Clement a Prime Candidate for Sox?

beck72

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i heard that the indians are also extremely interested in clement

Yes, I heard that too.

Beck's scenario posted above is probably not too far off, except for the Renteria part. No way do I see them getting Renteria. I hope I'm wrong though.

Beck's scenario posted above is probably not too far off, except for the Renteria part.  No way do I see them getting Renteria.  I hope I'm wrong though.

The Sox could only get Renteria if they moved additional salary other than PK and Garland [like Lee, Everett or contreras] and sign someone cheaper to fill those spots. Not likely. Lee has value, Carl little to none [though I think he'll be decent in '05]. Contreras will be the Sox pitching project

I am fine with that argument, but my point still stands, play in chicago or play in Toronto. If the money is the same or even near the same, I am staying in the states.

Plus he'd be staying in the same city. I think he would even take a little less for something like that to happen.

I would take either Clement or Lieber, but CLTV this morning reported that Toronto is close to signing Clement, come on Kenny, get off your ass.

They may have an agreement, but Rippaldi wants to wait until after the deadline to offer arbitration to sign players. However, if I were the Cubs I'd offer arbitration cause Clement is going to get a good multi year offer from someone.

The Jays will forfeit the draft pick though if they have to, imo.

And here is the key issue.

Good chance the Sox get outbid, or it's not even close.

If Toronto has this guy targeted it's very possible they'll overpay.

If it's me I go after Leiber first and then Clement.  Something about Clement's health scares me.

I just don't see Toronto having the budget to overpay, then again they are losing Delgado's salary.

They may have an agreement, but Rippaldi wants to wait until after the deadline to offer arbitration to sign players.  However, if I were the Cubs I'd offer arbitration cause Clement is going to get a good multi year offer from someone. 

The Jays will forfeit the draft pick though if they have to, imo.

Rippaldi. Oh Boy. :lolhitting

On SportsNight on Comcast Sports net they were talking to clement about who he knew was interested in him and where he would like to play and he said somthin like "The other chicago team would have an advantage because me and my wife like the city so much"

Sounds like someone telling the Sox, 'get an offer on the table and I'll sign pretty quickly'. Finally, someone who wants to be here. Knowing Clement is one of the options out there puts the Sox in a nice position to fill that #3 spot.

Scott Gregor of the Daily Herald said that the most likely KW move would be signing a FA SP, w/ Matt Clement being the "prime candidate". I don't know if I buy it. Yet w/ clement being around Chi. the last few yrs, Gregor might have heard some whispers. [And if clement likes Chi. why move to another city when you can stay for 3, 4 more yrs?] Signing Clement is more likely then trading for RJ, or one of the big 3 [which would cost a lot of talent, not much cash], esp as the sox need to fill their other holes. They would have money left over to trade for a Kendall, and possibly another guy for the IF [prob not Renteria though he may come under $10 mill a yr]

http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/sports_s...?intID=38311103

I think signing Clement would be the best option to shore up the rotation. Trading for Johnson, under the current deal, would leave us with 2 dominant starters yes but we'd still have the nagging problem of the 5th starter roulette wheel and guaranteed loss as well as the loss of Konerko's offensive production.

http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/ds.../pro/211sd7.htm

Unwelcome Matt?

Pitcher Matt Clement said it's "more than likely" he will not return in 2005, even though the Cubs are the team the right-hander would most like to pitch for.

He said the White Sox, among other teams, have contacted him, but the Cleveland Indians have been the most aggressive in trying to sign the 30-year-old.

"They've been probably in the most contact with me so far from the get-go," Clement said of the Indians. "I'm going to go there in the next couple of weeks to see them. The advantage they have for me is that it's less than a two-hour drive from my home in (Butler) Pennsylvania."

Nice to know the Sox have at least contacted him. I'm sure he'd be happy to stay in Chicago if the Sox made a fair offer. Its funny how you hear all these reports of Toronto being the team interested and then he says Cleveland has been the most agressive and the team he's talked with the most.

I still think Clement doesn't sign for a couple more weeks.

Nice to know the Sox have at least contacted him.  I'm sure he'd be happy to stay in Chicago if the Sox made a fair offer.  Its funny how you hear all these reports of Toronto being the team interested and then he says Cleveland has been the most agressive and the team he's talked with the most. 

I still think Clement doesn't sign for a couple more weeks.

I think most of the SPs will take a long time to sign.

190 K's last season. I understand that is NL, but he pitched well interleague wise as well.

who cares, there is a reason that he in consistanly at .500, he is just like having another Garland in the rotation to lose every other outing, I loved when the cubs would pitch him, because then I knew I could laugh about another loss. He is not a good option, especially with all the other options out there. I hope the Indians get him, then I will look forward to Clement losing games for them.

who cares, there is a reason that he in consistanly at .500, he is just like having another Garland in the rotation to lose every other outing, I loved when the cubs would pitch him, because then I knew I could laugh about another loss.  He is not a good option, especially with all the other options out there.  I hope the Indians get him, then I will look forward to Clement losing games for them.

He does not win because he gets no run support. Ever think of that one?

He does not win because he gets no run support. Ever think of that one?

His k's are still a worthless figure, giving that probably a fourth of his strike outs were pitchers batting. Im still not convinced that his run support is the reason that he lost so many games, and walked so many batters. We need to stop trying to pick up the castaway cubs players. There is a reason why they imploded this year, and the reason is their players. No thanks