*Official* College Basketball Thread

Crappy team to the best? Are you describing Illinois as s***ty when Self took them over? I think you need a history lesson.

I also agree it would be more fun/challenging to take a good team and bring it into the top 10 programs in the country, not bolt when you've laid the framework for such a program

no my reference to crappy team was the EA sports idea.

take a crappy team and recruit good teams in games like NCAA Football or Madden

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is a very EA Sports answer.

you know take a crappy team and recruit to be the best.

I didn't say I would want to coach a very small program over someone like Kansas or Kentucky, that would be stupid. But yes, I would rather coach Stanford, Illinois, Texas, etc.. places that have very good programs but need to take the next step. If you read my post I very clearly said I would rather have a very good program then one considered elite because it would be a much more rewarding position.

I didn't say I would want to coach a very small program over someone like Kansas or Kentucky, that would be stupid.  But yes, I would rather coach Stanford, Illinois, Texas, etc.. places that have very good programs but need to take the next step.  If you read my post I very clearly said I would rather have a very good program then one considered elite because it would be a much more rewarding position.

:banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead

are you training for law school???

So obviously you hate Weber "the deserter" also, right?

Ummm...where did I say I hate Bill Self again? Hate is a pretty strong word. And there is a pretty big difference between leaving a school like Illinois and leaving a school like Southern Illinois.

Fans of smaller "Mid-Major" schools don't expect a coach to be around for the long haul, they are used as stepping stones. If it hadn't have been Illinois it would have been someone else who ended up with Weber. But when Bill says he is going to be there for the long haul, or whatever his quote was, Illinois fans trusted him and expected him to live up to his word.

Of course, Bill didn't think that the opportunity at Kansas would come up and if I were in his shoes, I would have probably done the same thing. It was his dream job and anyone who says they would pass up the job they have always dreamed of for something more "challenging" is kidding themselves.

http://iuhoosiers.com/mensbasketball/news/...bk10-27-04.html

Wright Earns Big Ten Preseason Honor

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. - Indiana junior guard Bracey Wright has been chosen to the 2004-05 Preseason All-Big Ten team as selected by the media, the league office announced on Wednesday.

Last season, Wright was an NABC First Team All-District 10 and Second Team All-Big Ten honoree, averaging 18.5 points, 5.4 boards and 2.4 assists per contest. He was also named as a finalist for both The Rupp Award and The Naismith Award, each recognizing the nation’s most outstanding player. The Colony, Texas, native closed the season ranked third in the league in scoring at 18.5 ppg, the best finish by a Hoosier since Kirk Haston was second in 2000-01. He also ranked 16th in the league in rebounding (5.4), ninth in free throw percentage (.789) and third in three-point field goals per game (2.41).

In addition, Wright scored at least 20 points 12 times as a sophomore and hit the 25-point plateau on seven separate occasions. He earned three Big Ten Player of the Week honors (Dec. 15, 2003, Jan. 5, 2004 and Jan. 26, 2004) and earned five in his career, joining Glen Robinson as the only players in league history to earn at least five Player of the Week honors in their first two seasons.

Over the summer, Wright competed with the USA World Championship For Young Men Qualifying Team, which defeated Puerto Rico, 97-86, in the gold medal contest in the 2004 FIBA Americas World Championship For Young Men Qualifying Tournament in Halifax, Nova Scotia. Wright averaged 5.5 points per game during the tournament.

Joining Wright on the preseason team are guards Dee Brown (Illinois) and Deron Williams (Illinois), forward Mike Wilkinson (Wisconsin) and center Paul Davis (Michigan State). Williams was also tabbed the Big Ten preaseason Player of the Year

The Hoosiers will tip off the 2004-05 campaign with two home exhibition games against Division II foe Bellarmine (Thursday, Nov. 4) and SIU-Edwardsville (Friday, Nov. 12). Both exhibition games will be at 8 p.m . and can be heard on the statewide network as well as the official IU Athletics website, http://iuhoosiers.com/iuradionetwork.html.

Indiana will showcase the team in an intrasquad scrimmage game on Saturday, Oct. 30, at 4:30 p.m. Admission will be free for the public.

2004-05 Big Ten Preseason All-Conference Team

Bracey Wright, IND, JR, G (18.5 ppg, 5.4 rpg, 2.4 apg)

Dee Brown, ILL, JR, G (13.3 ppg, 4.45 apg, 1.55 spg, 2.26 A/TO ratio)

Paul Davis, MSU, JR, C (15.8 ppg, 6.2 rpg, .568 FG pct.)

Mike Wilkinson, WIS, SR, F (13.1 ppg, 6.8 rpg, 1.62 spg, 1.28 bpg)

Deron Williams, ILL, JR, G (14.0 ppg, 6.17 apg, 1.03 spg, 2.47 A/TO ratio)

2004-05 Big Ten Preseason Player of the Year

Deron Williams, ILL

I didn't say I would want to coach a very small program over someone like Kansas or Kentucky, that would be stupid.  But yes, I would rather coach Stanford, Illinois, Texas, etc.. places that have very good programs but need to take the next step.  If you read my post I very clearly said I would rather have a very good program then one considered elite because it would be a much more rewarding position.

I just want to say i love the addition to your signature. :wub:

Posting my top 25 again now that I finished it (Wisconsin moved down a couple slots do to Boo Wade taking a leave of absence and yes I have a man crush on Julius Hodge, the guy is an amazing college basketball player)

1. Georgia Tech-Last years runner up, returns star PG Jarret Jack, explosive guard Will Bynum, as well as leading scorer BJ Elder. They still have Ismail Muhammed who is one of the best athletes in the country as well as Luke Schenscher who is one of the premier centers in the country. They also brought in a nice class of freshman Question mark: Besides Schenscher do they have the inside presence necessary to win the title?

2. Illinois-Along with Wake Forest has arguably the best backcourt in America with Dee Brown and Deron Williams. Luther Head is as good as any third guard in America and should barring another incident finally find consistency this year. James Augustine is one of the more talented big men in the country and Roger Powell is an effective scorer from the PF position. Also, quality depth with the likes of Nick Smith, Jack Ingram, and Richard McBride returning. Illinois returns everyone except for Jerrance Howard from their Sweet 16 team last year. Question Mark: Can the Illini score and defend the post on a consitent enough basis?

3. Wake Forest-Justin Gray and Chris Paul together are one of the best backcourts in the country. Jamaal Levy provides a very good athlete and versatile defender at the SF position. Eric Williams if he can stay healthy is as good as any big man in the country. If Wake Forest has a healthy Vytas Danelius they may have the best team in the country. December 1st the Deacons had to the Assembly Hall to play Illinois. Question Mark: Can this team stop anyone? Theres no question they can put the ball in the basket but you have to play D to win it all.

4. Kansas- Returns the best big man in the country in Wayne Simien. The backcourt of Aaron Miles and Keith Langford is a good one and these three seniors are going to go out with a bang. JR Giddens is a great shooter and athlete and gives Kansas their deep threat. Just like the previous three teams on this list they are very capable of winning it all. Brought in one of the best recruiting classes in the country Question Mark: Who is going to step into the other big position vacated by transfer David Padgett and graduate Jeff Graves?

5. Syracuse- Hakim Warrick may be the best player in the country this year. He is one of the few players in college basketball capable of taking complete control of the game. Guard Gerry McNamara is as explosive of a scorer as you will find in college basketball. They will get a huge boost if Billy Edelin can make the grades and join the team. Supporting cast is solid but hardly spectacular Question mark? Can the supporting cast do enough to help their Warrick and McNamara get to the promised land?

6. UNC-Perhaps the most talented team in the country. Sean May, Rashad McCants, and Raymond Felton are as good as any trio in the country. Jawad Williams had a great year last year and he and super FR Marvin Williams should give UNC perhaps the best starting lineup in the country this year. Qustion mark: Will chemistry be a problem and will they have enough depth to overcome possible injuries or foul trouble?

7. Oklahoma St.- Final 4 participant last year. Lost star guard Tony Allen but Oklahoma St. still has the horses to make another run. PG John Lucas is a great clutch player who makes this team go. Also returning are Joey Graham, Ivan McFarlin, and Daniel Bobik. The core of this team is very tough nosed and they've been there before, question is can they do it again. Queston Mark? Can troubled freshman Jameson Curry help to makeup for the loss of Tony Allen?

8. UCONN- One of the more intriguing teams in the country. Frontcourt of Josh Boone and Charlie Villanueva should be as good as any in the country. Rashad Anderson and Denham Brown are both very good shooters who can get very hot in a hurry. Freshman Rudy Gay could be the key to a final four run. Hes a tremendous talent who UCONN will need to have a big year to make a repeat run to the final four. Question Mark: With the uncertain status of AJ Price, who will run the show for UCONN?

9. Mississippi State- I have them this high for one reason and one reason alone: Lawrence Roberts. The guys is a tremendous inside force and was a first team all american last year. The supporting cast is a bit weak but Lawrence Roberts should be able to carry this team to a great performance in the SEC. Question Marks? If Roberts has an off night do they have enough around him to beat other good teams?

10. Arizona-Returns Mustafa Shakur, Salim Stoudamire, Channing Frye, and Hassan Adams as key contributors from last year. Arizona is extemely athletic and explosive but weren't able to find any consitency last year. Arizona brought in a very talented freshman class led by Jawann McClellan. Question mark? Can they replace Andre Iguodala and finally find some consistency?

11. MSU- Returns nearly everyone from last years team. Paul Davis is one of the best big men in the Big 10 and should keep MSU in nearly every game this year. They have lots of depth on the wings in Chris Hill, Maurice Ager, Shannon Brown, Anderson, and Kelvin Torbert. They have two very good freshman coming in in the form of Marquise Gray and Drew Neitzel. Question Mark? Can Neitzel run the show and can Gray provide the inside toughness missing from MSU last year?

12. Duke- They may have lost Chris Duhon and Luol Deng to the pros (plus signee Shaun Livingston) but Duke as usual still is pretty loaded. Sheldin Williams and Shavlik Randolph give Duke a very solid front line. Sean Dockery will need to step up his role on offense and be able to run the show for Duke. JJ Redick gives Duke one of the streakiest shooters in the country, but when he is on he doesn't miss. Freshman Demarcus Nelson could be the key to this team. Question mark? Will Dockery be able to live up to the hype he had coming out of high school and be the PG Duke needs?

13. Kentucky-The Wildcats lost quite a bit of talent from last years squad. Key returners include Kelenna Azubuike and Chuck Hayes. What will determine this teams fate is transfer Patrick Sparks and the incoming freshman class that includes three McDonald's AA in Rajon Rondo, Joe Crawford, and Randolph Morris. Question Mark; Can the freshman live up to the hype?

14. Maryland-Maryland made a tremendous run through the ACC tourney last year earning this rank. The Terrapins are lead by PG John Gilchrist and Nik Cader Medley as well as a strong supporting cast including DJ Strawberry and Chris McCray. Question Mark: Can the Terrapins play consistent ball and show that their ACC tourney run last year was no fluke?

15. Louisville- Led by Francisco Garcia and Taquan Dean in the backcourt. Ellis Myles returns from injury in the frontcourt. Garcia is the reason that Louisville has a chance to turn some heads as he is one of the best players in America. Question Mark: Can the find a way to be consistent and can the frontcourt help out Dean and Garcia?

16. Pittsburgh-Key players for Pittsburgh are PG Carl Krauser and forward Chris Taft. Taft is the key guy for this team as he has the potential to be one of the best big men in the country this year. Question Mark: Do they have enough around Krauser and Taft to make some noise come tourney time?

17. Wisconsin- The Badgers lost one of the best players in the country from last year in Devin Harris. However, they may have the best all around front court in the country. With Mike Wilkinson the return of Alando Tucker, Brian Butch, and incoming freshman Greg Stiemsma the Badgers have no shortage of good big men and should compete for the Big 10 title. The backcourt will be this teams weakness as they have no real go to guy. Shariff Chambliss a transfer from Penn St. should be solid for the Badgers come Big 10 season if he can recover from surgery. Question Mark: Can the Badgers backcourt play at a high enough level to replace hide the loss of Devin Harris?

18. Texas- Texas is a very interesting team much like UCONN in that they lost a great deal of talent from last year. Luckily for Texas they brought in a terrific freshman class that will probably produce three starters in Lamarcus Aldridge ©, Daniel Gibson (PG), and Mike Williams (PF). Key returning contributor for Texas will be PJ Tucker. This team is one of the hardest to predict in the country. Question mark: Very simply, how will the freshman develop?

19. Alabama-Made the Elite 8 last year after upsetting Stanford in the second round. Kennedy Winston is their star player and they will need him to produce on a constant basis for them to attempt a repeat performance of last years run. Question mark: Which Alabama will show up, the one that made the elite 8 or the one that struggled all year before that run?

20. Washington- Team that is very exciting to watch play. Nate Robinson the 5-9 guard is one of the most explosive leapers in America and is very fun to watch. Washington returns nearly all key contributors from last years team. Question mark: Can they play any defense?

21. Notre Dame-Chris Thomas and Torin Francis form a very formidable 1-2 punch if healthy. Thomas is one of the more explosive but streaky scorers in America and Francis is one of the most talented big men in the Big East if not America. Surrounded by Dennis Lattimore, Chris Quinn, Colin Falls, and Jordan Cornette. Question marks: Defense as well as health

22. Michigan- A team that is an enigma. With Daniel Horton, Lester Abram, Brent Petway, Courtney Sims, and Dion Harris they have the talent to try to go after the Big 10s big 3 of Illinois, Michigan State, and Wisconsin but have not been able to produce on a consistent basis. Questionable coaching for this team as well. Question mark: Can they be consistent and live up to their ability?

23. Providence- Ryan Gomes is as good as any player in America and Providence showed a great deal of potential at times last year before fading down the stretch. Donnie McGrath is the Friars PG and he is a good one. Quetion mark: Is Gomes alone capable of leading this team to big things?

24. NC State-Two words: Julius Hodge. The best player returning in the ACC. Yes you heard me right, better than Rashad McCants, Sean May, JJ Redick, Chris Paul, and Jarret Jack. The guy is quite possibly the best all around player in the country and is the returning ACC player of the year. Question mark: Do they have the talent to go along with Hodge to make noise in the ACC?

25. Gonzaga-Ronny Turiaf and Adam Morrison give Gonzaga a very good frontline. Expect Morrison with increased playing time to step up and potentially put up 20 PPG. This team lost their star guard and does not appear to have a ready replacement. Question mark: Do they have the backcourt to be "cinderella" again come time for the big dance?

Edited by whitesoxfan99

Nice top 25 whitesoxfan99, I just have a few disagreements.

Eric Williams if he can stay healthy is as good as any big man in the country.

Gotta disagree there, even when he's healthy, his talent doesn't match his size yet, he mainly gets his points by sure size and will. At best he's the 3rd best big man in the ACC behind Sean May and Shelden Williams. But WF is loaded nonetheless.

Will chemistry be a problem and will they have enough depth to overcome possible injuries or foul trouble?

Again, I can promise you depth is the last issue with UNC this year, chemistry could possibly be a problem, but this is quite possibly the most depth UNC has seen in 10 years.

I like the analysis of Duke, but I think they are rated about 6-8 spots too high, they are the weakest Duke team since 1995.

I gotta disagree about Hodge being the best in the nation also. McCants is comparable numbers wise, but I won't go there due to homerism. Instead I will go with Hakim Warrick. Here are their numbers side by side with McCants just for kicks.

Julius Hodge 18.2 ppg 6.4 rpg 3.6 apg 1.39 spg .361 3 point %

Hakim Warrick 19.8 ppg 8.6 rpg 2.6 apg 1 spg .00 3 point %

Rashad McCants 20 ppg 4.5 rpg 2.2 apg 1.77 spg .410 3 point %

Basically McCants has the lead in scoring, 3 point %, and steals

Julius has the lead in assists

Hakim has the lead in rebounds

I can see your argument for Hodge, I gotta go with Hakim though. Overall, great job typing all of that and you are spot-on with most of your info.

Nice top 25 whitesoxfan99, I just have a few disagreements.

Gotta disagree there, even when he's healthy, his talent doesn't match his size yet, he mainly gets his points by sure size and will. At best he's the 3rd best big man in the ACC behind Sean May and Shelden Williams. But WF is loaded nonetheless.

Again, I can promise you depth is the last issue with UNC this year, chemistry could possibly be a problem, but this is quite possibly the most depth UNC has seen in 10 years.

I like the analysis of Duke, but I think they are rated about 6-8 spots too high, they are the weakest Duke team since 1995.

I gotta disagree about Hodge being the best in the nation also. McCants is comparable numbers wise, but I won't go there due to homerism. Instead I will go with Hakim Warrick. Here are their numbers side by side with McCants just for kicks.

Julius Hodge 18.2 ppg 6.4 rpg 3.6 apg 1.39 spg .361 3 point %

Hakim Warrick 19.8 ppg 8.6 rpg 2.6 apg 1 spg .00 3 point %

Rashad McCants 20 ppg 4.5 rpg 2.2 apg 1.77 spg .410 3 point %

Basically McCants has the lead in scoring, 3 point %, and steals

Julius has the lead in assists

Hakim has the lead in rebounds

I can see your argument for Hodge, I gotta go with Hakim though. Overall, great job typing all of that and you are spot-on with most of your info.

I forgot to add out of foul trouble but yes I did over state that and I would without question take Sean May, Wayne Simien, and Ryan Gomes over him. I don't think Shelden Williams is all that much better than Erik Williams though. He still is one of the better bigs in the country if he is healthy and stays out of foul trouble. I'm more intrigued by a healthy Danelius from WF anyways.

Like I said before, I very well could see UNC having a good deal of depth but they have to prove it on the floor. Depth was a big issue for them last year and the only sure thing UNC added was Marvin Williams. I like the intangibles that Jackie Manuel brings to the table and Scott is alright but every other player on the team hasn't proven a thing. And I know you hear good things about guys from scrimmages over the summer but so does every other team in the country. Right now UNC has a 7 man rotation that I like but I do think they need someone else to step up. My main problem is not overall depth but depth inside. And while it shouldn't be as big of a problem as last year with the addition of Marvin Williams, UNC is still very thing inside if anything were to happen to Sean May. Its a question that they have to answer, thats not something that I'm flat out saying will be a problem. I personally think Illinois' frontcourt will be fine this year but until they prove it it is a question mark.

If you look at my post I actually did say that both Hakim Warrick and Julius Hodge could be the best player in the country. I lean a little more towards Hodge as far as an all around player because his offensive game is more diverse but I think Warrick may be the better player. McCants is a great scorer but he just hasn't shown me the well rounded game that Hodge and Warrick have at this point in time.

Duke may be rated a little too high, but the problem is that I'm not really sold on any of the teams after them. Kentucky is relying a ton on freshman, Maryland played good basketball for a very short period of time last year, outside of Dean and Garcia I'm not all that impressed by UL, and the rest of the teams I just flat out feel aren't as talented as Duke

Basically, the teams I rated 1-6 I felt were interchangeable and after those at this point in time I see a drop off to the next tier.

Good points, as for UNC's depth, here are the guys that you know will give you solid minutes.

PG. Felton

SG. Manual

SF. McCants

PF. Marvin Williams

C. Sean May

off the bench: Jawad Williams, Melvin Scott, and David Noel.

Thats 8 for sure, you have a right ot be wary of Quentin Thomas, Wes Miller, Reyshawn Terry, Byron Sanders, and Damion Grant. But, you will just have to see for yourself.

As for Duke over Maryland, and Kentucky. Maryland is a talented team and Gilchrist is my darkhorse for ACC POY, watch out for them, Kentucky does have alot of freshmen, but in this day and age most teams are counting on freshmen. Randolph Morris is already one of the top 5 centers in the game as a freshmen, Rajon Rondo and Joe Crawford are absolute studs also, they could have a similar type impact that Felton, McCants, and May had their freshmen seasons, and they didn't have the other talent that Kentucky does around them.

Duke just has Dockery, Daniel Ewing, JJ Redick, Shavlik Randolph, and Shelden Williams as their starters, thats a very good starting lineup, but after that, freshmen Nelson and Lee Melchioni are their best bench players. Nelson is a good one, similar to McCants as a freshmen without the 3 point touch, but those two aren't going to scare anyone. Especially since Duke has to play in the ACC, which is quite possibly the most talented the league has EVER been.

I would have to put Notre Dame, Texas, Maryland, and Kentucky ahead of Duke at this point. Texas is just loaded again, even though its young talent, they will start off slow, but will be great again come Tourney time. Notre Dame is just solid with Thomas leading the show and Torin Francis down low, also Jordan Cornette, Dennis Latimore, and Chris Quinn will be solid contributors.

I don't know if I posted my top 25 yet, if I already did, I apoligize, if not, here it is.

1. Kansas Jayhawks

2. Wake Forest Demon Deacons

3. Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets

4. Syracuse Orangemen

5. North Carolina Tar Heels

6. Illinois Fighting Illini

7. Michigan State Spartans

8. Arizona Wildcats

9. Texas Longhorns

10. Maryland Terrapins

11. Kentucky Wildcats

12. Connecticut Huskies

13. Oklahoma State Cowboys

14. Wisconsin Badgers

15. Louisville Cardinals

16. Notre Dame Fighting Irish

17. Duke Blue Devils

18. Pittsburgh Panthers

19. Mississippi State Bulldogs

20. Michigan Wolverines

21. Cincinnati Bearcats

22. Memphis Tigers

23. Florida Gators

24. Stanford Cardinal

25. Washington Huskies

Posting my top 25 again now that I finished it (Wisconsin moved down a couple slots do to Boo Wade taking a leave of absence and yes I have a man crush on Julius Hodge, the guy is an amazing college basketball player)

1. Georgia Tech-Last years runner up, returns star PG Jarret Jack, explosive guard Will Bynum, as well as leading scorer BJ Elder. They still have Ismail Muhammed who is one of the best athletes in the country as well as Luke Schenscher who is one of the premier centers in the country. They also brought in a nice class of freshman Question mark: Besides Schenscher do they have the inside presence necessary to win the title?

2. Illinois-Along with Wake Forest has arguably the best backcourt in America with Dee Brown and Deron Williams. Luther Head is as good as any third guard in America and should barring another incident finally find consistency this year. James Augustine is one of the more talented big men in the country and Roger Powell is an effective scorer from the PF position. Also, quality depth with the likes of Nick Smith, Jack Ingram, and Richard McBride returning. Illinois returns everyone except for Jerrance Howard from their Sweet 16 team last year. Question Mark: Can the Illini score and defend the post on a consitent enough basis?

3. Wake Forest-Justin Gray and Chris Paul together are one of the best backcourts in the country. Jamaal Levy provides a very good athlete and versatile defender at the SF position. Eric Williams if he can stay healthy is as good as any big man in the country. If Wake Forest has a healthy Vytas Danelius they may have the best team in the country. December 1st the Deacons had to the Assembly Hall to play Illinois. Question Mark: Can this team stop anyone? Theres no question they can put the ball in the basket but you have to play D to win it all.

4. Kansas- Returns the best big man in the country in Wayne Simien. The backcourt of Aaron Miles and Ray Langford is a good one and these three seniors are going to go out with a bang. JR Giddens is a great shooter and athlete and gives Kansas their deep threat. Just like the previous three teams on this list they are very capable of winning it all. Brought in one of the best recruiting classes in the country Question Mark: Who is going to step into the other big position vacated by transfer David Padgett and graduate Jeff Graves?

5. Syracuse- Hakim Warrick may be the best player in the country this year. He is one of the few players in college basketball capable of taking complete control of the game. Guard Gerry McNamara is as explosive of a scorer as you will find in college basketball. They will get a huge boost if Billy Edelin can make the grades and join the team. Supporting cast is solid but hardly spectacular Question mark? Can the supporting cast do enough to help their Warrick and McNamara get to the promised land?

6. UNC-Perhaps the most talented team in the country. Sean May, Rashad McCants, and Raymond Felton are as good as any trio in the country. Jawad Williams had a great year last year and he and super FR Marvin Williams should give UNC perhaps the best starting lineup in the country this year. Qustion mark: Will chemistry be a problem and will they have enough depth to overcome possible injuries or foul trouble?

7. Oklahoma St.- Final 4 participant last year. Lost star guard Tony Allen but Oklahoma St. still has the horses to make another run. PG John Lucas is a great clutch player who makes this team go. Also returning are Joey Graham, Ivan McFarlin, and Daniel Bobik. The core of this team is very tough nosed and they've been there before, question is can they do it again. Queston Mark? Can troubled freshman Jameson Curry help to makeup for the loss of Tony Allen?

8. UCONN- One of the more intriguing teams in the country. Frontcourt of Josh Boone and Charlie Villanueva should be as good as any in the country. Rashad Anderson and Denham Brown are both very good shooters who can get very hot in a hurry. Freshman Rudy Gay could be the key to a final four run. Hes a tremendous talent who UCONN will need to have a big year to make a repeat run to the final four. Question Mark: With the uncertain status of AJ Price, who will run the show for UCONN?

9. Mississippi State- I have them this high for one reason and one reason alone: Lawrence Roberts. The guys is a tremendous inside force and was a first team all american last year. The supporting cast is a bit weak but Lawrence Roberts should be able to carry this team to a great performance in the SEC. Question Marks? If Roberts has an off night do they have enough around him to beat other good teams?

10. Arizona-Returns Mustafa Shakur, Salim Stoudamire, Channing Frye, and Hassan Adams as key contributors from last year. Arizona is extemely athletic and explosive but weren't able to find any consitency last year. Arizona brought in a very talented freshman class led by Jawann McClellan. Question mark? Can they replace Andre Iguodala and finally find some consistency?

11. MSU- Returns nearly everyone from last years team. Paul Davis is one of the best big men in the Big 10 and should keep MSU in nearly every game this year. They have lots of depth on the wings in Chris Hill, Maurice Ager, Shannon Brown, Anderson, and Kelvin Torbert. They have two very good freshman coming in in the form of Marquise Gray and Drew Neitzel. Question Mark? Can Neitzel run the show and can Gray provide the inside toughness missing from MSU last year?

12. Duke- They may have lost Chris Duhon and Luol Deng to the pros (plus signee Shaun Livingston) but Duke as usual still is pretty loaded. Sheldin Williams and Shavlik Randolph give Duke a very solid front line. Sean Dockery will need to step up his role on offense and be able to run the show for Duke. JJ Redick gives Duke one of the streakiest shooters in the country, but when he is on he doesn't miss. Freshman Demarcus Nelson could be the key to this team. Question mark? Will Dockery be able to live up to the hype he had coming out of high school and be the PG Duke needs?

13. Kentucky-The Wildcats lost quite a bit of talent from last years squad. Key returners include Kelenna Azubuike and Chuck Hayes. What will determine this teams fate is transfer Patrick Sparks and the incoming freshman class that includes three McDonald's AA in Rajon Rondo, Joe Crawford, and Randolph Morris. Question Mark; Can the freshman live up to the hype?

14. Maryland-Maryland made a tremendous run through the ACC tourney last year earning this rank. The Terrapins are lead by PG John Gilchrist and Nik Cader Medley as well as a strong supporting cast including DJ Strawberry and Chris McCray. Question Mark: Can the Terrapins play consistent ball and show that their ACC tourney run last year was no fluke?

15. Louisville- Led by Francisco Garcia and Taquan Dean in the backcourt. Ellis Myles returns from injury in the frontcourt. Garcia is the reason that Louisville has a chance to turn some heads as he is one of the best players in America. Question Mark: Can the find a way to be consistent and can the frontcourt help out Dean and Garcia?

16. Pittsburgh-Key players for Pittsburgh are PG Carl Krauser and forward Chris Taft. Taft is the key guy for this team as he has the potential to be one of the best big men in the country this year. Question Mark: Do they have enough around Krauser and Taft to make some noise come tourney time?

17. Wisconsin- The Badgers lost one of the best players in the country from last year in Devin Harris. However, they may have the best all around front court in the country. With Mike Wilkinson the return of Alando Tucker, Brian Butch, and incoming freshman Greg Stiemsma the Badgers have no shortage of good big men and should compete for the Big 10 title. The backcourt will be this teams weakness as they have no real go to guy. Shariff Chambliss a transfer from Penn St. should be solid for the Badgers come Big 10 season if he can recover from surgery. Question Mark: Can the Badgers backcourt play at a high enough level to replace hide the loss of Devin Harris?

18. Texas- Texas is a very interesting team much like UCONN in that they lost a great deal of talent from last year. Luckily for Texas they brought in a terrific freshman class that will probably produce three starters in Lamarcus Aldridge ©, Daniel Gibson (PG), and Mike Williams (PF). Key returning contributor for Texas will be PJ Tucker. This team is one of the hardest to predict in the country. Question mark: Very simply, how will the freshman develop?

19. Alabama-Made the Elite 8 last year after upsetting Stanford in the second round. Kennedy Winston is their star player and they will need him to produce on a constant basis for them to attempt a repeat performance of last years run. Question mark: Which Alabama will show up, the one that made the elite 8 or the one that struggled all year before that run?

20. Washington- Team that is very exciting to watch play. Nate Robinson the 5-9 guard is one of the most explosive leapers in America and is very fun to watch. Washington returns nearly all key contributors from last years team. Question mark: Can they play any defense?

21. Notre Dame-Chris Thomas and Torin Francis form a very formidable 1-2 punch if healthy. Thomas is one of the more explosive but streaky scorers in America and Francis is one of the most talented big men in the Big East if not America. Surrounded by Dennis Lattimore, Chris Quinn, Colin Falls, and Jordan Cornette. Question marks: Defense as well as health

22. Michigan- A team that is an enigma. With Daniel Horton, Lester Abram, Brent Petway, Courtney Sims, and Dion Harris they have the talent to try to go after the Big 10s big 3 of Illinois, Michigan State, and Wisconsin but have not been able to produce on a consistent basis. Questionable coaching for this team as well. Question mark: Can they be consistent and live up to their ability?

23. Providence- Ryan Gomes is as good as any player in America and Providence showed a great deal of potential at times last year before fading down the stretch. Donnie McGrath is the Friars PG and he is a good one. Quetion mark: Is Gomes alone capable of leading this team to big things?

24. NC State-Two words: Julius Hodge. The best player returning in the ACC. Yes you heard me right, better than Rashad McCants, Sean May, JJ Redick, Chris Paul, and Jarret Jack. The guy is quite possibly the best all around player in the country and is the returning ACC player of the year. Question mark: Do they have the talent to go along with Hodge to make noise in the ACC?

25. Gonzaga-Ronny Turiaf and Adam Morrison give Gonzaga a very good frontline. Expect Morrison with increased playing time to step up and potentially put up 20 PPG. This team lost their star guard and does not appear to have a ready replacement. Question mark: Do they have the backcourt to be "cinderella" again come time for the big dance?

Who the f*** is ray langfor??? he is an all american candidate. Try the name KEITH.

Also, Padgett was a horrid player, and Graves only played half the year because of suspensions.

Do you want to know who will step up this year for the Center postiion here you go.

I will include their names and their ranking, and a nice link to their recruiting page.

Sasha Kaun

6"11 245 from Siberia, the number 5 Center in the nation.

http://kansas.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?...=2&pr_key=19342

CJ Giles(just named starting Center)

6"10 240, number 9 center in nation

http://kansas.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?...=2&pr_key=12311

Darrell Jacson(imagine Jeff Graves with his head screwed on straight.

6"9 245

http://kansas.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?...=2&pr_key=13410

Here is some cherry on top

Russell Robinson, the best player coming out of new york city.

#7 SG

http://kansas.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?...t=2&pr_key=6134

Alex Galidno(the sharpshooter)

#15 SF in nation

http://kansas.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?...=2&pr_key=15312

Do not forget the other players such as Michael Lee and Moolaye Niang. Oh and we have FOUR seniors with 2 final fours already under their belts.

That is a rotation of 5 big men, pretty sufficient if you ask me. Plus the fact they will be open most of the time, because Big Dub will draw the double teams.

Here is my top 10

1. Wake

2. KU

3. UNC(hurts to say)

4. Ok State

5. Mich State

6. GTech

7. Duke

8. Illinois

9. CUse

10. Ashley Judd's HO's

Who the f*** is ray langfor??? he is an all american candidate.  Try the name KEITH.

Also, Padgett was a horrid player, and Graves only played half the year because of suspensions.

Do you want to know who will step up this year for the Center postiion here you go.

I will include their names and their ranking, and a nice link to their recruiting page.

Sasha Kaun

6"11 245 from Siberia, the number 5 Center in the nation.

http://kansas.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?...=2&pr_key=19342

CJ Giles(just named starting Center)

6"10 240, number 9 center in nation

http://kansas.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?...=2&pr_key=12311

Darrell Jacson(imagine Jeff Graves with his head screwed on straight.

6"9 245

http://kansas.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?...=2&pr_key=13410

Here is some cherry on top

Russell Robinson, the best player coming out of new york city.

#7 SG

http://kansas.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?...t=2&pr_key=6134

Alex Galidno(the sharpshooter)

#15 SF in nation

http://kansas.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?...=2&pr_key=15312

Do not forget the other players such as Michael Lee and Moolaye Niang. Oh and we have FOUR seniors with 2 final fours already under their belts.

That is a rotation of 5 big men, pretty sufficient if you ask me.  Plus the fact they will be open most of the time, because Big Dub will draw the double teams.

Here is my top 10

1.  Wake

2.  KU

3.  UNC(hurts to say)

4.  Ok State

5.  Mich State

6.  GTech

7.  Duke

8.  Illinois

9.  CUse

10.  Ashley Judd's HO's

My bad on Keith Langford, I can't believe I put a baseball player in the starting backcourt for Kansas. The funny part about that is thats not even close to the first time I've called him Ray Langford and I can't figure out why I mess that up all the time. Anyways as for the big men I know what freshman they have coming in but the big men are still a question mark to they step out on to the floor.

And when you are going to make fun of me for calling the guy the wrong name you really should get the rest of the players from your own teams names right. Its not Darrell Jacson, its Darnell Jackson. :D

Edited by whitesoxfan99

Good points, as for UNC's depth, here are the guys that you know will give you solid minutes.

PG. Felton

SG. Manual

SF. McCants

PF. Marvin Williams

C. Sean May

off the bench: Jawad Williams, Melvin Scott, and David Noel.

Thats 8 for sure, you have a right ot be wary of Quentin Thomas, Wes Miller, Reyshawn Terry, Byron Sanders, and Damion Grant. But, you will just have to see for yourself.

As for Duke over Maryland, and Kentucky. Maryland is a talented team and Gilchrist is my darkhorse for ACC POY, watch out for them, Kentucky does have alot of freshmen, but in this day and age most teams are counting on freshmen. Randolph Morris is already one of the top 5 centers in the game as a freshmen, Rajon Rondo and Joe Crawford are absolute studs also, they could have a similar type impact that Felton, McCants, and May had their freshmen seasons, and they didn't have the other talent that Kentucky does around them.

Duke just has Dockery, Daniel Ewing, JJ Redick, Shavlik Randolph, and Shelden Williams as their starters, thats a very good starting lineup, but after that, freshmen Nelson and Lee Melchioni are their best bench players. Nelson is a good one, similar to McCants as a freshmen without the 3 point touch, but those two aren't going to scare anyone. Especially since Duke has to play in the ACC, which is quite possibly the most talented the league has EVER been.

I would have to put Notre Dame, Texas, Maryland, and Kentucky ahead of Duke at this point. Texas is just loaded again, even though its young talent, they will start off slow, but will be great again come Tourney time. Notre Dame is just solid with Thomas leading the show and Torin Francis down low, also Jordan Cornette, Dennis Latimore, and Chris Quinn will be solid contributors.

I don't know if I posted my top 25 yet, if I already did, I apoligize, if not, here it is.

1. Kansas Jayhawks

2. Wake Forest Demon Deacons

3. Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets

4. Syracuse Orangemen

5. North Carolina Tar Heels

6. Illinois Fighting Illini

7. Michigan State Spartans

8. Arizona Wildcats

9. Texas Longhorns

10. Maryland Terrapins

11. Kentucky Wildcats

12. Connecticut Huskies

13. Oklahoma State Cowboys

14. Wisconsin Badgers

15. Louisville Cardinals

16. Notre Dame Fighting Irish

17. Duke Blue Devils

18. Pittsburgh Panthers

19. Mississippi State Bulldogs

20. Michigan Wolverines

21. Cincinnati Bearcats

22. Memphis Tigers

23. Florida Gators

24. Stanford Cardinal

25. Washington Huskies

You've pretty much got me convinced UNC won't have depth problems. I want to see a little more out of David Noel and I would like to see another big step up and be able to give you guys some quality minutes but the more I look at it the more I think you are right about your depth.

Here is the reason I'm feeling confident about UNC's depth, its not about pickup games and all that, I used to believe all that hype, just like guys that were stars in college football spring games and never amounted to anything.

David Noel, has never been a shooter, but he's a 6'6 235 pounds SF that was forced to play PF due to is great strength and UNC's lack of big men, bench presses close to 400 pounds due to his football days, but that still doesn't help him with his shooting. What he can do is rebound, and get up and down the floor as good as any of our players, he like Jackie Manual, knows his role isn't to be a shooter, but a slasher that gets up and down the court and he will get his points.

Quentin Thomas, was the top ranked PG on the west coast, 6'4 with very nice handles and great defensively, his shot still needs some work, he earned the backup point guard spot over Wes Miller, who was on scholarship at a lower school but chose to transfer to UNC as a walk-on, he's a sharp shooter, but he's not the most athletic PG.

Byron Sanders, well, he's 6'9 230 pounds and he was akward his freshmen and sophomore years, but now he has bulked up and worked on his inside game, all they need him for is a few minutes and a few rebounds, he's athletic so he will be good in Roy's uptempo system that we will get to see in full gear this year with all of the depth. Damion Grant was a 6'11 enigma his freshmen and sophomore years, exactly what UNC needed in a big shot blocker that can run the floor, unfortunately his knees wouldn't allow him to play at all until this year when he finally could work out and shed about 20 pounds. It was a horrible cycle he was in, he was overweight so his knees didn't get better, his knees wouldn't get better because he was overweight, he finally got healthy this offseason.

Thats why I'm confident, none of them are stars now, but they are athletic and know their roles, on top of Roy finally being able to run his system all out due to depth and the team learing the system after a full year under Roy now. Experience is the problem now, can they go from winning 1 tourney game their entire career to winning it all? I'm hoping so. :pray

My bad on Keith Langford, I can't believe I put a baseball player in the starting backcourt for Kansas.  The funny part about that is thats not even close to the first time I've called him Ray Langford and I can't figure out why I mess that up all the time.  Anyways as for the big men I know what freshman they have coming in but the big men are still a question mark to they step out on to the floor. 

And when you are going to make fun of me for calling the guy the wrong name you really should get the rest of the players from your own teams names right.  Its not Darrell Jacson, its Darnell Jackson. :D

:lolhitting

Here is the reason I'm feeling confident about UNC's depth, its not about pickup games and all that, I used to believe all that hype, just like guys that were stars in college football spring games and never amounted to anything.

David Noel, has never been a shooter, but he's a 6'6 235 pounds SF that was forced to play PF due to is great strength and UNC's lack of big men, bench presses close to 400 pounds due to his football days, but that still doesn't help him with his shooting. What he can do is rebound, and get up and down the floor as good as any of our players, he like Jackie Manual, knows his role isn't to be a shooter, but a slasher that gets up and down the court and he will get his points.

Quentin Thomas, was the top ranked PG on the west coast, 6'4 with very nice handles and great defensively, his shot still needs some work, he earned the backup point guard spot over Wes Miller, who was on scholarship at a lower school but chose to transfer to UNC as a walk-on, he's a sharp shooter, but he's not the most athletic PG.

Byron Sanders, well, he's 6'9 230 pounds and he was akward his freshmen and sophomore years, but now he has bulked up and worked on his inside game, all they need him for is a few minutes and a few rebounds, he's athletic so he will be good in Roy's uptempo system that we will get to see in full gear this year with all of the depth. Damion Grant was a 6'11 enigma his freshmen and sophomore years, exactly what UNC needed in a big shot blocker that can run the floor, unfortunately his knees wouldn't allow him to play at all until this year when he finally could work out and shed about 20 pounds. It was a horrible cycle he was in, he was overweight so his knees didn't get better, his knees wouldn't get better because he was overweight, he finally got healthy this offseason.

Thats why I'm confident, none of them are stars now, but they are athletic and know their roles, on top of Roy finally being able to run his system all out due to depth and the team learing the system after a full year under Roy now. Experience is the problem now, can they go from winning 1 tourney game their entire career to winning it all? I'm hoping so.  :pray

don't count on it.

Roy is a choker, just call him Larussa.

The man lost a chance to win with a team of Pierce/Lafrentz/Vaughn/Pollard.