Rumors thread

witesoxfan

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Santana will only be do around 5 (give or take 1) during arbitration. Were he only a year away from free agency he probably could command that 11 million dollar tag. Let's face it, any conversation you have involving one pitcher you could start your staff with as a gm would have Johan in the conversation. He's worth 10-12 in my eyes.

Most people here probably know, but it's worth reiterating: Arbitration is non-negotiable. If a player wants 8 and the team wants 1, the arbitrator can't just pick 5 if that's what he thinks. The arbitrator has to choose amongst the two figures. I think you are right about Gagne losing his case last year.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Jan 12, 2005 -> 11:03 PM)
Most people here probably know, but it's worth reiterating: Arbitration is non-negotiable. If a player wants 8 and the team wants 1, the arbitrator can't just pick 5 if that's what he thinks. The arbitrator has to choose amongst the two figures. I think you are right about Gagne losing his case last year.

Yeah, I think the arbitration system should be reformed, I always thought it was weird that there's a win/lose system...

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Jan 12, 2005 -> 04:46 PM)
arbitration is sometimes a crap shoot... I don't remember the exact numbers but I know people were suprised how little Gagne ended up getting last off-season

Player Team Asked Offered 2003 Salary

Eric gagne Dodgers $8,000,000 $5,000,000 $550,000

After halladay won the cy young in 2003.

Team Asked Offered 2003 Salary

Roy halladay Blue Jays $9,000,000 $6,500,000 $3,825,000

Doesn't the arbitrator have to choose between what the player's asking & what the team's offering?

In Santana's case, I believe the arbitrator considers the price of his peers.

The cost for starters went up considerably this year with all these insane contracts. I think that makes his situation different than Halladay's.

So if Santana's asking for 9/10 & the team is offering 6 but the average cost for a #1 is 7/8 then Santana is likely to win.

Yes. Basically the arbitrator decides if the player's worth is closer to management's figure or the player's figure, and they get that figure. Example: If Santana's figure was $10 million and the Twins was $8 million. If the arbitrator figured Santana deserved $9,000,000.01 he would get $10 million. If he decided he was worth $8,999,999.99 he would get $8 million.

Raul Mondesi and the Braves have agreed to a one-year, $1 million contract, the AP reports.

At that price, it's a nice signing by John Schuerholz. Mondesi said he picked the Braves over the Orioles because he was promised a starting job. He'll likely play right field and bat sixth or seventh. Jan. 13 - 5:02 pm et

The Devil Rays are believed to be looking at signing Roberto Alomar to play second base.

The Rays could keep getting older and not better. We're not certain about Jorge Cantu either, but since he is strong defensively, he's a better bet for 2005 than either Alomar or Alex Gonzalez. Jan. 14 - 5:00 am et

Source: St. Petersburg Times

Danny Bautista's one-year deal with the Rays is worth $1.9 million. He can make $100,000 in incentives.

Once Bautista passes his physical and Jeff Niemann signs, the Rays are going to have to open a couple of 40-man roster spots. Candidates to go could include C/DH Pete LaForest, OF Matt Diaz, RHP Jose Diaz, RHP John Webb and LHP Bobby Seay. Jan. 14 - 3:33 am et

Oh how I wonder how that KC journalist is feeling right about now; :ph34r: :lol:

First baseman Mike Sweeney, frustrated with the Royals' shallow plunge into the off-season free-agent market, said Thursday he felt “misled” by the team's plan to build a contender around him and would not rule out trade possibilities. Minutes before he signed a club-record five-year, $55 million contract extension March 29, 2002, Sweeney and Royals owner David Glass spoke about the team's future. Sweeney said Glass told him he planned to increase the team's payroll incrementally until it ended up in the $60 million range. After spending $44.7 million on last season's 104-loss team, the Royals' 2005 payroll currently projects to between $41 million and $42 million. Instant Rumor: The Dodgers have a hole at 1B with Hee Seop Choi a question mark... Sweeney is from Southern California and would be a perfect clean up hitter for LA...

Here's rotoworld's take on Mike Sweeney:

Feeling he's been misled by the Royals, Mike Sweeney is more open to the possibility of a trade.

"I want a chance to play in October," Sweeney said, apparently not realizing that that would require being healthy in September. It's hard to feel any sympathy for a player that isn't willing to acknowledge he's hurting his team by staying at first base. Not only is he an inferior defender, but he's increasing the chances that he'll continue to get hurt. It's very unlikely that Sweeney will be dealt before the season, but the Royals might be able to pay someone to take his contract in July. Jan. 14 - 5:12 am et

Source: Kansas City Star

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jan 14, 2005 -> 08:26 AM)
Maybe a team who misses out on Delgado could be interested in Sweeney, but I'd seriously doubt it. There'd be better targets to go after like Mark Teixeira.

It just depends on who's available. Sweeney is a definite health risk.

QUOTE(chi-guy2 @ Jan 14, 2005 -> 10:41 AM)
wowi forgot sweeney was on the market, he would definitely be one of the sleeper free agents out there, he could possibly go to one of the teams that doesnt get delgado like the rangers and or the marlins

Sweeney is not a free agent.

The Orioles began gathering medical information on free agent outfielder Magglio Ordoñez, who missed most of last season with a knee injury and as a result may command less in salary.

-- Washington Post

read that on si.com...

to add to it a little I heard on the radio (I think ESPN) that the Orioles are doing more than just looking at the records that Boras provided... they are talking to doctors who examined him... but with the medical privacy laws in-place I'm sure this was arrainged by Boras

QUOTE(DonkeyKongerko @ Jan 14, 2005 -> 11:25 PM)
I feel bad for Sweeney either way.  He signed for that price because he wants to be with that team and see them do well.  He doesn't deserve to be lied to like that.

I agree... this is why I hope the baseball economics change... I mean I b**** as much as everyone else about the Sox payroll, but at least they stay competitive... what would the point of being a KC or Pitt fan be? You have no chance of being competitive or keeping your stars

QUOTE(DonkeyKongerko @ Jan 14, 2005 -> 11:25 PM)
I feel bad for Sweeney either way.  He signed for that price because he wants to be with that team and see them do well.  He doesn't deserve to be lied to like that.

I agree... this is why I hope the baseball economics change... I mean I b**** as much as everyone else about the Sox payroll, but at least they stay competitive... what would the point of being a KC or Pitt fan be? You have no chance of being competitive or keeping your stars

According to the Bergen Record, the Mets and A's are moving closer to swapping Mike Cameron for Eric Byrnes.

Chad Bradford could also be included for financial purposes. If that's the case, we wonder if the A's will get Orber Moreno thrown into the deal. Jan. 16 - 2:47 pm et

Source: Rotoworld