Keyhole

GASHWOUND

Anybody else playing around with this? I guess Google bought this service and it's pretty cool..I downloaded the 7 day free trial, but its fun(in a no life kinda way) zooming in on your house..also zoomed in on Comiskey...although you can't zoom in through people's windows or anything lke that..it's still pretty cool

http://www.keyhole.com/index.html?promo=hpp-en-us-1

Is this thing a satellite up in space that basically just zooms to where you want it to?

If the Sox were playing a baseball game, could we zoom to it and watch it from this thing?

It is not live, it's archived satellite imagery. Their site says images are an average of 18 to 24 months old, with some images as new as 2 months to others as old as 3 years old or older.

The satellite weserver project started with Gates funding and now used by a lot of databases runs basically the same way. This is probably built on that database.

Government and private satellite imagery is way too sensitive and ephemerally valuable for consumer level access. But, after a few months all of that is pretty uselss for a lot of high-end needs bet it's perfectly good for our use.

Also, the global snapshot represented by a database like this at any one time depicts an idealized, mythical cloudless day worldwide. That's obviously not the true picture at any given moment - maybu half the earth's land masses will be obscured buy clouds and a sat image will be useless.

Really I'm not this geeky - there was a good NPR piece on this stuff a year or so ago on fair use of satellite image databases by private individuals, who pays for it etc.

Yea definitly not live. There is a neighborhood east of mine that they put in over the summer and on the picture they have the dirt roads dug and thats it. There are already 30 houses in that subdivision now so thats at least 3-5 months old

EDIT: its actually alot older than that. There was a golf course near my house that they tore down last spring that is still there in the photo.

Yeah, good old Terraserver will probably always be enough for my non-demanding needs (that's the one started with Gates $$ and uses USGS photos w/up to 1-m resolution. It works on my macs (Keyhole doesn't yet),it's free, and it has more complete coverage as of now.

The only downside is that a lot vof the aerials (at least for Florida) are about 5 years old. A lot has changed in 5 years.

Pretty neat, I zoomed into San Francisco and found the 49ers stadium, a game was being played at the time of the picture.

Umm where exactly is there stadium, because when i put in the address from the 49ers site it takes me to an empty field pretty far south of San Franciso. Have they changed stadiums recently :huh:

EDIT: Oh man im an idiot. I put in the training facilities address. Its the first address you see when you go to the stadium page :bang

There are some amazing resources out there. A friend took advatage of a satelite soil survey to locate a three acre pond on his property. The clay he was looking for was dead accurate on the map. I believe the county ag extension provided the map.