*Official* College Basketball Thread

Great article on how horrible weber is at recruiting:

http://www.cbs.sportsline.com/collegebaske...l/story/8243060

A number one team and big-time recruits still aren't interested? He does deserve credit for doing what he's doing with self's recruits, but it's not looking too good after this year. This is the year for them to win it all...

Good luck. If they play like thay have been, I can't see anybody beating them. If not...

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Mar 4, 2005 -> 02:14 AM)
Great article on how horrible weber is at recruiting:

http://www.cbs.sportsline.com/collegebaske...l/story/8243060

A number one team and big-time recruits still aren't interested?  He does deserve credit for doing what he's doing with self's recruits, but it's not looking too good after this year.  This is the year for them to win it all...

Good luck.  If they play like thay have been, I can't see anybody beating them.  If not...

After this year if we get to at least the elite 8 which i believe we will the recruits will start to come.

http://www.indystar.com/articles/8/226747-6508-036.html

OK, 15 victories -- and this assumes a victory Saturday over Northwestern -- is a pretty paltry number. But again, since the Big Ten went to the 16-game schedule, 27 of 28 teams with double-digit conference victories have reached the NCAA Tournament.

And don't tell me the Big Ten has a low Ratings Percentage Index (RPI). If it can rate the Pac-10 as the second-best conference in the nation, then "Napoleon Dynamite" should have received strong consideration for the Best Picture Oscar. The RPI has become college basketball's Bowl Championship Series (BCS). The more they tinker with the formula, the less sense it makes.

It seems to me it should come down to this: IU, with 10 conference wins, will play Minnesota, with 10 conference wins, in the first round of the conference tournament a week from today at Chicago's United Center.

Winner take all.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2004 @ Mar 3, 2005 -> 11:46 PM)
I remember he couldn't shoot a lick as a freshman.  I love it when young guys turn a weakness into a strength.

Luther's improvement with his jump shot is just as impressive. As a freshman he was good for the occasional dunk, but now he is a complete player. Weber might not be a good recruiter yet, but if this team is an example of players develop under him, Illinois will be just fine.

Illinois' lowly recruit Charles Jackson vs. McDonald's AA Korvotney Barber

Game 1 Jackson's team wins in a blowout

Jackson 28pts. 18rbs. 8blks. 6asts. 4fouls

Barber 15pts. 11rbs. 7blks. 3asts. 5fouls

Game 2 Barber's team wins a very close game

Jackson 27pts. 19rbs. 4blks. 7asts. 3fouls

Barber 19pts. 12rbs. 6blks. 5asts. 3fouls

Game 3 Barber's team wins in a blowout

Jackson 23pts. 16rbs. 3blks. 9asts. 4fouls

Barber 20pts. 15rbs. 7blks. 3asts. 3fouls

State vs. Dublin (common opponent)

Jackson 30pts. 22rbs. 6blks. 8asts. 3fouls

Barber 21pts. 15rbs. 5blks. ?asts. 5fouls

For the head to head meetings

Jackson 26 PPG 17.66 RPG 5 BPG 7.3 APG

Barber 18 PPG 12.66 RPG 6.66 BPG 3.66 APG

Edited by whitesoxfan99

Illinois' recruiting hasn't been very good in recent history, but at least according to Rivals, they're still in the running for Brandon Rush (#4, assuming he doesn't go pro) and Jamont Gordon (#15). Either of those guys could make a major impact.

On further analysis, Gordon apparently is no longer considering Illinois. Guess they are down to hoping to Rush. Oops, probably going to have to wait until next year.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

It seems to me it should come down to this: IU, with 10 conference wins, will play Minnesota, with 10 conference wins, in the first round of the conference tournament a week from today at Chicago's United Center.

Winner take all.

If it's Minnesota, fine, even if the Gophers played more nonconference games than IU and played against teams with a far lower winning percentage.

If it's IU, fine, because a 16-win team is not without precedent in the NCAA Tournament, and I refuse to believe the Big Ten will get only three teams into the tournament for a second straight year.

I refuse to believe that a 20-win team with 10 wins in the Big Ten will get left out of the Tourney. I refer to, of course, Minnesota. IU is probably playing better than the Gophers right now, but even if IU wins in Chicago next Friday, Minnesota will be playing in the Dance.

Yes, they played an absurdly easy non-confrence schedule. Yes, they have two bad home losses (Northwestern and Florida State). Yes, they only played Wisconsin and Illinois once. These things I know. But they beat IU and Wisconsin(both at home, I will grant you) and hung tough against 'Bama in Alaska.

IU fans are justifably upset about the Charlotte game, and they're doubtlessly saying "If only a couple of shots went our way... ." But that's true of most teams who are on the bubble. Minnesota is two opponents' misses from being 23-7 (11-5). Of course, they're two opponents' makes from being 18-11 (8-8). That's the way basketball is, why it's such a great game. That's why those of us who are fanatics can justify the expense in time, sweat and dollars.

Saw Richard Hendrix play today palhosefan......

He didn't play real well, but still had 14 points, 6-8 rebounds, several blocks and a handful of assists. He got into foul trouble and sat out most of the 3rd quarter and fouled out with about 4 minutes left. His team went from 6 down when he fouled out to losing by 15. He has nice soft hands. Took (and missed) a couple of threes. Not sure he should be shooting those right now.

He is huge though. Very chiseled and well built. He as a man among boys in terms of size out there.

QUOTE(AssHatSoxFan @ Mar 5, 2005 -> 02:02 PM)
louisville's defense is either that good or depauls offense is just terrible because diener couldnt get any shots, it also didnt help that everyone picked up their dribble really quickly

I can answer that. The DePaul offense sucks, as does every other facet of their game....

Diener is a jump-shooter, yet he feels the need to attempt to create his own shot. I guess Leitao hasn't told him he's slow...

One of the problems is that Diener needs open looks. He rarely gets them, accept off of screens, which we do alot, because there is little to no dribble penetration or a post presence.

The team tends to stand around and pass up top from side to side with a couple of screens. Very little cutting...

Between Q and Diener forcing up shots, this team is a disappointment. Nobody is clutch in that offense.

Northern Iowa lost to SW Missouri St. 70-62 in the first round of the MVC Tournament. That hurts their at-large chances big time.

Good wins: Iowa State, Southern Illinois, Wichita State

Bad losses: Evansville, Bradley, Drake, SMS (conference tourney - bad timing)

"Good losses": 6 pts at Cincinnati, 3 points at Iowa

Final record: 21-10

NIT Bound if you ask me........

Edited by Rex Hudler

IU gets a nice, yet expected win today against Northwestern, finishing 15-12. I think a win against Minnesota on Friday, a respectable showing against Illinois and not too many mid-major conference tournament upsets will allow IU to squeeze in. Or so I hope........

Well Rashad it looks like is out for the Duke game also. Just makes it that much more interesting.

Rex, Northern Iowa's rpi is good and their sos is in the top 55, it should be really close as to whether they make it or not, I think they will. 21 wins with a top 35 rpi should be pretty safe in my opinion.