Would Barry Larkin Be that Bad?

Chisoxfn

Well, Washington just signed their shortstop so I find it hard to believe they will dish out much for Barry Larkin.

I still say he'd be a nice pickup as a backup. Let him play a couple times a week. He's a leader, very productive offensively, and would be a cheap effective pickup, imo.

Well, Washington just signed their shortstop so I find it hard to believe they will dish out much for Barry Larkin.

I still say he'd be a nice pickup as a backup.  Let him play a couple times a week.  He's a leader, very productive offensively, and would be a cheap effective pickup, imo.

I still think he wants a ''starting job.'' But all that probally means is that he starts opening day . I would not mind him for about 1-1.5 because that is all i think he is worth at this point in his career.

I still say he'd be a nice pickup as a backup.  Let him play a couple times a week.  He's a leader, very productive offensively, and would be a cheap effective pickup, imo.

Please god, let's set our expectations a BIT higher than Barry Larkin.

Signing Larkin should come after all other options have been exhausted, and Sox have been outbid for remaining SS/2Bs. I don't believe that should happen. If Williams have any desire of improving this ballclub, he'll sign Placido Palanco.

What troubles me about Larkin is his health and lack of defensive prowless. In a team full of sluggers and stationary players a defensive backup is more valuable. The role should be Valdezs next season.

Please god, let's set our expectations a BIT higher than Barry Larkin. 

Signing Larkin should come after all other options have been exhausted, and Sox have been outbid for remaining SS/2Bs.  I don't believe that should happen.  If Williams have any desire of improving this ballclub, he'll sign Placido Palanco. 

What troubles me about Larkin is his health and lack of defensive prowless.  In a team full of sluggers and stationary players a defensive backup is more valuable.  The role should be Valdezs next season.

The reason I like this idea, just like I like Cheats idea of Eric Young, is because I think a lot of us are really over-reacting to the middle infield position and making it this giant hole that it is not.

The hole is to add a top of the order hitter and with whats left on the market, their isn't one that can be had for the right price (which is something you have to consider if you are the White Sox, plus I feel starting pitching/relief is an even bigger need).

Therefor I think the Sox should look at a guy capable of starting if worse case, but that can be productive with time off.

Both Larkin and EY are productive hitters and guys I'd consider leaders or at least character clubhouse people, who can also help teach a thing or two.

We know that Willie is a little weak against LHP, and EY dominates LHP.

Eric Young: .288, .377, .758 OPS, 14 SB (not too good % though)

He hit .329 vs lefties with a .413 OBP and actually hit better on the road (.309) which would mean his numbers weren't due to hitting in Texas.

However, Larkin is the exact opposite. This past season he hit much better against righties then lefties. In fact his three year splits are even worse (.197 vs lefties).