*Official* College Basketball Thread

QUOTE(AssHatSoxFan @ Jan 31, 2005 -> 11:44 PM)
next tuesday they play at michigan so im hoping he would go to ann arbor to watch that game at the chrisler center

Oops, I thought he was talking about tomorrow night. My bad.

D*psh*t von N00benstein checking out for now.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.hawkcentral.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...1003/1053/HAWKS

West Des Moines police and Dallas County authorities are investigating a burglary involving Iowa basketball player Pierre Pierce, and officials said they expect to decide whether to file charges as soon as Tuesday.

Pierce is not named as a suspect in police reports, and West Des Moines police Lt. Jeff Miller said it is “too soon to say” if any charges will be filed in the case.

“I can tell you that this is an ongoing investigation,” Miller said Monday when asked to what extent he could discuss the Pierre Pierce case. “If (charges) are filed, it will be at the earliest tomorrow.”

Authorities provided few specifics, but Miller said they expect to make “a quite detailed press release” about the case today. While the Police Department provided a four-paged incident report of the burglary in response to inquiries about Pierce, Miller later declined to identify him as the suspect.

“I have been in touch with the West Des Moines authorities on behalf of Mr. Pierce,” said Des Moines lawyer Alfredo Parrish, who was out of state Monday night. “He believes there was a misunderstanding between himself and this woman with whom he’s had a relationship for two-and-a-half years.

“I’ve made arrangements for him to give a statement to the West Des Moines Police Department when I get back in town.”

The incident was reported to police Friday and dates from Thursday night or Friday morning at a West Des Moines residence. The incident report lists only a male offender and female victim, ages 18 or older.

Pierce, a 21-year-old guard from Westmont, Ill., practiced with the team Monday, and Iowa athletic officials declined comment on the matter. Pierce did not immediately respond to a message left at his Iowa City apartment. Evidence and photos were taken at the West Des Moines residence, the police report shows.

Possible charges listed in the report are first-degree burglary, false imprisonment, criminal mischief and assault with intent to commit injury. Miller would not elaborate and said those are not necessarily the charges authorities are considering but only what the officer wrote down at the scene.

When asked about Pierce, Dallas County Attorney Wayne Reisetter responded: “I don’t talk about cases that are under investigation.”

The police report also lists $1,300 in property damage or losses of “numerous household items, television, stereo, photos, bedroom furniture.” According to the report, there was no forced entry into the residence but the relationship with the unnamed woman is not provided. Parrish said the woman spent the previous weekend with Pierce in Iowa City.

“We don’t want to comment on the incident at all,” Parrish said. “We’re going to give a full statement and full disclosure. ... I’m sure the factual details will be disclosed later, but I think the fact they’ve had a 2½-year relationship should give folks a perspective on what happened.”

In November 2002, Pierce pleaded guilty to assault causing injury, a serious misdemeanor, as part of a plea agreement to resolve a felony sexual abuse case against him. He received a deferred judgement, so the matter was erased from his record after he completed one year of supervised probation, underwent counseling and completed 200 hours of community service.

Real quick, back to Weber and recruiting. Remember, this is a guy who took SIU to 3 tournaments. And they weren't a 16 seed. Weber knows how to coach. He knows how to get kids to buy into his system. And his system works. If he can keep getting players in the 3 star range, this team will always be dangerous. I think Deron might come back next year. he's still in the low first round - high second round right now. Yes, Illinois loses Head (will be replaced by McBride), Powell (replaced by Warren Carter), Ingram and Smith (replaced by Marcus Arnold). Plus, we get Brian Randle back, Pruitt for a second year, Augustine, Calvin Brock and whatever freshmen play. i still think this team is 2nd or 3rd in the Big Ten next year just based on coaching.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Feb 1, 2005 -> 04:43 PM)
I don't think anyone is doubting his coaching abilities. But you still need some great talent to win big ten championships.

I disagree...while they didn't win it outright all three years, Wisconsin didn't have the talent. They had Devin Harris and a bunch of other good role players. Bo Ryan is a great system coach. they buy into it and they win. Talent helps, but it's not the end-all, be-all.

Never said it was the be all end all. But you just mentioned Devin Harris. The guy was STUD. Williams, Head, Brown = Studs. I'd like to see him win a big ten championship with a backcourt comprised of mcbride and brock. Won't happen. I'd rather have a good coach than a good recruiter if pressed, but i will still stand by the fact that you still need talent to win. Weber is a GREAT coach. But he still needs the help in the recruiting aspect.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Jan 31, 2005 -> 08:45 PM)
He backed down when I wanted to bet him with those odds.

well first off I explained why I said Illini by 16 and never did I say I would bet you that.. so did I back down, no

I also said see what the real odds are and ill bet you then, but instead you wanna come on here and act hard and be like "uhhh well MoS shut up now, uhh, MoS backed down blah blah blah"

QUOTE(TheDybber @ Feb 1, 2005 -> 03:58 PM)
Real quick, back to Weber and recruiting.  Remember, this is a guy who took SIU to 3 tournaments.  And they weren't a 16 seed.  Weber knows how to coach.  He knows how to get kids to buy into his system.  And his system works.  If he can keep getting players in the 3 star range, this team will always be dangerous.  I think Deron might come back next year.  he's still in the low first round - high second round right now.  Yes, Illinois loses Head (will be replaced by McBride), Powell (replaced by Warren Carter), Ingram and Smith (replaced by Marcus Arnold).  Plus, we get Brian Randle back, Pruitt for a second year, Augustine, Calvin Brock and whatever freshmen play.  i still think this team is 2nd or 3rd in the Big Ten next year just based on coaching.

You might find a few hidden gems in the lower levels like Devin Harris and Alando Tucker, but if you take a look at the elite players around the country a large number of them were very good recruits. I don't think anyone can consistently win major conferences with 3-star recruits (by the way, McBride, Randle, Carter and Pruitt were top 100 recruits, who were probably recruited by both Self and Webber. They desperately need those guys to step up). Think of the great coaches and they had monster players. Wooden had Alcindor and Walton plus a parade of other All-Americans, Dean Smith had Jordan, Perkins, and Worthy among others, Knight had Thomas and May, and we know the caliber of players that Coach K gets. You don't dominate consistently without star players. The same is going to be true in our conference. MSU(Davis, Torbert, and Brown were all McDonald's All-Americans and Ager, Nietzel, Grey and Rowley were all good recruits) and Wisconsin(Butch is McD's, Steitsma is solid, Krabbenhoft might be McD's) have been getting pretty good players the last couple of years, and Michigan(Horton and Harris McD's, Sims excellent and Coleman pretty good) and Indiana(Wright and White McD's, Strickland and Vaden top 50, Hardy pretty good too) have done better than the Illini the last couple of years. Williams and Brown are the two guys powering this run, before that it was Williams and Cook. 3 of those guys were McDonald's All-Americans and Williams was top 50. You might sneek out a couple of decent years if McBride, Randle, Carter and Pruitt play like their rankings in support of whichever PG is back and Augustine, but unless he starts getting some studs, they're going to need some help when Brown and Williams go. Randle, Pruitt, and McBride are likely solid support guys, but I doubt any of them are good enough to carry the team like their predecessors. They certainly haven't shown it in their brief stints thus far. Hopefully the program will start recruiting for itself, because Webber can't seem to keep the studs (Livingston, Wright, Shannon Brown) in state at this point and isn't exactly killing outside of Illinois.