*Official* College Basketball Thread

I would like for the Illini to be ranked #1, but I'm not going to start fretting so much that I'll root for the other Big Ten teams.  Thankfully College Basketball is NOT like College Football because a tournament decides the national championship game.  Now if the NCAA decided to use a BCS system to determine whom should play in the championship game, then I would root for every other Big Ten team in their games because I would like the Big Ten to appear to be the toughest division in the country.

Sorry.  I just don't give a s*** about Purdue unless they are playing the Illini.

I'm not asking you to give a s*** about Purdue. I even said Purdue wasn't the issue, but you seem to be stuck on them.

You're entitled to your opinion, but I think most people would agree that a victory in the challenge would go a long way for the Big Ten.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not asking you to give a s*** about Purdue.  I even said Purdue wasn't the issue, but you seem to be stuck on them. 

You're entitled to your opinion, but I think most people would agree that a victory in the challenge would go a long way for the Big Ten.

Even though I am an IU fan and have it in my birth contract to hate Purdue, I am with you on this one. I have even softened a bit toward Purdue in my old age, but can't consider myself a fan. That said, I do find myself rooting for them when they are playing out of conference.

I think you put it very well. Most people I know root for their conference, their home town teams that aren't their own (i.e. HS playoffs), etc. when they are playing against outside competition.

I know I used to root for Purdue and Kentucky to go 0-30 every year (another unfulfilled dream.. sigh), but now only save the hatred for UK. If Purdue can help earn some respect for the Big Ten - a league that needs some respect right now - then I am all for it.

I give Purdue credit for just staying in the game last night and not embarrassing the Big Ten.

I always cheer for Big Ten teams outside of when they play Illinois. I don't see what you have to gain by cheering against them against other conferences. But I'm not going to try and convince anyone of what teams to cheer for. All I can say is I'll be cheering for all 8 Big Ten teams these next two nights and hopefully, although unlikely, the Big Ten will win this challenge for the first time. The conference is getting no respect and to lose these games would give the media even more reason to bash the Big Ten. I would consider 4 wins to be somewhat of a victory this year, as long as we show that we can hang with the big, bad ACC I'll be happy.

In other news, ISU plays UIC tonight and I'll be at what will hopefully be a good game with a good crowd to show their support for the 4-1 Redbirds.

Even though I am an IU fan and have it in my birth contract to hate Purdue, I am with you on this one.  I have even softened a bit toward Purdue in my old age, but can't consider myself a fan.  That said, I do find myself rooting for them when they are playing out of conference. 

I think you put it very well.  Most people I know root for their conference, their home town teams that aren't their own (i.e. HS playoffs), etc. when they are playing against outside competition.

I know I used to root for Purdue and Kentucky to go 0-30 every year (another unfulfilled dream.. sigh), but now only save the hatred for UK.  If Purdue can help earn some respect for the Big Ten - a league that needs some respect right now - then I am all for it.

Yeah, I'm only 6-7 months removed from Purdue and I already find my 'hatred' for IU and ND lessening. I grew up a ND fan, so now I usually just cheer against them when they play Purdue. People like greasywheels, who actually look at their school objectively make it easier to like IU.

To the people that said you don't root for conferences, are you happy with the way we're perceived? I know I'm not. I'd like to be looked at the way the ACC and the Big East are now.

1) Michigan at Georgia Tech (Tues., ESPN 7 ET): Who wins?

77.9% Georgia Tech

22.1% Michigan

2) Florida State at Minnesota (Tues., ESPN2, 7:30 ET): Who wins?

62.3% Minnesota

37.7% Florida State

3) Michigan State at Duke (Tues., ESPN, 9 ET): Who wins?

56.9% Duke

43.1% Michigan State

4) Maryland at Wisconsin (Tues., ESPN2, 9:30 ET): Who wins?

60.6% Maryland

39.4% Wisconsin

5) Wake Forest at Illinois (Wed., ESPN, 7 ET): Who wins?

53.4% Illinois

46.6% Wake Forest

6) Ohio State at Clemson (Wed., ESPN2, 7:30 ET): Who wins?

54.1% Ohio State

45.9% Clemson

7) North Carolina at Indiana (Wed., ESPN, 9 ET): Who wins?

86.8% North Carolina

13.2% Indiana

8) Virginia at Northwestern (Wed., ESPN2, 9:30 ET): Who wins?

82.0% Virginia

18.0% Northwestern

Total Votes: 47,846

Don't be so sure yet, Mich State has much better depth than Duke and could wear them out in the 2nd. They just have to knock JJ around some, way to easy for him.

Great, my Directv satelite isnt getting a signal because of the snow! Dammit!!! Come on Spartans + Badgers. Let's not get swept here!

Wiscy up 38-32 at the half...

58-52 Duke....

Im feeling a buzzer beater for the Spartans tonight, perhaps Chris Hill for 3 to win it. Anyone know how Brian Butch has played so far with the Badgers? I see he only has a couple of minutes in the box score, are they just getting him adjusted right now before throwing him to the wolves?