season. And this isn't purely a Coors field effect -- he gives up a ton of walks, and his era away from Coors was over 6. That's exactly what we should be trying to get away from (the walks especially).

I don't see why we would want him.  His era obviously was horrible last season.  And this isn't purely a Coors field effect -- he gives up a ton of walks, and his era away from Coors was over 6.  That's exactly what we should be trying to get away from (the walks especially).

We all know Kenny is big on high reward guys and Chacon is a big-time high reward guy. Kenny must have seen enough of his stuff, excluding last year, although at times he looked fantastic, to think that he can pull of a "Loaiza" type comeback. Now, I'm not saying he will put up Loaiza numbers, not at all; but what he can do, is be the set-up guy we have been trying so hard for or he can act as a serviceable long-man in the pen. Either way you look at it...Chacon has "high reward guy" written all over.

More on Shawn Chacon:

A source has indicated the White Sox have an interest in acquiring Rockies reliever Shawn Chacon, an All-Star in 2003. The Rockies have been trying to trade the arbitration-eligible right-hander, but the Sox are not looking to make a deal. Instead, the belief is that the Rockies will not be able to trade Chacon and he will not be tendered a contract by the team, making him a free agent. The Cubs have been rumored to be interested in Chacon, as well, with the intention of making him a middle reliever.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chacon would be a good free agent signing at the right price.

More on Shawn Chacon:

A source has indicated the White Sox have an interest in acquiring Rockies reliever Shawn Chacon, an All-Star in 2003. The Rockies have been trying to trade the arbitration-eligible right-hander, but the Sox are not looking to make a deal. Instead, the belief is that the Rockies will not be able to trade Chacon and he will not be tendered a contract by the team, making him a free agent. The Cubs have been rumored to be interested in Chacon, as well, with the intention of making him a middle reliever.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chacon would be a good free agent signing at the right price.

Rumor is that he is looking at about 2.5-3 mil in arbit? How much less could he come for as a FA?