Sox interested in Walker and Renteria

maggsmaggs

The Sox apparently offered a 2-year, $4 million to Walker--comes source at http://mb3.scout.com/fchicagocubsfrm1.show...cID=18929.topic

-This one doesn't seem like a made up rumor, it actually seems true as evident by the Sox lowballing an offer to him

And on ESPN Radio 1000, Harry of Mac, Jurko and Harry said the Kenny Williams has jumped into the Edgar Renteria contest.

Not the best sources, but both seem accurate

I wouldn't mind Walker. Solid lefty bat in the lineup, like Ace said, I could care less if he was a Flub...

I'd take Walker. Solid, left-handed bat, can platoon with Willie, veteran. I can give a rat's ass if he was a former cub.

1.Platoon w/ Willie, are you kidding! This guy is a solid all around 2B hitter he is just below average defensively.

2.KW and Ozzie don't want to risk their reputation by signing a guy that is poor defensively and last season when they could've gotten walker very cheap, they passed on him.

3.Walker is a very fine player IMO. I am shocked how low of a contract he got last season and when he was clutch and a dependable hitter on the Bosox and was that way w/ the cubs. It is to bad we will not acquire him.

The Sox apparently offered a 2-year, $4 million to Walker--comes source at http://mb3.scout.com/fchicagocubsfrm1.show...cID=18929.topic

-This one doesn't seem like a made up rumor, it actually seems true as evident by the Sox lowballing an offer to him

And on ESPN Radio 1000, Harry of Mac, Jurko and Harry said the Kenny Williams has jumped into the Edgar Renteria contest.

Not the best sources, but both seem accurate

Walker? :huh: Why not Polanco :huh

Walker ain't a bad hitter but we need defense too

I don't want Walker here, he was the main crybaby on the Cubs who cried over being criticized by Steve Stone and Chip Carey.

No he wasn't. I think you are thinking of Kent Mercker or Moises Alou. I never heard Walker crying about being criticized. If anything Stone and Caray wanted him in there instead of Grudz.

Walker is a butcher in the field.

Wait, before you stat-hounds get out on this...I don't care what his defensive numbers are/were. Anyone that has watched this guy for an extended period of time, knows he isn;t good defensivly.

With that said, I still think he would be a good pick up for this ballclub. If he came at this right price, I think he could be very productive for this team

Plus, he'd take significant time away from Willie "MVP" Harris, so all of you know I'm down with that. :D

Walker is a horrible secondbaseman. Its no coincidence that every team he's been on doesn't have much interest in bringing him back. He is better than Harris offensively by far, however. The only way I see the Sox signing him is if, indeed, they are moving Konerko and need more offense. They may even think of using him at first.

We would be defeating the purpose of trading or signing FA's to upgrade. We don't need a defensive liability with a bat. We want better defense not worse. It also seems that every free agent we talk about somehow gets this grinder label. I don't see that either.

I still believe Rentaria will resign with the Cards.And while Todd Walker

is a great left handed bat,his fielding scares me.But you are right.

He does have a penchant for the Sox.Last summer,after the whole

Kent Mercker incident where he called up to the booth telling Stone

and Chimp to stop basehing the sCrUBS,Walker was on the SNORE

asking why the sCrUBS broadcasters couldn't be more like

Hawk and DJ. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Walker is a butcher in the field. 

Wait, before you stat-hounds get out on this...I don't care what his defensive numbers are/were.  Anyone that has watched this guy for an extended period of time, knows he isn;t good defensivly.

With that said, I still think he would be a good pick up for this ballclub.  If he came at this right price, I think he could be very productive for this team

Plus, he'd take significant time away from Willie "MVP" Harris, so all of you know I'm down with that. :D

Statistically, he's been bad these past 2 years...what's that say?

His Range Factor/9(I'm not sure if this is using just players who played full games, or if it's using the average range factor and taking it out over a full game...I think it is the former, but someone could probably clear this up) has been below the league average the past 2 years(4.75 with Boston, while the league's average was 4.94, and it was 4.36 with the league average being 5.01, so he was especially bad this past year).

The reason he'd been considered good defensively ever before(being statistically or visually) was because he didn't make errors. Over 154 games with the Reds in 2002, he made a total of 8 errors. The next year, with Boston, in 15 fewer games, he made twice as many errors, 16 total. And this past year, he made 7 errors in 89 games. His defense has definately gotten much worse.

One thing about his range factor this year though is that he was on a power pitching staff...almost every Cubs pitcher gets a lot of strikeouts, which would take away from his attempts in the field, which would effect his range factor.

That being said...he is bad defensively. Keep him the hell out of here, or atleast away from being our starting 2B.

Statistically, he's been bad these past 2 years...what's that say?

His Range Factor/9(I'm not sure if this is using just players who played full games, or if it's using the average range factor and taking it out over a full game...I think it is the former, but someone could probably clear this up) has been below the league average the past 2 years(4.75 with Boston, while the league's average was 4.94, and it was 4.36 with the league average being 5.01, so he was especially bad this past year).

The reason he'd been considered good defensively ever before(being statistically or visually) was because he didn't make errors.  Over 154 games with the Reds in 2002, he made a total of 8 errors.  The next year, with Boston, in 15 fewer games, he made twice as many errors, 16 total.  And this past year, he made 7 errors in 89 games.  His defense has definately gotten much worse.

One thing about his range factor this year though is that he was on a power pitching staff...almost every Cubs pitcher gets a lot of strikeouts, which would take away from his attempts in the field, which would effect his range factor. 

That being said...he is bad defensively.  Keep him the hell out of here, or atleast away from being our starting 2B.

His range factor numbers from Baseball-reference .com

In 2001 with colorado and the reds his range factor/9 was 5.09 the league's was 4.89

In 2002 with the reds RF/9 Was 5.14 while the league's was 4.96

In 2003 with the Red Sox RF/9 4.75, League was 4.94

In 2004 with the Cubs RF/9 4.39, League was 5.01

http://www.baseball-reference.com/w/walketo04.shtml

If Walker was signed to play 1B and Konerko was dealt to obtain a good leadoff hitter ( preferably a 2B, don't ask me who cuz I'm not a MLB Insider :D ), then I'm okay with it.

I like his bat, but I want a leadoff guy at either 2B or SS. Those are the only places you could place a leadoff guy on the Sox, I think, unless they made the Kendall deal.

If Walker was signed to play 1B and Konerko was dealt to obtain a good leadoff hitter ( preferably a 2B, don't ask me who cuz I'm not a MLB Insider :D ), then I'm okay with it.

I like his bat, but I want a leadoff guy at either 2B or SS. Those are the only places you could place a leadoff guy on the Sox, I think, unless they made the Kendall deal.

A centerfielder would work as well. Rowand can move to RF.

I don't want Walker here, he was the main crybaby on the Cubs who cried over being criticized by Steve Stone and Chip Carey.

I don't think that was Walker, I seem to remember Walker as being kind of a media buffer ( or apologist ) for his teammates, but I'd expect that out of a teammate. I'm just kind of surprised that the Cubs let both Grudz and Walker go....if they don't end up re-signing Walker later, that is...

A centerfielder would work as well.  Rowand can move to RF.

True, but I really don't know if they're going to look in that direction.

I HOPE they do, cuz I have NO idea who can play RF right now that I like, but I get the idea that Oz is less-than-pleased with Willie and would prefer to let him ride pine.