Veteran UTL players for Sox?

beck72

With Guzman signed w/ Washington, few other names come to mind for SS. At this point, few other SS would be worth the price and might not have much more upside than Uribe. With that in mind, how do the sox shore up their infield, while still giving Crede and Harris room to grow?

Plan C--Sign a veteran utility infielder, who can play multiple positions but mostly be a platoon with Willie at 2b, with Uribe the starting SS.

Miguel Cairo might do the trick. His best spot is 2b, but can play 3b and SS as well. In STL in 2002 and 2003 he also played LF, RF, and 1b.

He could platoon with Willie vs LHP. Last yr w/ the Yanks he hit .336/.377/.445 vs LHP.[overall, 292/.346/.417 in 360 ab's] stole 11 bases and caught 3 times. He's from Venezuela. Has been a platoon player in the past, and at age 30 isn't too old. Don't know much about his defense, though had a .987 FDPT in 125 games. But if he can play with the Yanks last yr, can't be all bad. Has experience with playoff teams.

Any other ideas?

Any plan that has Willie getting traded is ok by me. This team will have big time problems if that s***head is starting.

I don't really like any of the vets out there, Larkin, Cairo, etc. I think Kenny is going back to the drawing boards on this one and unless he signs Polanco, or makes a trade, he may just stand pat on Middle Infielders.

Eric young, like cheat has suggested all along.

Actually I would prefer Cairo, I just hadn't thought of it...

I doubt that Cario would be willing to come here to platoon though, whereas I could see Young be willing to take that role. The yankees will probably try to keep Cairo, even if they do sign a 2B like polanco. It's nice to have depth and money. Cairo would probably stay on the bench in NY, rather than platoon in Chicago.

Actually I would prefer Cairo, I just hadn't thought of it...

I doubt that Cario would be willing to come here to platoon though, whereas I could see Young be willing to take that role.  The yankees will probably try to keep Cairo, even if they do sign a 2B like polanco.  It's nice to have depth and money.  Cairo would probably stay on the bench in NY, rather than platoon in Chicago.

Only reason i would prefer cairo over young is the sole fact that he is alot younger. Other than that i would rather have young.

Youth and the ability to fill in at 3B make him my choice, but as I said, Young is more likely to agree to a platoon situation.

I also like young because he can fill in for an outfielder if we need him to. He was not overally bad last season in the outfield from what i recall.

Barry Larkin will now be available since the Expos signed Guzman instead of him. Cairo wouldn't be a bad idea, but I doubt he'll be leaving New York if they can't sign anyone. Craig Counsel is also still available I believe. It all depends on whether the Sox want starting 2B or SS or a veteran utility guy to back them up.

I also like young because he can fill in for an outfielder if we need him to. He was not overally bad last season from what i recall.

Young hit .288, 1 HR and 27 RBI's in 104 games in 2004. He also drew 43 BB's, had 28 K's and stole 14 bases. Had an OBP of .377. ($1,000,000)

Barry Larkin will now be available since the Expos signed Guzman instead of him. Cairo wouldn't be a bad idea, but I doubt he'll be leaving New York if they can't sign anyone. Craig Counsel is also still available I believe. It all depends on whether the Sox want starting 2B or SS or a veteran utility guy to back them up.

May not be ideal but counsell can play 3rd, 2nd, and short. He puts up a decent obp even while having a low batting average. I can definitely see the sox going after him.

I meant in the outfield, i knew he was good with the bat. ;)

Yeah he can play LF and CF if needed, would give us some much needed versatility. If Texas lose Soriano, I bet the Rangers would prob. try to resign him though, so we'll just have to wait and see as usual.

Also found this on Young,

Eric Young, Utility player. It's hard to say how, exactly, a contending team would use him, but he is useful. He's 37 and played left field, center, second base, third and shortstop for the Texas Rangers last season, none of them particularly well, but he handles them professionally. Young compiled a .377 on-base percentage and 14 stolen bases, and his batting average away from Arlington was 52 points higher. He's a strong team guy. Very attractive one-year buy.

The yanks always upgrade, even if they don't need it. Cairo probably will be replaced. Maybe the Venezuela connection will come in handy this time for Ozzie with Miguel :D

Any plan that has Willie getting traded is ok by me.  This team will have big time problems if that s***head is starting.

I don't really like any of the vets out there, Larkin, Cairo, etc.  I think Kenny is going back to the drawing boards on this one and unless he signs Polanco, or makes a trade, he may just stand pat on Middle Infielders.

I'm sorry Addy, but as it is shaking out, Willie "MVP" Harris will be the Sox starting 2nd baseman next year.

It seems the Twins will be looking at Craig Counsell, Jose Vizcaino and Valentin for SS now that Guzman has signed.

Counsell or Vizcaino wouldn't be bad to rotate in for the sox infield, allowing Uribe most of the time at SS. Yet the Twins want one of these guys to start.