Math is Hard...

Soxy

One thing that suprised me was how far ahead in math teaching Mexico is. Kids who immigrate here are always a year or two ahead of their agemates in math concepts and skills. It evens out by High School, but for example Mexico has been very successful in teaching algebra to 6th graders.

They are behind on other areas, so it really comes down to preference and teaching styles.

One thing that suprised me was how far ahead in math teaching Mexico is. Kids who immigrate here are always a year or two ahead of their agemates in math concepts and skills. It evens out by High School, but for example Mexico has been very successful in teaching algebra to 6th graders.

They are behind on other areas, so it really comes down to preference and teaching styles.

That's sad. :headshake

That's sad.  :headshake

Not totally. They are behind in other areas like reading and writing and language skills. (even in their native language). They stress formal language skills later.

Monterey Tech about 2 hours from me has an incredible tech school.

My junior high had a program where a select number of kids would go to the high school and take algebra 1 the first hour of high school, and come back late to junior high. I skipped Algebra 2 freshman year and took Honors Geometry instead, then I took Honors College Algebra, then Trig/Analytical geometry, and then Calculus my senior year with 6 other people.

I thought I was special until I met some kids here at U of I who took Calc III in high school. :o