RJ

thelatinoheat_30

apparently there will be a meeting tomorrow during a golf tournament in AZ for RJ to tell arizona's GM who he would accept a trade to.

more info here, mentions the sox as possible places he would now consider, basically the same stuff, but a little new stuff:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/story/253876p-217363c.html

Randy Johnson: Trade Talks MovingForward

i'm out

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't want him either. It would be like me going out and buying a 52 inch plasma TV. Yeah it would be cool to have but it would look pretty stupid in my small apartment.

The point is we don't have the budget to be able to afford him, improve our bullpen, sign a decent 5th starter (since Garland would more then likely be gone), and field a competitive offense.

If the offer is just Garland and Konerko for Johnson, I don't know how anyone can balk at that offer.

This is Randy Johnson folks. Don't tell me, "Oh, he's 41 years old, blah blah blah.". So what? Like someone said on this board earlier, plenty of guys have shown that they're able to play and play at a high level into their forties (Nolan Ryan, Roger Clemens, and though not yet 40, but still up there in age, Maddux and Schilling). Johnson is definitely one of them.

Konerko was pretty bad on the road this year, and as much help as he provided playing at the Cell, we have a guy who has hit everywhere he's ever played in Ross Gload. Not to mention Gload is an upgrade defensively at first, too..

And, some of you need to get over Garland. While I'm one of Garland's bigger backers, IMHO, the best Jon will ever be is a solid number three. Not saying that is a bad thing, but I don't see Garland pitching a sub-4.25 ERA next season. I also believe (hold in the laughs) that Diaz has earned his shot at being our fifth starter, as he has dominated AAA, and should be given a fair shot -- not pitching on three or ten days rest, given more than one start -- at the fifth starters role. That, or sign a veteran to take the role...

This is the Big Unit. If the deal is Konerko and Garland for Johnson, where the hell do I sign?

And, some of you need to get over Garland.  While I'm one of Garland's bigger backers, IMHO, the best Jon will ever be is a solid number three.  Not saying that is a bad thing, but I don't see Garland pitching a sub-4.25 ERA next season.  I also believe (hold in the laughs) that Diaz has earned his shot at being our fifth starter, as he has dominated AAA, and should be given a fair shot -- not pitching on three or ten days rest, given more than one start -- at the fifth starters role.  That, or sign a veteran to take the role...

I try to tell people this, but there's others posters (won't mention names) that are still on his nuts.

Konerko was pretty bad on the road this year, and as much help as he provided playing at the Cell, we have a guy who has hit everywhere he's ever played in Ross Gload.  Not to mention Gload is an upgrade defensively at first, too..

I dont mind trading Konerko, infact im in favor of it, but to try and rationalize it becuase we have Ross Gload waiting in the wings is kinda silly.

Paul is a All-Star caliber player, you cant refute that

Gload is career minor-leaguer up until this point, and while his glove at first isn't bad... it's closer to equal to paulie's glove rather than better.

Garland is a continual dissapointment... he's my favorite sox but still sometimes you gotta call a turd a turd.

IF you can get Randy Johnson... you get Randy Johnson.

If the offer is just Garland and Konerko for Johnson, I don't know how anyone can balk at that offer.

This is Randy Johnson folks.  Don't tell me, "Oh, he's 41 years old, blah blah blah.".  So what?  Like someone said on this board earlier, plenty of guys have shown that they're able to play and play at a high level into their forties (Nolan Ryan, Roger Clemens, and though not yet 40, but still up there in age, Maddux and Schilling).  Johnson is definitely one of them.

Konerko was pretty bad on the road this year, and as much help as he provided playing at the Cell, we have a guy who has hit everywhere he's ever played in Ross Gload.  Not to mention Gload is an upgrade defensively at first, too..

And, some of you need to get over Garland.  While I'm one of Garland's bigger backers, IMHO, the best Jon will ever be is a solid number three.  Not saying that is a bad thing, but I don't see Garland pitching a sub-4.25 ERA next season.  I also believe (hold in the laughs) that Diaz has earned his shot at being our fifth starter, as he has dominated AAA, and should be given a fair shot -- not pitching on three or ten days rest, given more than one start -- at the fifth starters role.  That, or sign a veteran to take the role...

This is the Big Unit.  If the deal is Konerko and Garland for Johnson, where the hell do I sign?

agree with everything there.... I think back garland even more than you, and I'd do it..

I think diaz can give you 12-12 5.00 ERA, and come $2M cheaper.

I've always been a fan of Garland, but trading him and Konerko for Johnson, while a bit scary when you consider the bad that could come of it, it's a trade you have to make.

now, if another player is involved in the deal, the D-Backs better be giving money or another player in return.

That's the thing, they're going to want more than just Garland and Konerko. Who says he wants to come here anyways? I haven't seen anything yet.

WT, that's the thing -- it's all hypothetical, situational, whatever you wanna call it. I'm just saying, if the offer is Konerko and Garland for Johnson -- that's it, the offer, no prospects or other people (although there might be a money exchange) -- you make the trade.

And Murcie, I agree with you. Konerko has been a solid asset to this team the past x-amount of years. He's not the reason we're losing.

But like you said, you have the chance to get the Big Unit, you gotta do it.