What Now?

Butter Parque

RJ wants to win, we know that, but he will be more of a winner anywhere he goes after the season he just had with the DBacks. If you are RJ, you have to realize you'd be joining a good starting staff, in turn, making them a GREAT staff. Bring back loaiza to be the 5th starter for cheap money and 1-5, its pretty intimidating. as for wh, last yr was willie's first as a full time starter, he tailed off at the end of the season, but all in all, he was decent out there. 2b and ss are two positions that most teams dont have studs at, so dont be upset if the sox dont have a stud there either. we already have two decent players there now, they just need to sure up the pen and some other holes, assuming we can get RJ

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I really like any signing of Garciaparra or Renteria...unfortunatly I doubt Williams would go after one of them.

Starting Pitchers...I mean I'd think we'd be dominant with RJ on the mound, but we still need defense and more specifically offense, so why trade paulie for a 41 year old. Yes, I know he's a HOFer, but I don't see Gload being better than Konerko.

Our outfield situation is screwed unless we get an exceptional fielder who consistently hits for average and OBP.

I really like any signing of Garciaparra or Renteria...unfortunatly I doubt Williams would go after one of them.

Starting Pitchers...I mean I'd think we'd be dominant with RJ on the mound, but we still need defense and more specifically offense, so why trade paulie for a 41 year old. Yes, I know he's a HOFer, but I don't see Gload being better than Konerko.

Our outfield situation is screwed unless we get an exceptional fielder who consistently hits for average and OBP.

1 - One of Renteria or Nomar will be playing with the Cubs next season, pretty much a lock, espeicially after they missed out on Percival, and probably won't be willing to pay for Benitez due to his shaky record in "big" markets. If it's Renteria they sign, we still have a shot a Nomar on a 1 year incentive - laden deal perhaps. I wouldn't hold out much hope for Edgar, even though he'd fit our needs for more speed and defense better.

2 - Looks more and more like RJ will void a trade to the White Sox. Cards or Angels will prob get him, can't see the Yanks having enough pieces to get a deal done, which could actually cost Cashman his job. Too bad Jim Bowden got the GM gig in Washington so quick huh.

3 - Our oufield situation is still clouded. Do we stick Everett into RF? What about DH? Do we trade him? I'd say we try and sign a FA like Dave Roberts or Jermaine Dye perhaps, depending on whether we can fit them into our payroll.

All in all, it still looks like we'll be trying to sign a reliever and a starter, which were the original trargets heading into FA. Jason Kendall is also still very much on the radar.

RJ wants to win, we know that, but he will be more of a winner anywhere he goes after the season he just had with the DBacks. If you are RJ, you have to realize you'd be joining a good starting staff, in turn, making them a GREAT staff. Bring back loaiza to be the 5th starter for cheap money and 1-5, its pretty intimidating. as for wh, last yr was willie's first as a full time starter, he tailed off at the end of the season, but all in all, he was decent out there. 2b and ss are two positions that most teams dont have studs at, so dont be upset if the sox dont have a stud there either. we already have two decent players there now,  they just need to sure up the pen and some other holes, assuming we can get RJ

Screw Loaiza. Id rather have Judy Garland as the 5th starter than E-Lo.

I think Willie should be the starting second basemen and i've said it for weeks.

However I think it's stupid to put him in the leadoff slot at this point. Down the line he might become a great leadoff hitter but I don't think it's a good idea to make him that now.

However the defense of Uribe at SS and Harris at 2B is worth Harris in the 9 hole I think.

Guys last 4 yrs he wasnt able to because of Jerry Reinsdorf. Jerry even said today people payroll last yr will be basically same as this year.  Why do you think Kenny Willams wont do buisness with Boras anymore? Becaise the money kenny puts out there for big names come up way short to others and its fustrating. Kenny would love this team win and Reinsdorf gives nothing about this team. The only thing will happeend is a trade and thats only way this team does it.  Quite frankily I see no team trading for Konerko, Lee, or Garland either because their going wait till next yr free agent market to go get them. Arizona has already said we want a team not rebuilding but a qualified winner for world series. Were not a world series team and probably won't till we have some other guys here. Yes pitching is great but no other offense. Let me guess Joe bochared guy cant hit crap in mexican league will drive big unit here? nope Rj will be traded to Yankees where he wants to go. I can care less about Omar signing or Guzman. I like uribe. Thing is look who he is represented by ... Boras. So good bye Uribe next yr. Good bye Joe Crede as well. So tell me in 2 yrs who will sox team look like? a bunch of minor leaguers which every other team central will dominate.

the Sox's payroll last year was $7 million more than it was supposed to be. they said $58, it was $65. expect it to be around $70. And once again, Reinsdorf isn't the sole owner of the Sox. If you are going to refer to someone being cheap, just say the Sox. I know its harder to blame a group of people rather than just one.

Guys last 4 yrs he wasnt able to because of Jerry Reinsdorf. Jerry even said today people payroll last yr will be basically same as this year.  Why do you think Kenny Willams wont do buisness with Boras anymore? Becaise the money kenny puts out there for big names come up way short to others and its fustrating. Kenny would love this team win and Reinsdorf gives nothing about this team. The only thing will happeend is a trade and thats only way this team does it.  Quite frankily I see no team trading for Konerko, Lee, or Garland either because their going wait till next yr free agent market to go get them. Arizona has already said we want a team not rebuilding but a qualified winner for world series. Were not a world series team and probably won't till we have some other guys here. Yes pitching is great but no other offense. Let me guess Joe bochared guy cant hit crap in mexican league will drive big unit here? nope Rj will be traded to Yankees where he wants to go. I can care less about Omar signing or Guzman. I like uribe. Thing is look who he is represented by ... Boras. So good bye Uribe next yr. Good bye Joe Crede as well. So tell me in 2 yrs who will sox team look like? a bunch of minor leaguers which every other team central will dominate.

:banghead

i watched a fair amount of white sox baseball last year, and just because my opinion doesn't jive with yours is no need to jump down my throat. i thought uribe had a great start to the season offensively and a great finish. in the middle he was bad, which was coincidentally the period of time the sox went in the crapper. was it his fault? no way, but he was as complicit as anyone else.

defensively i thought he had a cannon of an arm and pretty good range. i would have liked to see him out there everyday, no doubt, but the fact of the matter is, he wasn't. why? i don't know, i'm not a coach.

let me reiterate as i said in my previous post that i think he has great potential. and again let me reiterate that i am not criticizing the lack of activity. but if the organization was totally sold on him being the guy everyday, then why were we offering vizquel four or five million a year?

:headbang :headbang :headbang :headbang

Right on, Doc.. like always dude knows WTF he is talking about..

I think Willie should be the starting second basemen and i've said it for weeks.

However I think it's stupid to put him in the leadoff slot at this point. Down the line he might become a great leadoff hitter but I don't think it's a good idea to make him that now.

However the defense of Uribe at SS and Harris at 2B is worth Harris in the 9 hole I think.

And you ripping me in another thread for Jay Gibbons, but you think Harris has done something to be given the job at 2b????

:lolhitting

had Guillen not screwed up with Harris, we would know, for sure with no argument, if Harris can play at the major league level. Unfortunately, the question is still in the air and will require yet another year.

having an infield of Harris, Uribe and Crede, while not ideal from an offensive standpoint, is acceptable in my book IF, IF they go and add a starter and reliever.

had Guillen not screwed up with Harris, we would know, for sure with no argument, if Harris can play at the major league level. Unfortunately, the question is still in the air and will require yet another year.

having an infield of Harris, Uribe and Crede, while not ideal from an offensive standpoint, is acceptable in my book IF, IF they go and add a starter and reliever.

Guillen didn't screw with Harris, the problem is Manuel's love for this guy.. So Manuel would play him day in and day out.. If harris was the answer why did we trade for Robby, last year ?

Here the only way I want PP here....We also have to sign Orlando C to play SS,

Uribe can still be the Platoon with Crede, and others in the IF

Trade

Pauly, Garland and Harris to AZI For Randy

Trade

Randy and Bochard for Javeier Vazquez and Matsui

and there folks would be a very good team

And you ripping me in another thread for Jay Gibbons, but you think Harris has done something to be given the job at 2b????

:lolhitting

At the same time, he hasn't done anything to prove he shouldn't be given a chance. That doesn't make much sense, I know, but the guy hasn't been given the chance to be a starter. The Sox entered last season with him as the starting second baseman, but as soon as he gets into a rythm he was jerked in and out of the lineup.

Don't get me wrong, I'd rather, for the right price, see Vizquel at short and Uribe at second ... but that isn't because Harris is bad, but because there is a big question mark in terms of what he can do. He should be given a legit chance to answer.

Guillen didn't screw with Harris, the problem is Manuel's love for this guy.. So Manuel would play him day in and day out.. If harris was the answer why did we trade for Robby, last year ?

Here the only way I want PP here....We also have to sign Orlando C to play SS,

Uribe can still be the Platoon with Crede, and others in the IF

Trade

Pauly, Garland and Harris to AZI For Randy

Trade

Randy and Bochard for Javeier Vazquez and Matsui

and there folks would be a very good team

I don't recall saying Harris was the answer.......

I do recall the White Sox acquiring Alomar because they were in the playoff race and wanted a veteran like Alomar. That doesn't mean we got Alomar because Harris is bad, but because Alomar is better. Harris isn't great, and probably will never be great. And if you have a chance to have someone at second who is more proven, even if it is someone like Uribe, then you do it, BUT that doesn't mean Harris sucks.

BTW, Harris didn't play everyday in 2003. And when he did, he spent much of it in CF, a new position to him. I think it's unfair to tell someone to play not just a new position, but a tough position, and expect that player to just reach his potential on offense as well.

If it were me, here's what I'd do. But it won't happen, so what's the difference.

1. Sign Nomar and get this SS thing over with, and make the big PR splash.

2. Sign a good sinker ball starter like Leiber. Clement would be ok too.

3. Forget about the Randy Johnson stuff and put the assets into getting Kendall.

4. Add an arm to the bullpen, either by trade, non tender, whatever. If they like this guy Chacon and think they can get him productive, trade a middle level prospect and get it done.

5. Sit back and wait for the non tenders to see if you can get another guy for the OF. Preferably a guy who can play CF and slide Rowand to RF. Everett is your insurance policy in case Frank isn't healthy and gives the corner outfielders a break a few times a week.

It adds payroll and that's why it won't happen. But it sure would solve problems.