Rumors thread

witesoxfan

QUOTE (ISF @ Dec 31, 2004 -> 11:02 PM)
I'm sorry, I know I haven't taken Geography as a course in over 12 years, but when did Chicago move to the East Coast?

Of our 5 starters, Jon Garland is now the cheapest at 3.5 mil. I just can't see, based on our payroll, trading for Vazquez. KW specifically stated we only would have traded Konerko for RJ.

Those things tell me someone is recycling old news. Vazquez isn't coming to Chicago.

Based on how badly the sox were after Vazquez before, you have to think the sox would be willing to see what his asking price is now. It's got to be less, certainly not the PK and Garland price as rumored before.

I think the Sox prob. won't get Vazquez for the simple fact that AZ is a very poor judge of talent. the Sox would offer them a good deal that they'll decline and get crap from another team [like the bucket of spit from the O's, with 5 no-talent guys going to AZ]

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Rockies are still talking to Robb Nen about coming to Colorado on a minor league contract.

The Angels are also interested and the Giants still could re-sign him even though he wasn't offered arbitration, but the Rockies can offer Nen a chance to close, which he may appreciate. Nen will keep rehabbing for now and could wait a few more weeks to pick a team. Jan. 1 - 4:56 am et

I'd love to get him in to ST on a minor league deal.

QUOTE (upnorthsox @ Jan 1, 2005 -> 08:45 AM)

I'd love to get him in to ST on a minor league deal.

Oh ya, that would be fantastic. Kenny could just throw something out there. I mean I'd think he'd pick the Angels over anyone.

I know he's in the Orange County area a whole lot because he does physical therapy at a local place my friend works at.

Definatley worth a chance, but if the Angels are in it I think he'd go there.

QUOTE (JUGGERNAUT @ Dec 31, 2004 -> 01:49 PM)
Another shake your head signing:

Wade Miller (7-7; 74; 3.35; Astros) 45W in 3 yrs. BOS signed him to a 1.5M/1yr deal + 3M in incentives.

I can't help but think .. Kenny .. did you call his agent? This is not a 69-75 career Matt Clement signing for 26M/3. This was something the CWS could afford it. If it didn't work out, you lose a small amount of money. If it does work out, you reap the rewards. It bounces Contreras/Garland out of the rotation but I'll take a healthy Miller over them any day.

I would imagine so. Ken Rosenthal was reporting that the Sox were talking about trading Lee to the Astros for Miller.

Not a rumor, but a former Sox doing well. Per Rotoworld:

Minor league free agent Bill Simas earned his seventh save of the Puerto Rican League season by pitching a scoreless inning yesterday.

Simas has allowed one run and 12 hits in 18 1/3 innings for Mayaguez. He'll show up in spring training with some club.

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Jan 1, 2005 -> 10:55 PM)
I would imagine so. Ken Rosenthal was reporting that the Sox were talking about trading Lee to the Astros for Miller.

Man I would have loved for that to happen, I would have gotten to see Carlos play all the time :angry:

Per Rotoworld, Green is Arizona bound:

The Dodgers have agreed in principle to send Shawn Green and cash to the Diamondbacks for two players, the Los Angeles Times reports.

Dioner Navarro will be one of the players, assuming that the Randy Johnson trade goes through. If something goes wrong there, the Dodgers reportedly would get either Chris Snyder or Koyie Hill. The other player will be a pitcher. The Times reports that it's a prospect, which would seem to rule out Mike Koplove. Brad Halsey could be a possibility. Bill Murphy, who like Hill was sent from Los Angeles to Arizona in the Steve Finley deal, is another. Green will need to waive his no-trade clause to make the deal work, but that probably won't be a problem. The Diamondbacks are willing to sign him to an extension. Jan. 3 - 3:57 am et

I wonder if Green will play first base for Arizona instead of the outfield. If the D-Backs do trade Vazquez to the O's for that package including Matos and/or Bigbie I think, that could be a distinct possibility. Suppose it would depend on where Chad Tracy plays as well I guess, unless he stays as third base.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jan 3, 2005 -> 10:18 AM)
I wonder if Green will play first base for Arizona instead of the outfield. If the D-Backs do trade Vazquez to the O's for that package including Matos and/or Bigbie I think, that could be a distinct possibility. Suppose it would depend on where Chad Tracy plays as well I guess, unless he stays as third base.

Green will probably play RF. AZ has Tracy and Hillenbrand to play 1B. Not to mention Glaus if he can't play 3B.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jan 3, 2005 -> 04:45 AM)
Green will probably play RF. AZ has Tracy and Hillenbrand to play 1B. Not to  mention Glaus if he can't play 3B.

I was really thinking that they were gonna non-tender hillenbrand. Now it is a no brainer in my opinion that he will be traded. If not, i don't really see where else on the diamond backs that he can play.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jan 3, 2005 -> 11:01 AM)
I was really thinking that they were gonna non-tender hillenbrand. Now it is a no brainer in my opinion that he will be traded. If not, i don't really see where else on the diamond backs that he can play.

The DBacks are pretty messed up. They have like 12 IFers, [with Counsell and Clayton signed] and no OFers. And little pitching

Cubs next outfield target possibly; :ph34r:

"If, as expected, Beltran winds up somewhere other than Chicago, Hendry will turn his attention to another outfielder. The leading candidate now appears to be 35-year-old Jeromy Burnitz, a left-handed batter who hit .283 with 37 home runs, 110 RBI and a .356 on-base percentage last year for the Colorado Rockies."

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jan 3, 2005 -> 07:27 AM)
Cubs next outfield target possibly;  :ph34r:

Yeesh, I didn't think that team could strike out anymore but if they get Burnitz......wow.

EDIT: They do have some players that don't strike out that much but if they got Burnitz, basically half their lineup would strike out a ton.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jan 3, 2005 -> 01:30 PM)
Yeesh, I didn't think that team could strike out anymore but if they get Burnitz......wow.

EDIT: They do have some players that don't strike out that much but if they got Burnitz, basically half their lineup would strike out a ton.

But they re-signed Todd Walker!

For a team that needed bullpen help, and changes to their everyday lineup like the Sox did, the Cubs changes so far might get them 3rd place. Esp with Cinc. making some solid moves, MIL getting better, their division will be stronger

But they re-signed Todd Walker!

For a team that needed bullpen help, and changes to their everyday lineup like the Sox did, the Cubs changes so far might get them 3rd place. Esp with Cinc. making some solid moves, MIL getting better, their division will be stronger

Todd walker Hands down best signing of the off-season :rolly

The Cubs are banking on healthy years from allot of players

Prior

Wood

Nomar

A-Ram

They have done nothing to improve themsleves, like Beck said they have a ton of bullpen needs, no closer, and a hole in LF.. I know allot of people here were b****ing cause the Sox were doing nothing (me included) but, look at the Scrubs, still alot of holes and so far JH doing nothing to fix them

Me like the fast reply option a lot! About time.

The D'Backs come away smoking. I don't see why you can't see it.

In exchange for RJ they get 17M, S Green, Javier Vazquez, & Halsley.

Who wouldn't make that trade?

Apparently if Vazquez can't play for the NYY's then he wants to return to the NL. So that makes the Phillies the prime target if doesn't want to play for AZD.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jan 3, 2005 -> 03:41 PM)
Me like the fast reply option a lot!  About time.

The D'Backs come away smoking.  I don't see why you can't see it.

In exchange for RJ they get 17M, S Green, Javier Vazquez, & Halsley.

Who wouldn't make that trade?

Apparently if Vazquez can't play for the NYY's then he wants to return to the NL.  So that makes the Phillies the prime target if doesn't want to play for AZD.

Halsey might be a part of the green trade too.

Greenie should hit about 35 bombs or so in that park. I gotta figure he's going to RF though. I also don't believe Glaus will be able to hold up for 4 years at 3rd. They want to extend Green's deal and AI don't think he loves playing first or anything. Is there a bigger trainwreck in baseball right now (excluding the Mets)? They are like the 49ers of baseball. Nobody has any clue as to what they are doing. They have a goofy front office and spend like they got a new Visa Platinum card despite crying debt. This team is crazy.

These reports about AZD are very much maligned. As the worst team in MLB in 2004 they still drew about 2,519,560 fans. Good for 15th. They have paid their entrance dues into the league & will now be keeping most of the media revenue dollars.

They are no where near close to being the next expos. They ranked 16th in total revenue in 2003 & didn't slip much further in 2004. In 2005 they will see a major jump in their media revenues.

Think of it this way. If they keep Vazquez then they traded RJ a #1 for Vazquez a #1 & a #4 hitter in S Green. That's pretty good.

The Glaus signing was insane. I agree. They would have been much better off signing Koskie. But this front office seems to lock in on players it really wants & that's a hit or miss proposition. That aren't thinking about risk. Only gain. Sink or swim ... no floating.

These reports about AZD are very much maligned.  As the worst team in MLB  in 2004 they still drew about 2,519,560 fans.  Good for 15th.  They have paid their entrance dues into the league & will now be keeping most of the media revenue dollars. 

They are no where near close to being the next expos.  They ranked 16th in total revenue in 2003 & didn't slip much further in 2004.  In 2005 they will see a major jump in their media revenues. 

Think of it this way.  If they keep Vazquez then they traded RJ a #1 for Vazquez a #1 & a #4 hitter in S Green.  That's pretty good.

The Glaus signing was insane.  I agree.  They would have been much better off signing Koskie.  But this front office seems to lock in on players it really wants & that's a hit or miss proposition.  That aren't thinking about risk.  Only gain.  Sink or swim ... no floating.

I dont know how you could possibly think of green as a #4 hitter. His numbers are that of a 6 or 7 hitter at this point. I know the dodgers always wanted his power numbers to be better than they were, but his season last year was pathetic for a cleanup

I think Javy being a #1 is a tough sell this year. I really thought he had a shot at winning the CY last year (so did Steve Stone is a far greater authority on pitching than I or most) but then he was very enigmatic. I could see a bounceback this year but not sure if he's ready to really turn that corner.