Rumors thread

witesoxfan

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Chisoxmatt @ Jan 21, 2005 -> 07:47 PM)
Garcia is a great pitcher. He has proven it.  Ill sacrifice the .3 difference in era to get a guy who is 31 games over .500 in his career.

I can see where your coming from though... i didnt know his era was that good.

.3 era might not seem like that much but it is millions of dollars per year in free agency.

The Cubs are talking to Robb Nen about a contract even though they don't expect him to be ready for the start of the season. The Rockies are also interested. Nen is in no hurry to pick a team after missing two years with shoulder problems. Jan. 22 - 2:24 pm et

Tigers GM Dave Dombrowski reiterated yesterday that he has interest in free agent Magglio Ordonez.

"There is some interest, no question about that," Ordonez said. "To what degree, I don't know that we're ready to fully get into that." If the Tigers end with Ordonez, they might just go ahead and release Bobby Higginson. Jan. 23 - 3:23 am et

QUOTE(3E8 @ Jan 23, 2005 -> 05:15 PM)
Hendry has been talking to Maggs' agent recently, that's all.

If Sosa stays though, which looks more likely every day, will Maggs settle to play LF though? I've heard that could be a possible issue.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jan 23, 2005 -> 12:14 PM)
Per Rotoworld

Tigers GM Dave Dombrowski reiterated yesterday that he has interest in free agent Magglio Ordonez.

"There is some interest, no question about that," Ordonez said. "To what degree, I don't know that we're ready to fully get into that." If the Tigers end with Ordonez, they might just go ahead and release Bobby Higginson. Jan. 23 - 3:23 am

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?ac...ndpost&p=564631

Say sayonara to Texas's chances of winning the AL West in 2005;

The Rangers have dropped out of the bidding for Carlos Delgado after he turned down their four-year, $48 million offer.

Delgado reportedly became less interested in Texas after owner Tom Hicks suggested that he'd be used primarily as a DH. The free agent is supposed to decide between the Mets, Marlins and Orioles within the next day or two. It currently appears likely that he'll pick the Mets. Jan. 23 - 11:08 pm et

QUOTE(El Caballo @ Jan 23, 2005 -> 11:53 PM)
Can someone explain the whole thing with teams releasing players?? Does the team pay the player the rest of the contract, the rest of the year or what?? Need someone to explain the details.

Contracts are 100% guarenteed in MLB. They have to pay every penny remaining on the contract.

QUOTE(Mr. Showtime @ Jan 24, 2005 -> 10:21 AM)
Contracts are 100% guarenteed in MLB. They have to pay every penny remaining on the contract.

It depends on the contract that is signed. For Example, a guy could sign a minor league contract, but if he makes the majors, he gets a million a year or whatever.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jan 24, 2005 -> 10:25 AM)
It depends on the contract that is signed. For Example, a guy could sign a minor league contract, but if he makes the majors, he gets a million a year or whatever.

Yeah, I know.

I just didn't know what type of contract El Caballo meant.

Latest rumor out of the Denver Post: Sosa + 9M for Cliff Floyd.

That reduces Sammy's price to 27M/2 yr or just under 14M/yr for the Mets.

That reduces Floyd's price to 21M or just under 11M/yr for the Cubs.

With the Mets out of the Delgado bidding this is likely going to happen.

I suspect the Cubs will throw in 1-2M more in exchange for a PTBNL.