Clement a Prime Candidate for Sox?

beck72

One thing to think about re: Clement. He helped the Cubs early on when Woods and Prior were both hurt. He helped carry them, much like Mark Mulder did for the A's when guys were doing poorly and were banged up for them.

Mulder got fatigued late in the year, fading far worse than Clement did. Clement might have experienced the same thing as well. People talk about how Clement faded in the stretch. Yet he was solid early in the year when the other guys weren't around. I know its how you finish not how you start. Yet the Cubs collapse wasn't due to their SP's, and Clement.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing to think about re: Clement. He helped the Cubs early on when Woods and Prior were both hurt. He helped carry them, much like Mark Mulder did for the A's when guys were doing poorly and were banged up for them.

Mulder got fatigued late in the year, fading far worse than Clement did. Clement might have experienced the same thing as well. People talk about how Clement faded in the stretch. Yet he was solid early in the year when the other guys weren't around. I know its how you finish not how you start. Yet the Cubs collapse wasn't due to their SP's, and Clement.

Agreed. Their starters are actually quality players who you cant talk any kind of s*** about. They showed up and did their part but nobody else did and thats why they came apart. Yes.....even Zambrano.

Agreed.  Their starters are actually quality players who you cant talk any kind of s*** about.  They showed up and did their part but nobody else did and thats why they came apart.  Yes.....even Zambrano.

And Clement showed up the entire year, when others couldn't pitch. Whether his injury was and still is serious, i never heard any compaints or excuses from him. He did his job, even when he wasn't 100%. that's all any fans can ask of a player. that coupled with his performance of the last few years, and getting better and more consistent, would make him a decent pickup, IMO

Personally, I couldn't care less what uniform he wore last year.  If he can be a quality pitcher for the Sox, I'm all for signing him.  And I believe Clement would be a quality pitcher.

I would Take Kerry Wood and Mark Prior and Zambrano if they want to castaway those guys as well.

I heard on the Score yesterday, Clement was interviewed and stated that he and his wife love Chicago. He says that the other Chicago team has contacted him about joining their staff. He said that because they love Chicago, he would have to consider coming to the Sox, but must leave his options open. He sounded like he would give a discount to the Sox to remain here. In closing the announcer stated that Cleveland still is the frontrunner.

Well if cleveland is the front runner- it should give KW another reason to sign him. I don't want a solid pitcher like Clement on a opposing central division team. We have to make a statement. And if signing Clement the first off-season statement, then im all for it!! Dec. 7th is soon, this will be interesting!

Teams may not wait till Dec 7th now since the Cubs are rumored to be willing to offer him arbitration.

Although I can't see them doing it with Nomar.

You know someone is going to give Clement a mulityear deal for good money. There is no reason the Cubs won't offer arbit to him.

Nomar wants as big of a one year deal as possible in order to have a big year and get his big payoff contract. Arbitration would be just what the doctor ordered for him, but the Cubs aren't interested in paying that much for him.

The White Sox should be right in the middle of going after Nomar and giving him a one year deal with a player option for a 2nd year, at a price reasonable to the Sox (for year #2).

Makes sense from several perspectives. Sox acquired all that pitching with Garcia and Contreras and are in "win now" mode. Nomar needs to prove he's healthy. Sox need a box office buzz. Sox have been interested in the past. Plus, news flash, Garciaparra can hit. If he needs time off you've got Uribe.

Unfortunately, the key word in this post is "should".

C'mon White Sox front office ... surprise me for once.

The White Sox should be right in the middle of going after Nomar and giving him a one year deal with a player option for a 2nd year, at a price reasonable to the Sox (for year #2).

With a Nomar signing, a SP like Clement might still be possible. Though cheaper guys like Odalis Perez, and Russ Ortiz would be more likely.

Having Nomar hit #2 wouldn't be the worst of options for the sox. Or, if the Sox are really interested in revamping their lineup, Carlos Lee could be traded for another talented player or two. With Nomar's avg and power, Lee would be expendable. Who Lee could be traded for remains to be seen. But his worth is much greater than PK, and could change the Sox lineup the most with the players he could bring in return

With a Nomar signing, a SP like Clement might still be possible. Though cheaper guys like Odalis Perez, and Russ Ortiz would be more likely.

Having Nomar hit #2 wouldn't be the worst of options for the sox. Or, if the Sox are really interested in revamping their lineup, Carlos Lee could be traded for another talented player or two. With Nomar's avg and power, Lee would be expendable. Who Lee could be traded for remains to be seen. But his worth is much greater than PK, and could change the Sox lineup the most with the players he could bring in return

Frankly I'd prefer Perez over Clement for a couple of reasons. He has less injury problems, is younger, a lefty, and has recorded a 15 win season before. It astounds me that Eric Milton will probably get a 21 million deal, and Perez could get less.

Frankly I'd prefer Perez over Clement for a couple of reasons. He has less injury problems, is younger, a lefty, and has recorded a 15 win season before. It astounds me that Eric Milton will probably get a 21 million deal, and Perez could get less.

I think a few SP's will turn out to be big steals, Perez among them. It's kind of amazing how much of an effect only one or two games can have on people's perceptions of a players worth. Like Perez, his 2 playoff games matter more than his other 30 starts, and the promise he showed in other years.

Perez certainly wouldn't be a bad "fall back" option

Umm, what injury problems is everyone referring to with Clement. We are all speculating that he is hurt or something. I realize he's had some minor injury problems but he throws innings pretty much every year.

On the other hand, Odalis Perez, whom I happen to like, has missed starts pretty much every season due to arm troubles.

I think a few SP's will turn out to be big steals, Perez among them. It's kind of amazing how much of an effect only one or two games can have on people's perceptions of a players worth. Like Perez, his 2 playoff games matter more than his other 30 starts, and the promise he showed in other years.

Perez certainly wouldn't be a bad "fall back" option

The other big thing that hurts Perez is his record, even though in a sense he didn't have that much control over it.

I dunno if this has been put anywhere else in this thread or another thread, but I'm too lazy to look. Has this blurb from the papers been addressed in regards to Clement?

The White Sox might have a shot at free-agent pitcher Matt Clement. "My wife and I love Chicago, and we want to be here," Clement said. The Cubs are expected to offer salary arbitration to the 31-year-old right-hander, who was 9-13 with a 3.68 ERA last season. . .