Rumors thread

witesoxfan

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Milwaukee Journal Sentinel (registration required): "Barring a last-minute snag in negotiations, the Milwaukee Brewers are expected to announce today they have reached agreement on a three-year deal with free-agent catcher Damian Miller, a native of La Crosse."

That throws the Red Sox's contingency plans for a catcher into a snag. They've only offered Varitek a 4 year deal probably about $8 milllion a season I'd guess, but Bora$$ won't move from a 5 year $10 million deal.

I can't see a team offering a 5 yr deal, beating the Red Sox offer. Even though Boras has said a team offered a 5 yr deal.

That throws the Red Sox's contingency plans for a catcher into a snag. They've only offered Varitek a 4 year deal probably about $8 milllion a season I'd guess, but Bora$$ won't move from a 5 year $10 million deal.

He may move now .... to $11 million per.

Boston Herald: "(Red) Sox officials already have expressed interest in free agent Placido Polanco, whom they believe could offer flexibility at second, third and even shortstop... The (Red) Sox have expressed some interest in free agent third baseman Troy Glaus, though baseball sources have measured the interest as lukewarm for an assortment of reasons, including his injury history."

I added the (Red) to this quote to avoid confusion.

Question though. Why would they be interested in Polanco when they could sign the greatest defensive SS in the game?

Brad Radke, who said earlier this month that he may only want to pitch two more years, will insist on a three-year deal, according to his agent.

The Twins' first offer was believed to be worth $15 million over two years. Agent Ron Simon plans to deliver a counterproposal prior to Minnesota before Thanksgiving. He said that Radke has received "serious offers" from other teams. Nov. 23 - 3:24 am et

That could be very good news.

Damn I hope so. If the Randy Johnson stuff doesn't work out, I would love to see the Sox jump on Radke. Getting him away from the Twins would be worth it all by itself.

The White Sox got a mention in today's Boston Herald.

http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSox/view...articleid=55510

QUOTE..

"A wild card in the shortstop sweepstakes are the White Sox, who have money to spend and do not intend to give it to Jose Valentin, their aging shortstop who batted only .216 but with a career-high 30 homers. Having them become a suitor for Garciaparra cannot be ruled out, especially with Chicago owner Jerry Reinsdorf having a good relationship with the shortstop's agent, Arn Tellem."

Signing Clement just got tougher.

Unable to reach an agreement on a one-year deal that pleases both sides, Al Leiter and the Mets finally were able to come to terms on something: It's time both sides stop talking to each other and start looking elsewhere... According to a source familiar with the situation, the Mets have already targeted Cubs free-agent righthander Matt Clement as their top replacement for Leiter."

Signing Clement just got tougher.

The Mets [along with Bos and the Yanks] always seem to be targeting every player, and the favorite to land them. The Mets are a horrible franchise. Why a FA would willingly go there [besides the money] is beyond me-though Minaya has to be an upgrade over the GM's of the past there.

Mostly though, Clement doesn't strike me as NY kind of guy. Esp if he likes the city of Chi.

Leiter suddenly becoming available just possibly gave KW a lot more leverage. If we were able to sign Leiter to say a 2 year deal, we wouldn't have to trade for RJ anymore, as we'd have 5 capable starters possibly. Then we could work with Pittsburgh on a Konerko and Garland for Kendall and Craig Wilson deal possibly, and then the Sox could still be in the running for a SS or some more bullpen pieces. I doubt it will happen though, since I think Leiter would prefer to stay in the NL if possible, but the Yanks will probably be interested in him now though, which could make the chances of Jon Lieber resigning with him shorten dramatically, since they're already likely to lock up Eric Milton to a 3 year deal.

The White Sox got a mention in today's Boston Herald.

http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSox/view...articleid=55510

QUOTE..

"A wild card in the shortstop sweepstakes are the White Sox, who have money to spend and do not intend to give it to Jose Valentin, their aging shortstop who batted only .216 but with a career-high 30 homers. Having them become a suitor for Garciaparra cannot be ruled out, especially with Chicago owner Jerry Reinsdorf having a good relationship with the shortstop's agent, Arn Tellem."

I swear to god they must of been hear reading some of our posts. That seems awfully familiar to what me, 2k, JimH, and others have said in regards to Nomar :D

Still, I think Nomar would be a very good fit for the White Sox and he still has star power.

The Mets [along with Bos and the Yanks] always seem to be targeting every player, and the favorite to land them. The Mets are a horrible franchise. Why a FA would willingly go there [besides the money] is beyond me-though Minaya has to be an upgrade over the GM's of the past there.

Mostly though, Clement doesn't strike me as NY kind of guy. Esp if he likes the city of Chi.

Ya, Omar Minaya is doing pretty much the same stuff every other Mets GM has done lately which is overpay players and make stupid trades.

I swear to god they must of been hear reading some of our posts.  That seems awfully familiar to what me, 2k, JimH, and others have said in regards to Nomar  :D

Still, I think Nomar would be a very good fit for the White Sox and he still has star power.

Southsider is just my alias... my real name is Phil Rogers :lol: ;)

Our little Nomar idea is starting to pick up some steam in the papers...

The White Sox were interested in Nomar Garciaparra a year ago. Some believe they are making another push, but they have gone underground since failing to sign Omar Vizquel. Their interest in Vizquel would not have been so great if they were drafting 16th in the 2005 draft rather than 15th. You can't lose one of the top 15 picks, so the Sox would have had to sacrifice a second-round pick, not a first, to sign Vizquel. San Francisco is losing its first-rounder to sign Vizquel, as it forfeited a first-rounder to sign Michael Tucker a year ago. You get the idea GM Brian Sabean doesn't think first-round picks are worth the money and aggravation.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...8,1,26391.story