Percival to the Tigers

valponick

I don't want three years of Vizquel.

Two years, twelve million (arguably) the best reliever on the market.

Two year deals are nice.  If it doesn't work out the first year, you can trade him at the deadline the following year.  Is there a third year option for the player/team?

Nope, no option at all.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think detriot will spend asa much as the sox this year because they know the division is there to take.The tigers have young starters whom will get better. By solidifyign the pen it makes sense.

They now have a much better bullpen. If they sign kent they arguably have a strong team to contend. nice signing. Wish we signed him.

This is not putting Urbina on the block. They announced at their press conference that Percival is going to setup Urbina, not the other way around. Don't forget that Urbina and Pudge are best friends and that is one of the reasons he went to the Tigers in the first place.

Percival would only sign with a team that he would be the closer. So that is a very very strange thing for them to say that. I highly doubt that the tigers convinced him to set-up.

Did they get fleeced?  Thats debateable.  Did they overpay, looks that way.  Do they now have the best setup/closer combo in the AL central?  Defenitely.

Not that useful unless the rest of your team can provide you with a lead going into the late innings.

They will sign either Clement or DLowe...that will not solve the problem, but it is a start.

They are at least 2 year away from getting really serious i feel. Even with one of them their starting pitching will be horrid. They do have the makings of a pretty nice pen with a pretty potent offense.

They have no starting pitching. That is the problem they have.

No starting pitching? Bonderman will anchor Detroit's staff for the unforseable future. Win/Loss record, ERA doesn't give him due respect. His stuff is electric, and late in the season he completely reformed his delivery. I'd expect Bonderman to win 15+ if Detroit's offense is consistent.

No starting pitching?  Bonderman will anchor Detroit's staff for the unforseable future.  Win/Loss record, ERA doesn't give him due respect.  His stuff is electric, and late in the season he completely reformed his delivery.  I'd expect Bonderman to win 15+ if Detroit's offense is consistent.

His stuff may be electric but apparently he has not learned how to use it yet. I could give a s*** what his win loss record is. But i do look at whip, era, baa, and pitches per game.

Its sad to,because on almost any other team, Bonderman would be considered an up and coming star. He is overshadowed by his losses on a s***ty Detriot team.

His era was in the 5's and 6's the majority of the year. I don't think he would be considered an up and coming star on any team while pitching like that.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1925075

The Tigers are probably going to look to trade Urbina, as was first theorized by moi. ;)

Percival has been signed to be the team's closer, and the Tigers are expected to attempt to trade last year's closer Ugueth Urbina, Stark reports. Urbina's option had been picked up by Detroit earlier in the offseason.

The key word there is expected. It was reported right after the press conference by ESPN Radio that Percival will be setting up. We will just have to wait and see.

Ahh gerty, we have reached a scouting vs. saber impass. Count me on the scouting side who believs he's going to be a top-rotation starter in the very near future.

I have never said he won't be, but i still feel he has a ways to go to be considered an up and coming star. Era around 4.25 over a full year i would start saying that.

Edit: It is qwerty not gwerty, you have said thta like 3 times. :lol:

His stuff may be electric but apparently he has not learned how to use it yet. I could give a s*** what his win loss record is. But i do look at whip, era, baa, and pitches per game.

I merely stated those two statistics because they're the most obvious. Obvioulsy they're not great indications of success/failure.

Following his drubbing on August 23, Bonderman's revelation was as followed:

8 starts, 5-3 record, 3.06 ERA, 60K/57.3IP/17BB/42H.

/and because you love it: 1.03 WHIP

EDIT: To be fair, these starts were against the Sox (2), Boston, KC, TB (2), Cleveland, Baltimore. I still have confidence in his talent.

I merely stated those two statistics because they're the most obvious. Obvioulsy they're not great indications of success/failure.

This should indicate his dominating conclusion to the season. Following his drubbing on August 23, Bonderman's revelation was as followed:

8 starts, 5-3 record, 3.06 ERA, 60K/57.3IP/17BB/42H. 

/and because you love it:  1.03 WHIP

I think he will be a good pitcher never said otherwise but he is not the best starter on the team at this point. I still think it is a pretty fair thing to say that they have little to no starting pitching. I do like whip alot because it is one of the better ways if not the best way to evaluate a pitcher.

His era was in the 5's and 6's the majority of the year. I don't think he would be considered an up and coming star on any team while pitching like that.

Dude, give him a break. The kid is only 22 and now has two years under his belt.

Look at his numbers. His last years numbers were comparable and even better than Garlands and he has less experience with a younger age.

Bonderman

As you can see, he's been improving year after year. Not saying he's booked from an era under 3, but I'd take him at his salary, good stuff, and young age than half of the pitchers in the league (inc. Garland) any day of the week.

Dude, give him a break. The kid is only 22 and now has two years under his belt.

Look at his numbers. His last years numbers were comparable and even better than Garlands and he has less experience with a younger age.

Bonderman

As you can see, he's been improving year after year. Not saying he's booked from an era under 3, but I'd take him at his salary, good stuff, and young age than half of the pitchers in the league (inc. Garland) any day of the week.

I have nothing against him, i just don't think he would or should be considered an up and coming star with an era in the 5's and 6's throughout the majority of the year. Is that an unfair thing to say?