Nick Johnson could become available

AnthraxFan93

to nick "I going on my 3rd team cause Joe B hits better than me" johnson?

Hmm.... Nick Johnson career obp .372, career ops .757. Orlando Cabrera's career obp .316, career ops .725. So it looks like Nick Johnson is a better hitter then your boyfriend doesn't it??

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey ANthrax, just for your information, N. Johnson was riddled with injurys all last year.

Perhaps, by some strange means of logic, this affected his swing. New concept, yes, I know.

Maybe with some good conditioning and workouts during the offseason he'll be 100% by Spring Training.

Who is Jay Gibbons? Alex?

You are Correct pick again

I will take Players that will Help the Sox in 05 for 400

The Answer is

played SS for the World series Champs Boston Red Sox.

Ohh boy, I'm going to have some fun in this thread. :D

Orlando Cabrera ($6,000,000) - 264, 10 HR, 62 RBI's, 39 BB's, 54 K's.

AUGUST - .278, 3 HR, 14 RBI's, 5 BB's, 14 K's, .303 OBP

SEPTEMBER - .304, 2 HR, 13 RBI's, 5 BB's, 9 K's, .327 OBP.

GRASS - .264, 7 HR, 41 RBI's, 24 BB's, 37 RBI's, .308 OBP.

HITTING #2 - .273, 1 HR, 9 RBI's, 9 BB's, 10 K's, .324 OBP.

HITTING #6 - .325, 3 HR, 18 RBI's, 10 BB's, 19 K's, .359 OBP.

Another guy who was once underrated is Cabrera, although his losing that status is not because of any skill deterioration, but rather that he got a chance to play for the Red Sox during their World Series run. After a few solid offensive seasons in Montreal, Cabrera got off to a very slow start this year, hitting just .246/.298/.336 in 103 games with the Expos, before being traded to Boston. Once with the Red Sox, he got back on track, hitting .294/.320/.465 down the stretch. His overall numbers were not particularly good -- .264/.306/.383 with 10 homers and 38 doubles in 161 games -- but he came fairly close to matching his career averages of .268/.316/.409.

At 30, Cabrera is a couple years older than I thought he was and he hit .275/.325/.409 over the last three years, so he's not a guy who's likely to break out in a big way. However, with his defense and baserunning (65-for-78 stealing bases during that stretch), Cabrera can be a valuable player if he can simply repeat that .275/.325/.409 for the next few years. In a lot of years, I suspect Cabrera would be in line for a very nice contract, but he is probably hurt more than anyone by the depth of the free agent shortstop class this offseason.

Nick Johnson ($1,250,000) - .251, 7 HR, 33 RBI's, 40 BB's, 58 K's, .359 OBP in 73 games.

Hitting

Johnson is one of the most patient hitters in the league. This had gotten him into trouble at times during his rookie campaign, when pitchers came right at him and often put him behind in the count. But the balance shifted last year as he began to earn greater respect. Not a classic power hitter by any stretch, he hits a lot of line drives and will use the whole field. He may mature into a .300 hitter, or he may develop into a consistent 25-homer guy, but even if he does neither, he'll remain a fine-if somewhat unconventional-No. 2 hitter because of his ability to get on base.

Jeromy Burnitz ($1,250,000) - .283, 37 HR, 110 RBI's, 28 BB's, 124 K's, .356 OBP.

HOME - .322, 24 HR, 68 RBI's, 29 BB's, 57 K's, .386 OBP.

AWAY - .244, 13 HR, 42 RBI's, 29 BB's, 67 K's, .327 OBP.

Jay Gibbons ($3,000,000) - .246, 10 HR, 47 RBI's, 29 BB's, 64 K's, .303 OBP.

Who is Jay Gibbons? Alex?

You are Correct pick again

I will take Players that will Help the Sox in 05 for 400

The Answer is

played SS for the World series Champs Boston Red Sox.

:huh

How would Nick JOhnson NOT help the Sox?

He would have a great bench player in Gload remain that, and while I think Gload could start every day and be fine, some don't. Johnson breaks up our righties, provides some pop for losing PK, drives in runs, and posts a better OBP than PK. I could definately live with that.

Has anyone actually considered the fact Ross Gload could be able to play RF IF we need him to. A platoon of Everett and Gload in RF, wouldn't be the worst scenario to consider, IF the Sox plan on giving Gload enough reps in spring training at RF.

:huh

How would Nick JOhnson NOT help the Sox?

He would have a great bench player in Gload remain that, and while I think Gload could start every day and be fine, some don't. Johnson breaks up our righties, provides some pop for losing PK, drives in runs, and posts a better OBP than PK. I could definately live with that.

That great and all, but how many times in his 4 year Career has he made it through the whole season????

1 time...

WHOPPIE

That great and all, but how many times in his 4 year Career has he made it through the whole season????

1 time...

WHOPPIE

It's not like we would have to trade rowand or lee, or anyone else like them for him. Especially since he trade value is so low right now.

1 time...

WHOPPIE

1) the Yankees got a better 1B in Jason Giambi (then)

2) Year 1 he did not play the full season because he was a September callup (I believe, correct me if I'm wrong)

3) Year 2 played 129 Games in the Yankees all star lineup, pretty good for a rookie!

4) Year 3 same thing as in Year 2

5) Year 4 = Injury

He'd have more opportunity here than he did in New York. I'd be willing to bet the Yankees are kicking themselves for trading JOhnson period in the situation they're in for First base.

1 time...

WHOPPIE

Wow - you're terrible at providing an argument for a player, and you're also a hypocrit.

Only ONE time in Jay Gibbons four year career has he posted 500+ AB's. Yet, Nick Johnson, who also seems to have the same injury bug (except in this case, Johnson is better in just about every offensive category) -- is a bad option?

This is absolutely pathetic, yet funny... :lol:

1) the Yankees got a better 1B in Jason Giambi (then)

2) Year 1 he did not play the full season because he was a September callup (I believe, correct me if I'm wrong)

3) Year 2 played 129 Games in the Yankees all star lineup, pretty good for a rookie!

4) Year 3 same thing as in Year 2

5) Year 4 = Injury

He'd have more opportunity here than he did in New York. I'd be willing to bet the Yankees are kicking themselves for trading JOhnson period in the situation they're in for First base.

Year 1 ...23 games

Year 2 .. 129

Year 3.. 96

Year 4.. 73

I think you should retake basic addtion.

One bad season in 04, in 4 seasons

compare to one good season in 02 in 4 seasons

HMM... Need a map to see the way?

One bad season?

You mean one 'good' season, right?

Highest OBP ever was .330, highest average was .277 (other years, below .250).

I'm done for the night.

Has anyone actually considered the fact Ross Gload could be able to play RF IF we need him to. A platoon of Everett and Gload in RF, wouldn't be the worst scenario to consider, IF the Sox plan on giving Gload enough reps in spring training at RF.

I respect your opinion DBHA0, but Gload looked horrendous defensively in RF last year. I think he would cost us way too many outs/runs if he is a platoon player in RF. That is just my opinion of course.

Wow - you're terrible at providing an argument for a player, and you're also a hypocrit.

Only ONE time in Jay Gibbons four year career has he posted 500+ AB's.  Yet, Nick Johnson, who also seems to have the same injury bug (except in this case, Johnson is better in just about every offensive category) -- is a bad option?

This is absolutely pathetic, yet funny...  :lol:

year 1 73 games

Year 2 136 Games

Year 3 160 games

Year 4 97 games

Those are very comparable to johnson :lolhitting

Keep trying to sell me the crap you guys have to offer.