Sports Illustrateed Takes a Shot at the White Sox

maggsmaggs

Picking up an All-Star pitcher indicates seriousness to fans and enhances the attractiveness of the situation to future free agents. True, Percival will throw only 50 innings, but it's important for Tigers fans to maintain the perception that ownership cares about success. Plus, closers are fungible, and I can easily see Percival flipped in the summer of '05 to, say, the White Sox, who will be five games out but still laboring under the illusion of contention.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/writ...tove/index.html

We are now becoming the laughing stock of the league more and more each year.

Alright, I know what's going to happen in this thread. Members (like YASNY) will list their examples of a team under the 'illusion of contention', only to come back strong in the second half. Or someone else will attack the credibility of the author. I'm not trying to personally insult you YANSY, I just feel we ignore the problems by listing clubs who overcame their deficit in the standings.

Why, instead of hoping we're in contention come July, management does it job and fills roster holes before April? I can't be the only one who is tired of praying this team competes, so Williams can patch a hole HE ignored in the offseason. Last two years the lack of a fifth starter has killed our club. If this problem isn't corrected we will find ourselves five games out, again.

I'm all for us having a 20 game lead at the trade deadline. I just don't consider 5 out on July 31st an "illusion of contention". I used an example to reinforce my point. Things can go either way from that point in time, but under that criteria, a team is still in the picture.

Alright, I know what's going to happen in this thread.  Members (like YASNY) will list their examples of a team under the 'illusion of contention', only to come back strong in the second half.  Or someone else will attack the credibility of the author.  I'm not trying to personally insult you YANSY, I just feel we ignore the problems by listing clubs who overcame their deficit in the standings.

Why, instead of hoping we're in contention come July, management does it job and fills roster holes before April? I can't be the only one who is tired of praying this team competes, so Williams can patch a hole HE ignored in the offseason. Last two years the lack of a fifth starter has killed our club.  If this problem isn't corrected we will find ourselves five games out, again.

Having guys for the whole year vs having guys for 2 months

One costs more money then the other...and I'm not a JR/Sox ownership basher. JMO of course.

Hope that helps.

Yes they do. And by the way do you have any old issues of the swimming suit editions I could buy? I want to put them with my baseballsand bats! :wub:  :rolly

Nahhh, I've never subscribed and I don't buy the swimsuit issue.

If I want to see booooobeeeees, I know of better places to look.... :ph34r: :lol:

f*** si they know nothing. i only read 1 writer and thats rick riley.

I like Steve Rushin too. Riley is very good. My favorite part, and by far the best, is Bill Scheft's "The Show." I know he atleast used to be a writer for David Letterman, and is a very funny man with some great jokes.