*Official* College Basketball Thread

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First weekend loss my ass. One loss to OSU on the road wipes out what they did against probable #1 seed Wake, #4 seed Gonzaga and MSU, #6 Cincinnati and #7 seed Wisconsin? Who the hell is going to beat them on a neutral court that is going to be in the 8-9 game? Maryland? Georgia Tech? Please.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

Creighton wins so that should keep the MVC at two bids. It is possible that Wichita St or Northern Iowa could get a 3rd bid, but I don't see it happening.

Old Dominion also won, so the Colonial Athletic Association remains a one bid league for sure.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Mar 7, 2005 -> 08:47 PM)
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3296418/

I hope this b**** doesn't just hide when he is wrong.

This has become the norm from the sports media in this country. Make predictions that have little or no logic behind them and then hope that you are right. If they are right they toot their own horn and say how great they are. If they are wrong they never bring it up again, there is no accountability at all.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Mar 7, 2005 -> 08:54 PM)
First weekend loss my ass. One loss to OSU on the road wipes out what they did against probable #1 seed Wake, #4 seed Gonzaga and Wake,  #6 Cincinnati and #7 seed Wisconsin? Who the hell is going to beat them on a neutral court that is going to be in the 8-9 game? Maryland? Georgia Tech? Please.

Not that I think Maryland or gtech would beat Illinois but both those teams could be pretty dangerous, imo. Maryland has to get in first :P

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Mar 7, 2005 -> 10:34 PM)
Not that I think Maryland or gtech would beat Illinois but both those teams could be pretty dangerous, imo.  Maryland has to get in first :P

Yeah, I think they are dangerous, but not to the Illini, and probably not to UNC.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 7, 2005 -> 11:30 PM)
This has become the norm from the sports media in this country.  Make predictions that have little or no logic behind them and then hope that you are right.  If they are right they toot their own horn and say how great they are.  If they are wrong they never bring it up again, there is no accountability at all.

Exactly. Mariotti was expecting all kinds of praise today on ATH. If all his predictions were true, you guys would be 0-30.

I just put together a custom TV schedule for myself on Friday, so I knew what games were on, at what time and on what station......

There are 28 freakin basketball games I can get on TV here on Friday, from 11a to 11p.

FREAKIN 28 GAMES

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Mar 8, 2005 -> 01:23 PM)
I just put together a custom TV schedule for myself on Friday, so I knew what games were on, at what time and on what station......

There are 28 freakin basketball games I can get on TV here on Friday, from 11a to 11p.

FREAKIN 28 GAMES

That's as close as it gets to heaven. I'm pumped up for the big tournaments to start. I see Gonzaga won and will once again be in the tournanment.

http://www.fortwayne.com/mld/newssentinel/...ts/11081971.htm

IU will get its Killingsworth next season

Auburn transfer is the most fearsome big man seen at Indiana in years.

Pete DiPrimio

BLOOMINGTON — Indiana’s Marco Killingsworth faces free-throw heat with a smile nearly as wide as 6-year-old Antoine Davis is tall. We estimate this while Davis throws jabs at Killingsworth’s back.

Killingsworth is 6-foot-7 and 265 well-muscled, well-tattooed pounds. Davis, the son of IU coach Mike Davis, is maybe 4 feet tall and 50 pounds, tattoo status unknown.

Killingsworth is shaved of head, fierce of temperament. Davis is curly haired of head, fearless of nature. He continues jabbing Killingsworth’s back, which has as much effect as a butterfly head-butting a tree. He chatters. He laughs.

Killingsworth stands at an Assembly Hall free-throw line with end-of-practice sprints at stake. If he makes it, nobody runs. If he misses, everybody does.

“Make it and practice is over,” Mike Davis says.

Killingsworth’s smile vanishes. He hushes Antoine with a finger to his lips, shoots and misses. He grabs the ball before its second bounce and hustles back to the line.

“If I make two in a row, it’s over,” he says.

Mike Davis smiles and concedes. Killingsworth swishes the next two, then lifts Antoine over his head, playfully threatening to stuff him in the basket.

Killingsworth Lesson No. 1 — Mess with him at your own risk.

Killingsworth is a big man and if you don’t believe it, you can read it on his “Big Man” tattoo, which is on his big left arm, which is just below the big scar on his left eyebrow.

He will immediately be the Big Ten’s best big man when he becomes eligible next season. Mark it down. Etch it in stone.

“He’s going to be a great player,” Mike Davis says. “He’s unbelievable. He dominates games in practice. His attitude is what you want. Whoever he’s playing with, he gets them to play hard.”

Killingsworth was a three-year terror at Auburn, earning all-Southeastern Conference honors his last two seasons. He averaged 13.6 points and 6.7 rebounds for those two years and twice led the SEC in shooting percentage. He left after coach Cliff Ellis was fired, knowing he would sit out this year because of NCAA rules, not knowing how difficult it would be.

“It’s killing me. I’ve been playing ball since I was 8. This is suffering. I wouldn’t wish this on anybody.”

Come next year, IU opponents will suffer.

“Since I’ve been here,” fifth-year senior forward Mike Roberts says, “I’ve guarded a lot of good players in practice — Kirk Haston (a first-round NBA draft pick), JJ (Jared Jeffries, an NBA lottery pick) and Newt (Jeff Newton, an all-conference player). Marco is the toughest.”

Killingsworth, it seems, plays to his name.

“Those other guys might kill you, but you knew how,” Roberts says. “Kirk would finesse you with shots. JJ couldn’t overpower you or outquick you, but he’d beat you with his length.

“With Marco, if you stop him from overpowering you, he’ll outquick you. If you prevent him from out-quicking you, he’ll bang you down.”

Killingsworth bangs from the moment he hits the practice court. He never takes a play off. That, Davis says, makes him unique among players he’s coached.

“I haven’t had a day where I’ve had to say, ‘Marco you didn’t play hard.’ Every day he’s a warrior. Every single day. He loves it.”

Love comes by nature.

“I go 100 percent every time I put on my shoes,” Killingsworth says. “That’s all I know. If you ain’t going hard, get out of the gym.”

Killingsworth Lesson No. 2 — Don’t tick him off.

“Whenever he gets mad,” Davis says, “he’ll say, ‘OK, somebody get ready to go see (trainer) Tim Garl.’ That means he’s getting ready to hurt somebody.”

Davis laughs.

“So I have to calm him down when he gets excited.”

Forward D.J. White bears the brunt of that practice excitement, and consequences include his own accelerated development (he’s the leading Big Ten freshman of the year candidate) and burning ears.

“If you relax,” White says, “he’ll score on you and you’ll hear it. If you’re tired, get a substitute or he’ll dunk on you and you’ll hear it. If you’re just in the area, he’ll dunk on you and then you’ll really hear it.”

And what is it you hear?

“Just that I love to win and I love to talk,” Killingsworth says. “It motivates me.”

Who are we to argue?

Killingsworth Lesson No. 3 — Expect to hear stories.

“He has a different story every day,” White says. “Whether it’s the truth or not, I don’t know.”

Take, for instance, Killingsworth’s tales of exploits against NBA players when they were in college or on the AAU circuit.

“I think Marco might know everybody in the NBA,” guard Rod Wilmont says. “He’ll be like, ‘Oh yeah, we played with this NBA guy. I might have gotten 15 to 20 points on him that game.’

“I’m like, man, you should be in the league already then.”

There are stories of conquest, stories of achievement, stories of people and experiences while growing up in Birmingham, Ala. They all, Killingsworth insists, relate to the moment.

“I tell stories because I’ve been through a lot. They really happen. I never lie.

“If I see something on the court, I’ll tell them about some experience I’ve had like it. They might think it’s funny, but it’s the truth, too.”

A frontcourt of Killingsworth, White and Australia super-recruit Ben Allen could help boost the Hoosiers to top-15 prominence next year.

NBA lure could spoil it, although Killingsworth insists he’ll play for IU next season. He says he picked the Hoosiers over the NBA last year to earn his degree and get a shot at NCAA glory.

“I can’t turn down a million dollars, but I think I’ll play here next year.”

And when he does, he says, look out.

“It’s going to be an explosion. I can say that.”

Doubt at your own risk.

IU is going to be a very good team next year, wouldn't be suprised to see them start out at #17 or something similar and earn their way higher.

In other news, Pete Gillen has pretty much already been shown the door at Virginia and they are going for it all with indirect contacts of Mike Montgomery, Tubby Smith, and Rick Barnes. I doubt any will come, even though Virginia has tons of money to throw at them and a new arena with a beautiful campus. Virginia has a good chance of becoming a basketball powerhouse if they ever get the right coach.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Mar 9, 2005 -> 12:26 AM)
IU is going to be a very good team next year, wouldn't be suprised to see them start out at #17 or something similar and earn their way higher.

In other news, Pete Gillen has pretty much already been shown the door at Virginia and they are going for it all with indirect contacts of Mike Montgomery, Tubby Smith, and Rick Barnes. I doubt any will come, even though Virginia has tons of money to throw at them and a new arena with a beautiful campus. Virginia has a good chance of becoming a basketball powerhouse if they ever get the right coach.

I will s*** myself if were not in the top 10. The same starting lineup that includes a first big ten teamer and BT Freshman of year. Adding Killingsworth who we know can score and rebound, and then also another stud recruiting class.

QUOTE(He_Gawn @ Mar 8, 2005 -> 06:38 PM)
I will s*** myself if were not in the top 10. The same starting lineup that includes a first big ten teamer and BT Freshman of year. Adding Killingsworth who we know can score and rebound, and then also another stud recruiting class.

Bracey could go to the NBA