*Official* College Basketball Thread

Southern Illinois "handling" SMS right now, 42-20 with 4 minutes left in the first half.

Also, I had not heard this, but apparently SMS will be no more beginning next year. They will officially be called Missouri State University. Just what we needed, another freakin MSU!

Edited by Rex Hudler

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Mar 6, 2005 -> 09:16 PM)
Only way UNC takes over the overall 1 seed is if UNC wins the ACC tourney and Illini don't win the Big Ten tourney. Otherwise Illini have it locked up for sure, atleast they should.

I guess my point is, that I don't think there is any real difference between the # 1 overall seed and the #2.

If Kansas loses and then falls early in the Big 12 tourney, they lose there 2nd seeding as well. Which definately makes them a scary 3 seed.

5 point game for Mizzu with 7 seconds left and Mizzu has the ball. Count this as yet another upset. :cheers

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Mar 6, 2005 -> 01:16 PM)
Only way UNC takes over the overall 1 seed is if UNC wins the ACC tourney and Illini don't win the Big Ten tourney. Otherwise Illini have it locked up for sure, atleast they should.

Hey Chris, I have the game on mute and haven't been paying attention yet. But is McCants playing today or are they still holding him out?

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Mar 6, 2005 -> 01:17 PM)
I guess my point is, that I don't think there is any real difference between the # 1 overall seed and the #2.

Me either. Hell, sometimes the best team ends up somehow finding itself in the toughest bracket. You just never know.

Everything I have read said it would take a monster collapse by Illinois to lose their great tourney route, like losing 3 of their last 5 or something like that. Even assuming they lose in the Big Ten Tourney, they'll still only have two loses. As someone said, UNC making a monster run still wouldn't force them into Illinois' pod.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Mar 6, 2005 -> 01:19 PM)
Wow.  Illinois, Kentucky and Kansas all going down today. If this was 2 weekends from now, everybody's brackets would be screwed. LOL

You ain't kidding. Could you imagine, LOL. Its why this time of the year is so AWESOME. And when it ends, regular season baseball is on :headbang

QUOTE(danman31 @ Mar 6, 2005 -> 07:25 PM)
Southern also nabbed Josh Tabb from Carbondale HS who is supposed to be an intelligent, athletic, stud guard. They are recruiting well enough that they should be able to maintain their stay atop the Missouri Valley Conference for quite a while.

YOu guys are getting me excited for next year's team. We lose Brooks and Hairston, but with these two guys as freshmen, Shaw will be a sophmore, and tatum a junior, SIU should stay competitive...I hope.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Mar 6, 2005 -> 09:15 PM)
Southern Illinois "handling" SMS right now, 42-20 with 4 minutes left in the first half.

Also, I had not heard this, but apparently SMS will be no more beginning next year.  They will officially be called Missouri State University.  Just what we needed, another freakin MSU!

SIU can blow someone out in the 1st half, than comeback for the 2nd half and let anyone back into the game. Only up 13 now.

QUOTE(Brian @ Mar 6, 2005 -> 04:01 PM)
SIU can blow someone out in the 1st half, than comeback for the 2nd half and let anyone back into the game. Only up 13 now.

Bubble teams beware: SMS is within 2 in the final few minutes.

Also, with Kansas losing their 4th in 6 games the CBS analysts still had them as a #1 seed. I just don't see how you can be right-minded and still say something like that on national tv. Granted the rest of the field isn't doing all that well but when the committee looks at that 6-4 (at best) final 10 games they won't be leaning Kansas' way for a number 1.

Edited by danman31

SIU playing like they have never seen a zone before. Nobody trying to penetrate. Dribble outside for 30 secs and throw up junk shot. They do this every year. Lay an egg in the MVC tourney.

You hear that? It's the sound of someone's bubble popping. Southern loses. To be honest, it's hard to say Southern deserves a bid after that pathetic performance. They led by as much as 23 I think, led by 16 at half and blew it. They slept on SMS and f'd up. I don't mean to say SIU shouldn't make the tourney, but that is an embarrasing performance by the Salukis.