Rumors thread

witesoxfan

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jan 24, 2005 -> 12:49 PM)
With respect to these mega deals it is true that they are guaranteed but typically at least 75% of the contract is insured at a cost of 20-25%.

It's insane.  The Orioles I believe are still paying for Albert Belle.

Actually, I think the O's obligation to Belle ended with the 2004 season.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jan 24, 2005 -> 12:49 PM)
With respect to these mega deals it is true that they are guaranteed but typically at least 75% of the contract is insured at a cost of 20-25%.

It's insane.  The Orioles I believe are still paying for Albert Belle.

They got out from under Belle last year, which is why they hit the FA market hot and heavy.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 24, 2005 -> 06:51 PM)
They got out from under Belle last year, which is why they hit the FA market hot and heavy.

I believe Belle's contract is the one most people point to as the one that sent some serious warning signs off with the insurance companies... Until Belle's disaster the insurance companies were doing well, but they saw how horribly wrong it can go...

This Detroit Columnist wants the Tiggies to give Maggs a guaranteed 4 years, 40 million;

Could Magglio Ordonez become this year's Ivan Rodriguez?

The Tigers are in the hunt for the outfielder, but unlike previous failed overtures in the past two months, they may have an advantage over other suitors in this courtship. That's because they have no choice but to make lavish promises that Ordonez's knees might not keep.

The Tigers have to gamble, same as they did with Rodriguez about this time last year.

If it requires the same contractual creativity -- a maximum four years and $40 million -- which snagged Pudge, they should do it without the slightest flinch.

There's nothing exciting or inspiring about going to Lakeland next month with basically the same names that lost 90 games. Planting Ordonez in the heart of the lineup not only boosts spirits, it also diverts attention from a young core that must build upon its 2004 improvement for this team to honestly believe it could contend for the Central Division title in 2006.

But, more important, if you can't secure a medical risk like Ordonez with more guaranteed years and money than anybody else, then what does that still say about the league perception of the Tigers?

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jan 25, 2005 -> 07:19 AM)
This Detroit Columnist wants the Tiggies to give Maggs a guaranteed 4 years, 40 million;

I read that column. It would be a huge gamble on the Tiger's part, but the writer has some good points that it would be a gamble worth taking .... for the Tigers. They are in a unique situation.

If Nomar can get a 1 yr deal for $8 mill + incentives, Maggs should get a similar deal [even though he may be an even bigger health risk than Nomar]. Seeing how Det. can't attract many big names though they tried this offseason, taking a chance on an injured Maggs makes sense.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 25, 2005 -> 05:31 PM)
Of course Maggs hasn't worked out for the Tigers yet  :rolly

He just cancelled another workout... Anyone signing him for any amount of money or years would have to see at least 1 workout... if the Tigers sign him for multi-years they should want multiple workouts within days of each other to be sure he just didn't gear it up and grit through one workout

If Nomar can get a 1 yr deal for $8 mill + incentives, Maggs should get a similar deal [even though he may be an even bigger health risk than Nomar]. Seeing how Det. can't attract many big names though they tried this offseason, taking a chance on an injured Maggs makes sense.

You would think Maggs would want like a 2 year deal to prove himself fully healthy and then hit the FA market running.

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Jan 25, 2005 -> 11:36 AM)
You would think Maggs would want like a 2 year deal to prove himself fully healthy and then hit the FA market running.

Or you would think he would just want a one year deal. That makes the most sense.

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Jan 25, 2005 -> 05:36 PM)

I'm sure Maggs might like a 2 or 3 yr deal. Yet Maggs won't be the one holding the cards, and able to dictate many terms of a contract. Any team that signs him has to risk not having him healthy the whole yr. I'd be surprised if any team offered a guaranteed deal for more than 1 yr.

If I were the Tigs GM I would be willing to offer him a 40/4 deal contingent upon his being able to play everyday in ST.

None of this workout, physical crap. If he wants that kind of money he needs to show me he can play this year. So it would main a tentititve agreement until ST ends.

Out of the market for Carlos Delgado, the Rangers are now interest in making Magglio Ordonez their designated hitter. Ordonez is expected to work out for interested clubs within the next 10 days, and the Rangers plan to be there. Jan. 25 - 2:10 pm et

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jan 25, 2005 -> 12:24 PM)
If I were the Tigs GM I would be willing to offer him a 40/4 deal contingent upon his being able to play everyday in ST. 

None of this workout, physical crap.  If he wants that kind of money he needs  to show me he can play this year.  So it would main a tentititve agreement until ST ends.

My feelings are that he will sit this entire year. Any team taking the risk will want to be rewarded if he is healthy, not the Boras style. Wasn't he suppossed to work out at the winter meetings a month ago? We're still waiting for this workout. Any team would be foolish to offer anything more than $1M of $2 guaranteed. If I were a GM I would offer $3M for next year and two team options the following years at $8M each. Again, not the Boras style.

The Twinkies signed C.J. Nitkowski...

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpag...ort=MLB&id=5411

Latest News  Jan. 25, 2005 - 1:54 pm et

Twins signed LHP C.J. Nitkowski to a minor league contract and invited him to spring training.

The 31-year-old Nitkowski had a 5.73 ERA in 41 relief appearances with the Braves and Yankees last season. The Twins already have J.C. Romero and Terry Mulholland, so Nitkowski isn't likely to make the team.

QUOTE(HSC's Biggest Fan @ Jan 25, 2005 -> 02:22 PM)
My feelings are that he will sit this entire year.  Any team taking the risk will want to be rewarded if he is healthy, not the Boras style.  Wasn't he suppossed to work out at the winter meetings a month ago?  We're still waiting for this workout.  Any team would be foolish to offer anything more than $1M of $2 guaranteed.  If I were a GM I would offer $3M for next year and two team options the following years at $8M each.  Again, not the Boras style.

If he can play at all, there is no way he sits the entire year. If he did he would be at best, in exactly the same position and predicament he is in now, if not worse. No team would pay big money and a long term contract to a guy who has sat out a year and a half. He will get more than you think. Boras' guys (with the exception of draft choices) always do.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jan 25, 2005 -> 09:41 PM)
Carlos Delgado is signing with the Marlins per ESPN 1000 for 4-years, $52 million.

Here's a NYNewsDay link...

"Delgado chooses Marlins"

http://www.nynewsday.com/sports/baseball/m...ports-headlines

well, it will be interesting to see if SamME goes to the Mets now...

They have exceeded us in creativity.

Delgado gets 4M/05, 13.5M/06, 14.5M/07, 16M/08.

There is a complex 5th yr option. If he plays at an MVP caliber level all 4 yrs he can earn 16M/09. If he fails to do that but is a LCS MVP or WS MVP he can still earn the 16M/09. If he fails to do that as well he'll either earn 12M/09 or be bought out for 4M.

I doubt very much he will achieve what he needs to earn 16M/09.

If he does Cub fans should just shoot themselves because the Marlins will have won the WS twice in this decade. So this really looks more like a

60M/5 yr deal. That's pretty savy of Loria. Congrats!

Yet another signing that leaves me scratching my head why not the White Sox?

I know you all love Konerko but he is no Delgado. Nor is Maggs. We were willing to give this same $ to Maggs but not to Delgado? This is a contract we could have gotten done. Delgado runs much better than Koney. The Sox would have saved 4M in the first year. A new Koney contract is likely to cost an avg of 10-11M/yr. So your paying a litte more for a much great boost in production.

Loria get's my vote for the best signing of the off-season. He signed a perenial MVP caliber player to a price comparable to lesser talented players like Drew.

Thanks for that link. It's good stuff!

David Sloane really spanked the Mets. Lumping them with the O's.

It looks like Sosa will be a Met afterall. I think having lost out on Delgado

Minaya is going to accept the Sosa + 9M for Floyd offer. He's on the hook for Sosa for 27M/2 yr. It's not a big deal for the Mets payroll. Floyd has already failed as a Met & Sosa has a much better resume. So it's definitely an upgrade. With the 9M cost the Cubs are on the hook with Floyd for 22M/2 yr.

That leaves the Mets, O's Rangers, Cub, Tigs all wanting to sign Maggs.

Damn! He would have looked good at the Cell:

Delgado LHB, career 282A, 336HR, 1058RBI. In 04 he hit 269.

Looks like the Mets are going to trade for the ball-stealer...

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-m...ov=ap&type=lgns

To fill its void at first base, New York was closing in on a deal to acquire Doug Mientkiewicz, who is being shopped around by the Boston Red Sox. The deal, in which Boston would get a minor leaguer who played at Class-A last year and cash, could be announced Wednesday.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jan 25, 2005 -> 07:25 PM)
Thanks for that link.  It's good stuff!

David Sloane really spanked the Mets.  Lumping them with the O's.

It looks like Sosa will be a Met afterall.  I think having lost out on Delgado

Minaya is going to accept the Sosa + 9M for Floyd offer.  He's on the hook for Sosa for 27M/2 yr.  It's not a big deal for the Mets payroll. Floyd has already failed as a Met & Sosa has a much better resume.  So it's definitely an upgrade.  With the 9M cost the Cubs are on the hook with Floyd for 22M/2 yr. 

That leaves the Mets, O's Rangers, Cub, Tigs all wanting to sign Maggs.

Damn! He would have looked good at the Cell:

Delgado LHB, career 282A, 336HR, 1058RBI.  In 04 he hit 269.

Gotta love how Floyd(a whitesox fan) will possibly be playing for the Cubbies :lolhitting