*Official* College Basketball Thread

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn you guys wrote a lot while I was gone.... :lol:

If you told me that we would only lose by 7, and actually have a legite shot at winning the game I would've laughed. We made so many dumb mistakes. We made like -7 free throws tonight, and man, if we could work on getting the ball IN BOUNDS, we'd have won this game.

I'm happy though, we're not going to bend over this year.

I'm happy too, UNC's trainers even had fouls called on them tonight, Melvin Scott was injured for most of the game, Jackie Manual and David Noel played with their heads in their asses and UNC still went into IU and won by 7. Now its time for Kentucky, I was very impressed by Vaden, Ewing, and especially DJ White.

I'm happy too, UNC's trainers even had fouls called on them tonight, Melvin Scott was injured for most of the game, Jackie Manual and David Noel played with their heads in their asses and UNC still went into IU and won by 7. Now its time for Kentucky, I was very impressed by Vaden, Ewing, and especially DJ White.

Hey palhosefan, did you see Rashad McCants say "I'm going to f*** him up" after he got his fourth foul? I think little Ryan Tapak was getting on his nerves. lol

I liked how IU battled tonight and was happy they hung in there as well as they did. I really thought it was going to be a massacre.

That said, IU's problem is still the same as it has been the past 2 years. Besides having a mediocre offense, their offense tends to disappear for 4-5 minute stretches at least twice a game. They rarely, if ever, have 5 guys on the floor that are a legitimate threat to score.

Ewing, White and Vaden were impressive, but they will be inconsistent for awhile. Strickland has to be the most overrated recruit ever. Wright didn't try to do it all by himself tonight, which I thought was a positive step for him.

I'm going to be repetitive about the Illini, but what the hell. They were extremely impressive tonight. It is difficult to tell who is the best player on this team. I honestly think you could make that argument for four players.

I really enjoy watching this team. I just hope they play this well in March. Lastly, look for Arkansas to be a trap game. A letdown would be natural for the Illini, especially on the road. I don't know much about Arkansas, but playing an SEC team at home will not be easy, especially if they come out flat. They will need to battle through that game.

I liked how IU battled tonight and was happy they hung in there as well as they did.  I really thought it was going to be a massacre. 

That said, IU's problem is still the same as it has been the past 2 years.  Besides having a mediocre offense, their offense tends to disappear for 4-5 minute stretches at least twice a game.  They rarely, if ever, have 5 guys on the floor that are a legitimate threat to score. 

Ewing, White and Vaden were impressive, but they will be inconsistent for awhile.  Strickland has to be the most overrated recruit ever.  Wright didn't try to do it all by himself tonight, which I thought was a positive step for him.

Ah man...I'm still happy. They seriously gave 199% today... :lol:

Those droughts kill us; I still picture the '02 Finals game when the word drought is mentione.d :puke That's the one thing I hate about Davis' offense. There's not enough motion. The offense here is much like the White Sox offense. If one guy's cold, they're all cold. However, if one's hot, look out.

IU! :headbang

This is the AP report on the IU game. If this is what everyone is reading tomorrow morning, I'm quite happy.

Hoosiers fall to Tar Heels

By Michael Marot

Associated Press

December 2, 2004

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. -- Rashad McCants scored 19 points and Raymond Felton added 18 points as No. 9 North Carolina fought off Indiana 70-63 on Wednesday in the ACC-Big Ten Challenge.

It was the fifth straight win for the Tar Heels (5-1), who played their sixth game in 13 days.

Indiana (2-1) was led by Bracey Wright with 18 points and Robert Vaden with 16 points and nine rebounds.

The game was a far cry from the easy blowouts North Carolina was accustomed to lately. The Tar Heels entered their game against the Hoosiers with four straight wins -- all by double digits -- and scored more than 90 points in three straight games.

Indiana took advantage of a weary opponent by challenging the Tar Heels with a strong defense and relentless effort.

The Indiana fans urged players to dive after loose balls and fight for rebounds, and the Hoosiers delivered with their scrappiest game in more than a year.

The fans also took on North Carolina's Sean May, who did not respond well to the hecklers.

May, a former Indiana Mr. Basketball and the son of Indiana All-American Scott May, was booed in warmups and one fan had a sign taken away that read "Sean May

Traitor." Five fans wore shirts that spelled out the phrase "May you must be adopted," and the boos and chants intensified throughout the game as May struggled. He made just 2 of 7 shots and finished with eight points, all in the second half.

May's teammates plotted a different response.

After watching a 32-26 halftime lead dwindle to 34-33 just 1:38 into the second half, North Carolina righted itself.

McCants hit two free throws to start a 12-2 run and when May finally got his first basket of the night -- an emphatic dunk with 11:31 to go -- the Tar Heels appeared to have control with a 48-38 lead.

But the Hoosiers refused to let North Carolina pull away.

Wright and Marshall Strickland each hit 3-pointers to make it 50-44 with 8:41 left. Then May and McCants each drew their fourth fouls before the seven-minute mark, forcing North Carolina to try a different strategy.

Indiana's defense clamped down as North Carolina endured a scoring drought of 5:14 before May completed a three-point play to give the Tar Heels a 53-46 lead.

But the Hoosiers' rally stalled because of poor shooting and carelessness with the ball.

McCants hit his fifth 3-pointer to make it 56-46 and the Hoosiers could get no closer than five the rest of the way, despite keeping it close in the final minute.

Ah man...I'm still happy.  They seriously gave 199% today... :lol:

Those droughts kill us; I still picture the '02 Finals game when the word drought is mentione.d    :puke That's the one thing I hate about Davis' offense.  There's not enough motion.  The offense here is much like the White Sox offense.  If one guy's cold, they're all cold.  However, if one's hot, look out. 

IU! :headbang

I'll be honest with you I am not convinced that Davis knows how to put an offensive team out there that can gel together and compete as a team. I'd love for the guy to succeed and stay for a long time because I think he is legitimately a great guy, but for now, I am not convinced.

The problem i see with the IU offense is that there are those lapses for a few minutes where they don't do s*** in the half court offense. It's like i'll pass it over here, hold it a while...oh wait there's 5 seconds left on the shot clock, time to force my own shot. It seems like the classic Davis offense. If they had better offensive posessions tonight, i think they may have won. Too many just absolutely terrible half court offenses from what i saw.

The problem i see with the IU offense is that there are those lapses for a few minutes where they don't do s*** in the half court offense. It's like i'll pass it over here, hold it a while...oh wait there's 5 seconds left on the shot clock, time to force my own shot.  It seems like the classic Davis offense. If they had better offensive posessions tonight, i think they may have won. Too many just absolutely terrible half court offenses from what i saw.

Agreed 100%. Unfortunately, it has been 2 1/2 seasons of the same things........

Any Illini fans on here worried about tomorrow's Arkansas game?

The last time we played them was at the UC, they were undefeated at that point as well, and I believe we won by 20 + or so. Anyway, I got to think that it will be a 6-8 point lead at the half and then a comfortable 15 point win perhaps? But the crowd will be damn motivated to be playing a top 3 team, so that also could be a huge factor for our first true road game.

Go Illini!

This is a classic trap game. Coming off the huge emotional win and going on the road to play against an underrated team is a perfect upset setting. Games like these help define how good a team can really be over the long run. If UI struggles, can they find a way to win? That is the question that will be answered tomorrow.