Rumors thread

witesoxfan

Another interesting read from the Cubune....

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...-cubs-headlines

White Sox have money, plenty of holes

November 28, 2004

What they need

A right fielder to replace free agent Magglio Ordonez, a defensive-minded shortstop or second baseman who can lead off to replace Jose Valentin, a starting pitcher, a reliever and a catcher, either a starter or a backup for Ben Davis.

Who's available

The Sox do have money to spend, though they are not going to be players in the high-priced free-agent sweepstakes. And the price of midlevel players, such as Omar Vizquel and Damian Miller—both of whom were perfect fits for the Sox—has gone up considerably. But general manager Ken Williams is a master at making trades and may wind up going that route.

Right field

This is not the deepest position for free agents. Among the possibilities are Oakland's Jermaine Dye, whose injuries have limited him to no more than 62 RBIs in any of the last three years; Danny Bautista, who drove in a career-high 65 runs last season; Richard Hidalgo, who will make much less than his $15 million last season; and Jeromy Burnitz, whose recent numbers have come in Colorado's thin air.

One thing to remember: Williams has had a longtime fascination with Atlanta center fielder Andruw Jones, who is owed $39 million for the next three years and would cost talent in return.

A fallback strategy would be a combination of former No. 1 draft pick Joe Borchard and veteran Carl Everett, but that would be an absolute last choice.

Shortstop

After Vizquel signed with the Giants, Williams said going with Juan Uribe and Willie Harris would work. But there are intriguing possibilities, including Nomar Garciaparra, Edgar Renteria and Orlando Cabrera.

Starting pitcher

All indications are the Sox are in the Randy Johnson trade sweepstakes, although there are two problems: Johnson wants a second year added to his $18 million contract, and he has to approve any trade. Chances are Williams will be looking to acquire someone like Atlanta's Jaret Wright or the Cubs' Matt Clement. Wright recovered from myriad injuries to finish 15-8 with a 3.28 ERA for the Braves but will be looking for a lot more than the $850,000 he was paid.

Catcher

Cardinals free agent Mike Matheny, a hard-nosed veteran who can handle pitchers, would be a perfect fit. But he wants about $5 million for two years, maybe more. The Twins thought Henry Blanco's request for a two-year, $3 million contract was too high and let him go, so he would be a possibility.

Reliever

Williams is not outwardly looking for a closer to replace Shingo Takatsu, but Ugueth Urbina would be intriguing, given that he is a close friend of manager Ozzie Guillen's. The Sox also like Shawn Chacon, though probably more as a setup man.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well looks like we are getting the bottom of the barrel players again

JOY :angry:

Set your expectations for the White Sox low like I do. Then when the inevitable happens, it doesn't upset you as much considering you knew what was probably going to happen.

Of course, you'll have to be ready to eat a bit of crow once every 5 or 6 years and have it thrown in your face by the FOJR or the FOKW when the Sox will occasionally go out and grab a big name like a Colon or a Belle.

Set your expectations for the White Sox low like I do. Then when the inevitable happens, it doesn't upset you as much considering you knew what was probably going to happen.

Of course, you'll have to be ready to eat a bit of crow once every 5 or 6 years and have it thrown in your face by the FOJR or the FOKW when the Sox will occasionally go out and grab a big name like a Colon or a Belle.

you dont even seem like a fan.. your more anti Sox than you are pro..

That is what I always do...

I'm anti-idiots-running-a-once-proud-White-Sox-Organization-into-the-ground.

Big difference.

CK, I'm behind you 100%. I may not agree with some individual points you make, but I certainly am on your general outlook and reasons for your discontent. Twenty-five years of mediocrity kind of points to the chance that this just might be a trend.

Armando Benitez - R - Marlins

The Giants are set to sign Armando Benitez to a three-year, $21 million contract.

Maybe $21 million is a little excessive, but this is a better signing than Troy Percival or the other potential closers would have been. Since the Giants have to stay around $80 million, Benitez's addition could make it more likely that A.J. Pierzynski will be traded. Nov. 30 - 2:07 am et From rotoworld.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?...1/30/GIANTS.TMP

I'm anti-idiots-running-a-once-proud-White-Sox-Organization-into-the-ground.

Big difference.

Once proud? Seriously? How many titles did they win under Bill Veeck, or any other recent owner for that sake? Hell even divisions? What do you mean by proud? I hope it isn't winning, because you won't find a time where the Sox have been more consistantly competitive in their history. The Sox haven't finished in the second division since 1989, a streak of 15 years. The Sox have never had a longer streak of not finishing worse than 3rd.

The Sox have won 3 (or 4 if you include 94, which I don't) divisions under JRs ownership. The last time the Sox finished first in their division 3 times in that short of a span was 1901-1919, when they won divisions 4 times, including their 2 WS titles.

I don't know if you realize it or not, but since 1920, the Sox have finished in first place 4 times, only one of those was not under the current ownership.

This organization has been a joke for 85 years now. There is no once proud about it, in anything resembling recent history. This group of Sox fans is actually lucky to be seeing a decent run of teams, instead of just plain horrible teams that many fans had to endure. I know people like to act like the sky is falling, but if you know your history, the sky fell long ago on the southside.

This organization has been a joke for 85 years now.  There is no once proud about it, in anything resembling recent history.  This group of Sox fans is actually lucky to be seeing a decent run of teams, instead of just plain horrible teams that many fans had to endure.  I know people like to act like the sky is falling, but if you know your history, the sky fell long ago on the southside.

and i'm glad you agree that this team is still a joke. however, before JR, the sox were at least as popular as the cubs throughout history.

finishing 2nd or 3rd (out of 5 teams!) in the low rent AL central is nothing to hang your hat on. especially now that 8 teams make the playoffs, not 2.

in the past 15 years the sox have averaged 83.7 wins and finished below .500 five times.

in the 15 years 1953 to 1967 the sox averaged 89.5 wins and never finished below .500. no, they never won a championship but at least a sox fan could wear his hat proudly around town.

and i'm glad you agree that this team is still a joke. however, before JR, the sox were at least as popular as the cubs throughout history.

finishing 2nd or 3rd (out of 5 teams!) in the low rent AL central is nothing to hang your hat on. especially now that 8 teams make the playoffs, not 2.

in the past 15 years the sox have averaged 83.7 wins and finished below .500 five times.

in the 15 years 1953 to 1967 the sox averaged 89.5 wins and never finished below .500.  no, they never won a championship but at least a sox fan could wear his hat proudly around town.

So the bandwagon is emptying, what's your point. And if you aren't proud to wear your White Sox cap even when the team is in last place, you are one of the bandwagon fans. I don't care how many people are at Wrigley, it doesn't have anything to do with my fandom, as it obviously does with some people here. The less of those fans we have, the happier I am. Go ahead, desert with the rest of them.

So the bandwagon is emptying, what's your point. And if you aren't proud to wear your White Sox cap even when the team is in last place, you are one of the bandwagon fans.  I don't care how many people are at Wrigley, it doesn't have anything to do with my fandom, as it obviously does with some people here. The less of those fans we have, the happier I am.  Go ahead, desert with the rest of them.

And don't let the door hit yer ass on the way out. ;)

well i want all the f***ing bandwagon fans we can get to bring in some money and hopefully JR will spend it.

my pride or lack therof in the white sox has nothing to do with their record on the field.

questioning someone's "fanness" is about as weak as it gets..."oh yeah, oh yeah, well...you're nothing but a bandwagon fan!"

EEEK!

well i want all the f***ing bandwagon fans we can get to bring in some money and hopefully JR will spend it.

my pride or lack therof in the white sox has nothing to do with their record on the field.

questioning someone's "fanness" is about as weak as it gets..."oh yeah, oh yeah, well...you're nothing but a bandwagon fan!"

EEEK!

Your words, not mine. You are the one who said you weren't proud of your team, not me.

but at least a sox fan could wear his hat proudly around town.