Moviegoers Claim Big Treasure

Yoda

nationaltreasure_firstposter.jpg

1.) National Treasure $35,298,000

2.) The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie $33,500,000

3.) The Incredibles $26,790,000

4.) The Polar Express $15,215,000

5.) Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason $10,106,000

For the first time in over a year, two new films opened to north of $30M each over the same frame as Disney's action adventure National Treasure and Paramount's The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie both generated solid debuts despite playing to similar audiences. Competing animated films The Incredibles and The Polar Express helped make it a bustling weekend at North American theaters with ticket sales for the top ten reaching their highest point since the Fourth of July holiday session.

Wow, I honestly thought "National Treasure" would bomb. Especially after bad reviews and a lame premise, IMO.

I thought it would bomb too. I do admit I kind of want to see it, but only because part of it was filmed on campus near my old dorm. Course, I'm not paying 8 bucks to go see it, I can wait for it to be on DVD. City officials also seem to think that the movie will help tourism in DC. :rolly I really don't think DC has a tourism problem, but whatever...

I thought Renee Zelwegger looked pretty hot in the first, but from the previews for the 2nd, she looks kinda nasty. Unless there is other eye candy you speak of.

Yes, I speak of Hugh Grant and Colin Firth fighting in a fountain. And just the two of them in general.

It seems that when movies do as much advertising as National Treasure did they never bomb.

it gets people's interest up since thats all they see for a few weeks leading up to it, but iirc didn't the hulk do alright its first week and then bombed after that when word got out it was so-so. that was considered a bomb since it was supposed to be major blockbuster earning hundreds of millions...