*Official* College Basketball Thread

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

UNC-Duke was an incredible game. I thought Duke had it, they played some great post D and hit some big outside shots, but Carolina just came up with some buckets inside when they needed them, even though they weren't playing their best game. It looked like Duke really missed Dockery, the ball handling was not as solid, and he's a better FT shooter than Nelson. Those missed free throws from him and Williams really hurt. They still look like they'll be a tough tourney out, as does UNC (although I'd feel a lot better about them if McCants gets back in the game).

Yeah it happens everytime they play, Duke stormed the court earlier in the year. UNC fans were long overdue for this, we have lost every other 5 points or less game we played this year. Duke has been dominating UNC lately, and UNC made an 11-0 run to end the game to win it. I almost hit my head on the ceiling jumping around so much, what an awesome feeling. Duke played a hell of a game and I thought for sure we lost when we were down 73-64.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Mar 6, 2005 -> 10:37 PM)
I don't mean to say SIU shouldn't make the tourney, but that is an embarrasing performance by the Salukis.

Gimme a break, they are in and maybe as high as an 8th seed. RPI is around 15, maybe even less.

How was I whooping it up on Illinois, I said they made a great run. Whatever.

Anyway, here's what i took from the game. Both teams desperately missed their two injured/sick players in different ways. UNC needed McCants' 3 pointers/jump shot and Duke needed Dockery's aggresive defense, quickness, and ball-handling skills. It was defenitely the most intense and physical game I've seen in a long long time. I think the officiating could have been better for both sides. It looked as if Nelson touched the ball out of bounce(even though I believe Ewing lost it on that posession) and UNC should not have been granted a timeout when nobody had posession of the ball.

As a Duke fan, I come out of it sad that we lost, but kind of happy with how we played. To go on the road and have the #2 team on their backs with 20 seconds left is pretty good. UNC was able to sneak one out, but both teams deserved to win it. I think Coach K should give this team a ton of rest before the ACC tournament and then I think we'll probably win it.

I was somewhat bewildered by what happened to Redick after he was on fire in the first half.

Gotta give it up to UNC and specifically Sean May, he was a monster out there and it was a complete joy to watch him and Williams go at it.

I'm out now, See ya Palehosefan in the Conference tournament championship!!!!!

GO DUKE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Down the stretch Sean May has been playing brilliant and because of that play I'm quite confident in UNC winning it all assuming they can get Rashard back.

May has been a best as of late and is really turning into a guy that I think will be a good player in the pro's. Although he may need to cut some fat and put it into muscle cause he does have a big body.

QUOTE(Soxnbears01 @ Feb 8, 2005 -> 08:02 PM)
last night i dreamt we lost to THEE ohio state in champaign.

I woke up freaking out.

scary huh?

:headshake :puke

just got back from the game.

:angry:

Edited by Soxnbears01

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Mar 6, 2005 -> 03:11 PM)
Let's take a look at this from another angle and compare ONLY Indiana and Minnesota, who most experts feel is in already.

Minnesota is 20-9 and Indiana is 15-12.  Both have the same Big 10 record and split their two games, both winning at home.

Minnesota beat the following non-conference teams....

Lipscomb

Furman - common opponent with IU

Holy Cross - solid team that should be in the Big Dance

Nebraska

Central Michigan

Chicago State

St. Francis PA

NC Greensboro

Coppin State

Loyola Marymount

Combined record of 144-133

IU beat....

Indiana State

Western Illinois

Ball State

Oral Roberts - compare to Holy Cross

Furman

Combined record 77-68

Their non-conference wins are pretty similar.  The biggest two differences between the two are:

1. Minnesota played two extra games (and against easy competition)

2. Minnesota played and lost to Alabama and Oklahoma who are both very good teams.  They lost to Florida State who is 11-18.

Indiana played two less games than Minnesota.  They lost to UNC, UConn, Kentucky, Notre Dame, Charlotte and Missouri. 

I can't for the life of me compare those two schedules and figure how Minnesota has a "better resume" other than the fact they have more wins by playing lesser competition and two extra games.

I can't see a team being rewarded for beating Chicago St, Lipscomb and Coppin St over a team that played Charlotte, Kentucky, Notre Dame, UConn and UNC.  Is beating Coppin State better than losing by six at UCONN?  I certainly don't think so.  In fact, I would consider both teams to be about as even as they can be, considering they had different types of schedules.

From a Minnesota fan: Rex is on the money. I still think IU has to beat Minnesota to be in, but the two teams are essentially even. I feel that IU is probably playing a little better than Minnesota right now, but it's close. The Hoosiers are more talented, but both teams have improved since December.

IU picked the wrong year to load up their schedule on tough opponents more than they usually do, and Minnesota picked the right year to schedule a couple more cupcakes than they usually do.

I'm just hoping that the Rodents don't throw up all over themselves next Friday.

NC State just got screwed. They get fouled shooting a three pointer with about 4 5 seconds to go and no call. Then Chris Paul takes it the length of the floor for the game winner despite the fact he should have been ejected for a sucker punch in the first half.

Edited by whitesoxfan99

Jason, Sean has packed on mostly muscle. He came into UNC at 265 pounds.

may.jpg

This year he's turned most of it into muscle and weighs 255 pounds.

202916.jpg

My only question about his pro future is his height. I've seen people that say he's 6'8 tops, and others say he's closer to 6'10. From seeing him standing next to other 6'9 players like Jawad Williams, Reyshawn Terry, and Marvin Williams, Sean looks to be the tallest of the bunch. I think he has a bright future, the fact that he's staying 4 years is just icing on the cake.

Caller on Mac, Jurko, & Harry in Chicago.

"UNC should be number one because they didn't lose to a nobody team."

Oh the irony! :lolhitting

And let's also ignore the fact that OSU would be a tourney team if not banned.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Mar 8, 2005 -> 12:36 AM)
Caller on Mac, Jurko, & Harry in Chicago.

"UNC should be number one because they didn't lose to a nobody team."

Oh the irony! :lolhitting

And let's also ignore the fact that OSU would be a tourney team if not banned.

Santa Clara, anybody?