Rumors thread

witesoxfan

The Dodgers are moving close to a four-year, $36 million contract with Derek Lowe.

It's hard to believe Paul DePodesta is going to give Lowe that much money. We're guessing that this means he's still confident he can dump Shawn Green. Jan. 7 - 9:12 pm et

Looking at this offseason with so many free agent pitchers getting big bucks, I just feel that Kenny has done a hell of a job. Lowe is getting $9 mil/year!!! If El Duque can stay healthy, we would have the best bargained pitcher of this offseason. Well, the second best if Wade Miller do the same for Boston.

With such a tight and restricted budget, Kenny is still able to fill all of the holes with potentially good players. What a guy!

I was against Carlos Lee trade at first, but after seeing what we get out of it, I am just soooo happy.

Lee = Podsednik, Vizcaino, Pierzynski, El Duque and PTBNL. What a steal!

:notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why the f*** is he going to sox fest again?

The Cardinals will announce the signing of manager Tony La Russa to a three-year contract next week.

La Russa and GM Walt Jocketty both had contracts expire at the end of the season, but there was never any doubt that either would return. Jocketty will get his new deal later this winter. Jan. 8 - 4:41 am et

From Rotoworld:

Robb Nen - R - SF

Free agent Robb Nen (shoulder) recently threw off the mound back-to-back days without discomfort.

We suppose that's a good sign. The Rockies are trying to sign Nen and give him a chance to compete for the closer's role. However, Nen may wait until next month before making any decisions. Jan. 8 - 2:17 pm et

Source: Denver Post

Maybe he's worth re-signing for a minor league deal?

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 8, 2005 -> 08:24 PM)
From Rotoworld:

Robb Nen - R - SF

Free agent Robb Nen (shoulder) recently threw off the mound back-to-back days without discomfort.

We suppose that's a good sign. The Rockies are trying to sign Nen and give him a chance to compete for the closer's role. However, Nen may wait until next month before making any decisions. Jan. 8 - 2:17 pm et

Source: Denver Post

Maybe he's worth re-signing for a minor league deal?

take a care and sign hi. i would hate it if they don't take a chance. very much like wade miller, we should have taken a chance with him as well.

Per rotoworld Maggs news. Walker didnt want to sign with us bcoz of his fear of what cubs fans will say. Maggs should have the same philosophy if he respect us sox fans.

Magglio Ordoñez - OF - CWS

The Tigers have joined the Cubs and Orioles in showing interest in free agent Magglio Ordonez.

Ordonez was recently cleared to resume baseball activities and is likely to work out for teams later this month. He might remain unsigned into February. Jan. 8 - 8:21 pm et

Source: MLB.com

QUOTE(bulokis @ Jan 8, 2005 -> 07:39 PM)
Per rotoworld Maggs news. Walker didnt want to sign with us bcoz of his fear of what cubs fans will say. Maggs should have the same philosophy if he respect us.

Are you sure thats why walker didnt or wouldnt want to sign with us? Because hes afraid of what cub fans might say about him? Honestly I dont think maggs or anyother player will worry about what his old team thinks about him. Its more about money and being on a contending team.

QUOTE(bulokis @ Jan 8, 2005 -> 07:39 PM)
Per rotoworld Maggs news. Walker didnt want to sign with us bcoz of his fear of what cubs fans will say. Maggs should have the same philosophy if he respect us sox fans.

Magglio Ordoñez - OF - CWS

The Tigers have joined the Cubs and Orioles in showing interest in free agent Magglio Ordonez.

Ordonez was recently cleared to resume baseball activities and is likely to work out for teams later this month. He might remain unsigned into February. Jan. 8 - 8:21 pm et

Source: MLB.com

I wouldn't bet on that point of view. He may not sign with the Cubs, but I doubt that "respect for Sox fans" figures into the equation.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jan 9, 2005 -> 04:30 PM)
I wouldn't bet on that point of view.  He may not sign with the Cubs, but I doubt that "respect for Sox fans" figures into the equation.

That'd be the last thing on Bora$$ mind as evidenced by the events of tonight.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jan 9, 2005 -> 05:37 PM)
Damn.  I'm sorry to hear that.  But with Boras as his agent, it was expected.

Going into today the Astros thought they had a real chance, and now the owner says he wasn't re-signed because of a "minor sticking point" (see thread in sports bar).

From the Miami Herald:

CHATTER

• Although the Marlins like Luis Castillo and would be happy to keep him, a Marlins insider said one reason they re-signed Damion Easley was to give them the option of trading Castillo and his $4.5 million salary.

IMO, the Sox should "pay any price" to get Castillo. The perfect guy for 2b, who can hit #2 or leadoff vs LHP.

Here's the link:

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/10601746.htm

Astros possibly interested in Soriano;

"Beltran's decision to leave the Astros came as a shock to many in the industry, and will now spur Houston to acquire Alfonso Soriano from Texas, according to a National League executive."

2 teams interested in Shoe. I hope the Indians don't get him; :ph34r:

"The Texas Rangers and Cleveland Indians are showing interest in former White Sox left-hander Scott Schoeneweis, who went 6-9 with a 5.59 ERA during a 2004 season interrupted by elbow problems."

I do not know what Beltran is thinking. Is he just a poor student of math?

Does he trust Boras so much that he doesn't bother to listen or read newspaper articles?

If the rumors are true about the Mets offer than Beltran is basically walking away from the Astros for the same contract value to join the Mets. It's not just that there is no state income tax in Texas. NY has one of the highest state income taxes. If you leave your team for as little as a 3-5% bump in salary then you're a fool. Especially when the city has opened thier arms to you.

All he needed to do was to perform at an all-star level (not MVP level)

& that would have been enough to secure the best sports star related endorsements in the Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, & Austin markets.

Those 4 cities combine to have a market value bigger than that of Chicago's.

He's choosen to leave a team & a park where he had the best success of his career for about a 3-5% gain in salary. For those of you who think that's a good move please explain why.

good point juggernaut. i don't know what the 'stros situation is, but they had a good team last year, and i bet they would be at least as successful as the mets this year if not more. now he can go get whipped by the braves instead of whipping on the cubs. oh well.

QUOTE(frahungski @ Jan 9, 2005 -> 08:43 PM)
just saw on ESPNEWS that they wouldn't take the astro's deal because there was a limited no trade clause.  the mets gave him a full no trade clause in his contract.  so there's our answer.

Now im sure the mets will regret this when they are trying to get rid of Beltran's massive contract in 2 or 3 years. That Scott Boras is a monster!

QUOTE(chisox2334 @ Jan 10, 2005 -> 03:20 AM)
The Blue Jays and Billy Koch reportedly have agreed to terms on a minor league contract.

Hope they have fun with that. All he needs to do is start taking steroids again and he should become his old self.

Yep. I read the same thing. Money-wise it was a wash.

McLane had upped his offer to 108/7. The Mets offer (after deferred $ considerations) is 115/7. The difference in taxes betw NY & TX actually equate the Astro offer better than the Mets.

But the Astros were offering only a 2yr no-trade clause. The Mets were offering a full no-trade clause. But the Astros didn't stop there. To make up for the limited no-trade they offered an 8th year option at 16M w a 2M buyout. Upping the total value to 110/7 guaranteed.

I think Beltran allowed Boras to fast talk him into signing a deal that makes Boras a richer man. No-trade clauses are over-rated in this day & age. Look at the Vazquez situation. He doesn't have the clause but as part of the MLBPA contract he can demand a trade in the middle of a multi-year contract. So essentially any player that has substantial value can simply speak his mind & have a similar impact as a no-trade.

The bottom line is this. If the Mets still suck & Beltran struggles bye-bye endorsement money. Whereas the Astros never suck. They field a competitive team yr in & yr out just like the CWS. He knows the field & has enjoyed success hitting there. The endorsement money was a near lock. Beltran would have earned more with Houston. Boras stole that from him.

The New York Post says that the cubs have upped the $ offer to make a swap of Floyd for Sosa financially even for the Mets. But the Mets want more & they might just get it.

The Mets are in a position to blackmail the cubs into offering more $ with Sosa in exchange for the Mets dropping out of the Maggs bidding. The Mets are prepared to out-bid the cubs for Maggs.

Wth NY, BOS, ANA, & LAD soon to be tapped out financially that leaves the cubs & Mets as the two biggest bidders for Maggs.