*Official* College Basketball Thread

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/story/8271319

Report: Matta signs eight-year deal with Ohio State

SportsLine.com wire reports 

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Ohio State signed men's basketball coach Thad Matta to an eight-year contract, a newspaper reported Wednesday.

Advertisement

The Columbus Dispatch confirmed Tuesday that Matta signed the pact worth more than $11 million in guaranteed income if he serves the length of it.

The signing puts to rest rumors that Matta may not stay with the Buckeyes if the NCAA punishes the program more harshly than expected.

The basketball team is under a self-imposed ban on postseason play to mitigate possible NCAA penalties stemming from violations committed under former coach Jim O'Brien.

Questions about Matta's future abounded while he put off signing the contract after accepting the job on July 7. Matta came to Ohio State from Xavier.

Matta, 37, received a $350,000 signing bonus and guaranteed compensation this season worth $760,000.

Over the eight years of the contract, Matta is due $2.3 million in salary; $2.8 million for fulfilling media, promotional and public relations responsibilities; $2.7 million from Ohio State's apparel, shoe and equipment contract with Nike; at least $400,000 for the program's summer camps, and $80,000 in appearance fees from a soft drink manufacturer.

There also are incentive bonuses worth $290,000 annually.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Mar 9, 2005 -> 03:33 PM)
No DePaul play-by-play?  :P

If they don't beat UAB next game, even I don't think they deserve a tourney bid...

They better win these next 2, at least.

Nah, I think if they win today they're in.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Mar 9, 2005 -> 06:17 PM)
Also its nice to see the media finally calling out Chris Paul on how much of a punk he is. Man I can't stand that kid.

True. It doesn't make it right but he did, but did you hear what the fans were saying in NC State? That's pretty cold.

What ACC coach is being talked about in that rumor in your previous post?

Yeah I realize what fans say to him all the time, making fun of his grandfather's death etc, but he has to learn to deal with that in other ways. Most elite players have to deal with that kind of stuff.

As to the rumor, at first it was Gary Williams rumored, but that's been proven not true, then they moved on to Leanord Hamilton, I'm sure its nothing anyways.

That's really good news for UNC that McCants is getting back on the court. They haven't lost without him, but I personally am not sure they could have made the run through the tourney without him. It seemed like they really missed his outside shooting. With him, they are obviously a major threat to win it all.

A couple points of interest in this article...

http://www.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/story/8272558/2

--->Bowlsby said he will be paying especially close attention to a handful of "critical matchups" in conference tournaments. He wouldn't say which ones, but our best guesses: Minnesota vs. Indiana in the Big Ten ... UAB vs. DePaul (if DePaul advances) in Conference USA ... Texas Tech vs. Iowa State (if Iowa State advances) in the Big 12 ... Virginia Tech vs. Georgia Tech in the ACC.

--->Indiana was granted clemency for its 2-6 start. The Hoosiers (15-12) are 13-6 since late December, and CBS SportsLine.com projects they'll receive a bid if they beat Minnesota on Thursday. Here's what Bowlsby said: "We're looking for teams that are playing well the second half of the season, that are playing their best basketball. That doesn't mean you can ignore what happened in the first half of the season, but you're certainly looking to put the best 34 at-large teams into the tournament."

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Mar 9, 2005 -> 06:25 PM)
Yeah I realize what fans say to him all the time, making fun of his grandfather's death etc, but he has to learn to deal with that in other ways. Most elite players have to deal with that kind of stuff.

Steve Kerr's dad was the President of the American University in Beirut and was killed by terrorists. Opposing fans in the Pac-10 would chant "PLO, PLO!" As far as I know, Steve Kerr never punched anyone in the nuts, much less the best player on any team.

Chris Paul is a punk.

QUOTE(Mplssoxfan @ Mar 10, 2005 -> 12:14 AM)
Chris Paul is a punk.

No doubt. Now don't get me wrong what the nc state fans did is awful but it wasn't like Julius was the one shouting that crap. Paul is a punk, and an overrated one at that. Paul is a great player but some people make him out to be the best player to ever play in the acc is ridiculous, imo.

Yeah Mpl the Duke fans let Kerr hear it also when they came to town. Duke fans chanted "Where's your daddy?".

Rowand I agree about Paul being overrated. He's a heck of a player, but he's not gonna live up to the pre-season ACC POY hype. Its gonna be Redick likely, and 2nd it will be May.

Here's an interesting article(atleast to me) about baiting the referees.

http://www.accsports.com/exclusive_updates...sider030705.jsp

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Mar 10, 2005 -> 02:59 PM)
Yeah Mpl the Duke fans let Kerr hear it also when they came to town. Duke fans chanted "Where's your daddy?".

Rowand I agree about Paul being overrated. He's a heck of a player, but he's not gonna live up to the pre-season ACC POY hype. Its gonna be Redick likely, and 2nd it will be May.

Here's an interesting article(atleast to me) about baiting the referees.

http://www.accsports.com/exclusive_updates...sider030705.jsp

Meh, Redick is probably going to win POY in the acc but he doesn't deserve it imo. JJ is still to easy to shut down in big games. JJ pisses me off during most games to tell you the truth, still to streaky for me and takes some awful shots at times.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Mar 8, 2005 -> 08:52 PM)
Holy s***.

What an awesome game the Mid-Con title is!

Oakland just canned a 3 with one tic left, down by 2.

LOL I still can't believe Oakland pulled that off. ORU was playing in their hometown and Oakland sucks! 12-18 and they are in the tourney. They are usually the walking mat in the Mid-Con.

"Why would you want to stay in a frat house or with a bunch of guys for a weekend when you could be staying in a three-level apartment with four ladies that is conveniently located directly behind a bar and across the street from some of the best drunk food you can get? Exactly ... you wouldn't. We've got kegs on the balcony, beer in the fridge, and basketball on TV. It's like a frat house ... but with chicks. It doesn't get any better than that."

Just a minute, let me check with my wife: "Honey, do you mind if I spend a week living in an apartment with four coeds? ... Honey? Honey? Honey?"

I'm friends with the girls in this apartment, that's awesome. I hope they win this, because then i'll be chilling with Caple as well.

LOL, i'm best friends with some of these guys too. If they win, more hanging with Caple.

"We live on the second floor, which has six three-bedroom apartments which we rented out as a group so all 18 people (coed) living on the floor are in on the constant party. We have a big-screen TV right next to a second TV, so we can either watch two different games, or play PS2 and watch TV at the same time. My roommate hasn't slept in his room all semester, so you can use his room (he probably wouldn't even notice). And if you do something stupid (like root against Illinois), we have a pentagon of shame in the hallway for you to stand in.

I wonder. Would wearing an Ohio State sweatshirt get me a life sentence in the pentagon of shame?