Bowling

witesoxfan

I just found the print out i got of my highest game it went like this

9/,  X, X, X, X,  X, X,  X,  8-0,  XX9 =  253

Coincidentally, I just found the printout for my 300 too

X X X X X X X X X XXX = 300

Hehe :lolhitting

That's pretty cool though. 253 is not a bad game at all. Actually, come to think of it, I think I've only bowled 4 games over a 253...255, 267, 277, and then the 300 too, and 3 of the 4 have come with a donated Track EMB that I received like a month ago.

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Need to bump.

Just thought I'd mention that I threw another 300...lol

This time it was sanctioned, so I will get a ring for it...which is pretty sweet.

EDIT: Also, if you wanna see a (bad) pic of me...check out this site, and click on Jr. Bowler of the Week

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Nov 17, 2004 -> 06:14 AM)
I know we have some bowlers on here...can't remember who exactly off the top of my head, but I know we do...so some can relate to this.

Anyways, I just thought let everyone know that I rolled my first 300 game tonight.  It was pretty amazing, and when I got that 12th strike, it was just an insane feeling.  Felt unreal...and is just now starting to sink in.

Coolest thing about it is that I beat my dad to getting the first 300 in the family.  He's been bowling for like 35 years or so, and has never gotten a 300...his highest game is a 290...and me getting the first one just feels so cool.

Hopefully he can get one now too.

Anyways...anyone else got any cool bowling stories they have to tell?

That is absolutely amazing.

I just learned how to do the spin last year, and now, I'm always good for at least one turkey per game. But I still have average aim at best when it comes to knocking down individual pins. That's my downfall.

My highest score was like 225. I used to bowl head-on with authority, so I'd be happy when I'd bowl like 175. But ever since I got the spin down, I consider 175 to be a bad game. I need to incorporate a little more speed into my game, whereas before, I was like the bowling alley flounder. Pins flying into the next lane and what not. It's a finesse game, and that was lost on me for damn near 15 years.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Mar 6, 2005 -> 05:18 PM)
That is absolutely amazing.

I just learned how to do the spin last year, and now, I'm always good for at least one turkey per game.  But I still have average aim at best when it comes to knocking down individual pins.  That's my downfall.

My highest score was like 225.  I used to bowl head-on with authority, so I'd be happy when I'd bowl like 175.  But ever since I got the spin down, I consider 175 to be a bad game.  I need to incorporate a little more speed into my game, whereas before, I was like the bowling alley flounder.  Pins flying into the next lane and what not.  It's a finesse game, and that was lost on me for damn near 15 years.

Accuracy is the main thing when it comes to bowling usually.

Also, one of the key things when it comes to spinning or hooking the ball(you will also hear it referred to as turning it) is to stay behind the ball. You want to lift the ball, and get it rolling forward, and to try and get it to not roll sideways. You will get much more power behind your shot lifting it.

I just recently read an article in a magazine and read through it, and I got probably the biggest tip I have gotten in quite some time. I was coming around the ball, and not lifting it, and that was causing a lack of hook on the ball, and due to that, I was bowling very inconsistently. That tip was probably the main reason I have been as hot as I have been recently(Friday I bowled to just practice, and shot 1012 for 5 games, and today I shot 1883 for 9, including 1299 for the singles portion of the tounament).

I also tend to string a few together right away sometimes as well. A couple weeks ago, I started with the first 8, and I can put 5-6 together in a row early on...but for some reason, I can never start strings of strikes in the middle of games...I am unsure why.

LOL, I would maybe be good enough for the PBA if I were more consistent...an 1883 for 9 is decent, but you gotta bowl around 20-40 games a week on the PBA, and you gotta be averaging around 230 to even be anywhere close.

Of course, PBA pro and Hall of Famer Brian Voss is from Bismarck, so I guess I would be in good company for good bowlers from North Dakota.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Mar 6, 2005 -> 05:53 PM)
LOL, I would maybe be good enough for the PBA if I were more consistent...an 1883 for 9 is decent, but you gotta bowl around 20-40 games a week on the PBA, and you gotta be averaging around 230 to even be anywhere close.

Of course, PBA pro and Hall of Famer Brian Voss is from Bismarck, so I guess I would be in good company for good bowlers from North Dakota.

They might put you in the North Dakota hall of fame, you and those 2 other guys.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Mar 6, 2005 -> 11:32 PM)
Also, one of the key things when it comes to spinning or hooking the ball(you will also hear it referred to as turning it) is to stay behind the ball.  You want to lift the ball, and get it rolling forward, and to try and get it to not roll sideways.    You will get much more power behind your shot lifting it.

I just recently read an article in a magazine and read through it, and I got probably the biggest tip I have gotten in quite some time.  I was coming around the ball, and not lifting it, and that was causing a lack of hook on the ball, and due to that, I was bowling very inconsistently.  That tip was probably the main reason I have been as hot as I have been recently

If possible, I'm gonna need you to break this down into major dumbass terms for me. Because I am just that when it comes to bowling, among other things.

What I do is cradle the ball with my middle finger and my index finger in the top holes, and my thumb hanging out (because I can't spin the ball unless my thumb is out). As I lay the ball down, I kinda flick my wrist to the left (so underhand to overhand). The degree of wrist flickage determines whether you get a slight spin, or a major spin. I'm kinda in-between.

Should I be dropping the ball instead of laying it down? I'm not sure what you mean by staying behind the ball, coming around the ball, etc. When you say "try and get it to not roll sideways", that sounds like what I do precisely -- rolling it sideways, that is.

I used to bowl on my school team, but I was never any good. I barely held on, I did it more for fun than anything. My average was like 110 when I started, then I got to like 125 my sophmore year, around 140 my junior year. For some reason I started sucking horribly senior year and quit. I had no consistency, I'd bowl like a 160 or so, then I'd bowl like a 97 after getting all kinds of splits.

One thing I really miss is the Score Celebrity Bowl-a-Thon that they used to run. Those were a blast. My Dad and I participated several years in a row, but unfortunately they stopped because one of the hosts (Marcus Robinson) left the team and the guy that organized it left the Score. I think it was like 100 bucks a bowler, and there were two celebs on every two lanes. They had a decent mix of celebs. Evander Holyfield was there one year, as was Jerome Bettis. There were a ton of Chicago people, pretty much anyone that played for the Bears (Urlacher was even there one year), Gale Sayers, Chris Chelios, Elton Brand, Ron Artest, Tyson Chandler, Eddy Curry, Bob Love, plus a good chunk of the Chicago sports media people (and obviously pretty much everyone from the Score). They bowled a series with the celebs rotating every game, it was catered, and there was a raffle and auction. I really wish they would bring it back now that I could drink, half of the people there were plastered. Some of the players were even betting on the games for the next round of drinks. :lol:

Edited by ZoomSlowik

LOL...I can try.

First of all, from what I can tell, you cup the ball, but you atleast cup it properly...I see people who cup it with either no fingers in the ball, or their thumb in the ball...and since the thumb has nothing to do with how much a ball hooks or spins, it is pointless. So, in a sense, you are doing the lesser of two evils. :D

The second part of that really starts to pertain when you really start to get into bowling and you start to understand things a little more...staying behind the ball means exactly that, you stay behind the ball(say, for instance, that the bowling ball at the exact second prior to release is a clock...if you are at 6 or 5 o'clock, you are in a good position for lots of lift and turn/hook/spin on the ball. When you come out incorrectly, your hand would be like right in the middle of the clock, or at 3 o'clock...if you are left handed, the first times are 6 and 7, middle remains the same, and the last is 9). Finding out that you cup the ball tells me a lot actually...mainly that it would be hard for you to not turn the ball correctly...but in cupping it, you do lose a lot of accuracy. If you really want to get into it, you can probably buy a used reactive ball of some type at around 14-16 pounds, and have it drilled to be a fingertip grip(which, like I said, you want to get serious, I would suggest). This would eventually start to make a little more sense.

There is a lot of physics that goes into bowling...and I'm not sure I quite understand all of it :lol: . The basics of it are that there is a weight block in the middle of the bowling ball, and usually, at some point down the lane, that weight block turns over, which causes the hook...or something like that...lol. If you throw the ball sideways(in that it would be spinning on its axis), the weight block will not turn over, and the only hook you will get is of the ball just spinning a little bit. I would guess that does not happen to you. There is also forward roll, where the ball is rolling forward, perhaps with a little to the left/right(if you are right/left handed, respectively)...odds are good it will turn over then, causing some type of hook on the ball. You can also get side roll on the ball, which causes the ball to turn a ton, and it will hook a ton then too...I would guess that's more where you are. I am somewhere in between there when I am bowling well(such as today). I have in-between forward and side roll, along with a little velocity, and when I have any type of accuracy at all, I kill the pins.

It may be a little bit to comprehend...but you may get it...I am not sure.

Also...now that I have thought about it, bowling is actually a power game, but not in the sense a lot would view it in. The main source of power behind a bowling ball is not the velocity behind the ball, but rather the revs you get on the ball(which has a lot to do with the turn you get on the ball...the more turn, the more revs, the more pin action you will have, the less bad breaks you will encounter). If you wanna see a guy with huge revolutions on his ball, try and see if you can watch Robert Smith, who is a pro bowler, bowl sometime...he gets some crank on his ball.

Anyways...if you need me to dumb-en it up anymore, I can sure try...otherwise, I'm just here to help.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Mar 7, 2005 -> 02:40 AM)
LOL...I can try.

First of all, from what I can tell, you cup the ball, but you atleast cup it properly...I see people who cup it with either no fingers in the ball, or their thumb in the ball...and since the thumb has nothing to do with how much a ball hooks or spins, it is pointless.  So, in a sense, you are doing the lesser of two evils.  :D

The second part of that really starts to pertain when you really start to get into bowling and you start to understand things a little more...staying behind the ball means exactly that, you stay behind the ball(say, for instance, that the bowling ball at the exact second prior to release is a clock...if you are at 6 or 5 o'clock, you are in a good position for lots of lift and turn/hook/spin on the ball.  When you come out incorrectly, your hand would be like right in the middle of the clock, or at 3 o'clock...if you are left handed, the first times are 6 and 7, middle remains the same, and the last is 9).  Finding out that you cup the ball tells me a lot actually...mainly that it would be hard for you to not turn the ball correctly...but in cupping it, you do lose a lot of accuracy.  If you really want to get into it, you can probably buy a used reactive ball of some type at around 14-16 pounds, and have it drilled to be a fingertip grip(which, like I said, you want to get serious, I would suggest).  This would eventually start to make a little more sense.

There is a lot of physics that goes into bowling...and I'm not sure I quite understand all of it  :lol: .  The basics of it are that there is a weight block in the middle of the bowling ball, and usually, at some point down the lane, that weight block turns over, which causes the hook...or something like that...lol.  If you throw the ball sideways(in that it would be spinning on its axis), the weight block will not turn over, and the only hook you will get is of the ball just spinning a little bit.  I would guess that does not happen to you.  There is also forward roll, where the ball is rolling forward, perhaps with a little to the left/right(if you are right/left handed, respectively)...odds are good it will turn over then, causing some type of hook on the ball.  You can also get side roll on the ball, which causes the ball to turn a ton, and it will hook a ton then too...I would guess that's more where you are.  I am somewhere in between there when I am bowling well(such as today).  I have in-between forward and side roll, along with a little velocity, and when I have any type of accuracy at all, I kill the pins.

It may be a little bit to comprehend...but you may get it...I am not sure.

Also...now that I have thought about it, bowling is actually a power game, but not in the sense a lot would view it in.  The main source of power behind a bowling ball is not the velocity behind the ball, but rather the revs you get on the ball(which has a lot to do with the turn you get on the ball...the more turn, the more revs, the more pin action you will have, the less bad breaks you will encounter).  If you wanna see a guy with huge revolutions on his ball, try and see if you can watch Robert Smith, who is a pro bowler, bowl sometime...he gets some crank on his ball.

Anyways...if you need me to dumb-en it up anymore, I can sure try...otherwise, I'm just here to help.

Thanks, bro. I think I understand.

I'll also try to catch some Robert Smith action. Bowling on television = excellent.

QUOTE(EvilMonkey @ Mar 6, 2005 -> 10:45 PM)
Another night, no 300 game.  Got another 602, the hard way, with a 159 in the second game (4 splits!).

Dam evil thats a lot of 600 series...what's your average? I always shoot for a 600, but rarely get it...I'm too inconsistent. I shot a 625 last week though. My average has stayed right around 180 all year

My best game goes like so:

8 X X X X X X X X X X 9 = 277

Here's some video clips to help some things wite was trying to explain.

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/k...kVideo.htm#Ball