*Official* College Basketball Thread

QUOTE(Soxnbears01 @ Feb 9, 2005 -> 11:24 AM)
thats exactly right.  Indiana/Mich slowed down the game, that's exactly the opposite of what illinois is trying to do.  We're a run and gun team, everyone knows that, when we're at our best is when we get in a rythm w/ our outside shooting.  That rythm starts w/ fast breaks and fast passing. If michigan didn't get careless w/ those passes that dee intercepted, i don't know if we would have won.

Careless passes/Dee Brown is just that damn good and that damn quick

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MOS, you don't sweat it at all during the game? While i have confidence in the Illini to pull it out, i find it hard that you don't get nervous at all. I was a wreck during parts of this game. That's what being a die-hard does to you.

I guess that's also what happens when you watch them lose to Purdue AT HOME in front of your own eyes. NOTHING is ever guaranteed. And you don't KNOW anything is a sure thing. Ever.

Nope. I was talking to WHarris1 over AIM and he was like "You're not worried at all?" and I was like nope.. seen this before, we will come back and win..

Honestly I saw no reason to be worried last night.. The most we got down by was 8 and that was with like 10 mins left in the game.. With our speed on D and our 3 pt shooting that lead can get cut to 2 in less than a minute.. I dont get worried because I know our team doesnt fold down the stretch, thats when they turn it up.. If we didnt have an 11 minute drought that score prolly woulda been something like 70 - 51, so I mean.. Im not gonna get all worked up when I have now seen them overcome Purdue, Iowa, Wisconsin, Indiana, and Michigan after things started looking shakey.. Of course Ill be like "s***, we better pick it up" but I mean im not sweating bullets..

Plus it gives me all the more reason to go insane when Dee f***ing Brown gets 3 steals in 3 possesions and then makes the sickest behind the back pass I have ever seen in my life..

Well these last two games should have taught the Big 10 and the rest of the NCAA how to beat Illinois. IU and Michigan obvious don't have anywhere near the talent to play UI but they both stuck around for way longer than anyone expected.

Use up your shotclock on offense.

It is obvious that if the opposing teams use shotclock and make the Illini work on the defensive end of the floor, they don't seem as sharp on the offensive end. A Princeton style game would be the perfect match up for them. I'll be curious to see the rest of the Big 10 schedule, and then the Big Dance, and see how teams use these last two games to match up with Illinois.

I dont agree with that.. Illinois jumped out to HUGE leads against both of them and then their shooting went ice cold.. The thing that jumped out to me the most was when they started using the Zone defense.. I dont think it was Michigan making the game boring last night holding the ball till 5 on the shot clock.. man that was annoying..

Anyways, I dont think holding the ball and using the shot clock caused Illinois to go on an 11 minute scoring drought.. I think the zone D was the main factor, we were working it around trying to get a shot and then ended up chucking up a 3 as SC ran down.. thats why we were like 7 - 23 from 3pt

MOS, you haven't seen enough bball games then if you weren't nervous...you would have said the same thing against Purdue last year

And our 3 point shooting? It wasn't there. So don't say that we are down 8 can can cut that quickly. Head finally hit some, but nothing was dropping.

About the gameplan against us...

If you are a completely undermanned team like IU or Michigan, it's a good strategy. No good team is going to do that; they are going to play their game. I'd love to see a good team completely alter their strategy in an attempt to beat us. It'd mess them up badly. So this strategy isnt' the be all end all strategy to use against Illinois. It doesn't make sense for all teams.

QUOTE(Man Of Steel @ Feb 9, 2005 -> 11:49 AM)
I dont agree with that.. Illinois jumped out to HUGE leads against both of them and then their shooting went ice cold.. The thing that jumped out to me the most was when they started using the Zone defense.. I dont think it was Michigan making the game boring last night holding the ball till 5 on the shot clock.. man that was annoying..

Anyways, I dont think holding the ball and using the shot clock caused Illinois to go on an 11 minute scoring drought.. I think the zone D was the main factor, we were working it around trying to get a shot and then ended up chucking up a 3 as SC ran down.. thats why we were like 7 - 23 from 3pt

I honestly believe you are identifing symptoms and not the root cause there.

WHY did their shooting go cold? They couldn't get into anykind of a rythm on offense because Michigan juiced the shot clock everytime they got the ball. They forced the Illini to play defense for 25-30 seconds everytime, which anyone will tell you is much harder than running offense. After a while it tires you out and takes your legs out from under your jumpshot if you aren't concentrating harder on O. It can also change the pace of the game in your mind and makes you want to run up the floor and rush shots you wouldn't usually take. I think the Illini have been a victim of the first part of that their last two games.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Feb 9, 2005 -> 12:12 PM)

WHY did their shooting go cold?  They couldn't get into anykind of a rythm on offense because Michigan juiced the shot clock everytime they got the ball.  They forced the Illini to play defense for 25-30 seconds everytime, which anyone will tell you is much harder than running offense.  After a while it tires you out and takes your legs out from under your jumpshot if you aren't concentrating harder on O.  It can also change the pace of the game in your mind and makes you want to run up the floor and rush shots you wouldn't usually take.  I think the Illini have been a victim of the first part of that their last two games.

I actually agree with this. This team up until the last couple of games has destroyed zone defenses all year. See Gonzaga, Wake, and nearly every other team that tried a zone against Illinois. My only problem with yesterdays effort was the lack of defensive intensity for about the first 30 minutes because when this team turns it up they just lock teams down and it changes the tempo of the game.

Agree somewhat SS. Michigan didn't run us into the ground on those offensive possessions though, they kinda just stood around. But yeah, it's still 30 seconds of defense one way or another. And it's a different mindset.

However, another factor, and this is not an excuse it's just a reality, is that we were tired. Played sunday, couldn't leave champaign monday, got very little sleep monday night and had to travel Tuesday. Legs weren't under them, probly a bit mentally out of it as well.

Undermanned teams should use this strategy, but that's about it. I don't think anyone has "solved" us or found the way to beat us. I'm not that worried about it.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Feb 9, 2005 -> 11:57 AM)
MOS, you haven't seen enough bball games then if you weren't nervous...you would have said the same thing against Purdue last year

And our 3 point shooting? It wasn't there. So don't say that we are down 8 can can cut that quickly. Head finally hit some, but nothing was dropping.

About the gameplan against us...

Ive seen plenty of games, and I have watched every game possible this year..

I dont live in Illinois so I cant see every game, I cant go to any games.. All I can do is watch if its on TV and watch the ole CBSSportsline game cast when its not..

You dont have to hate on me because I said I wasnt nervous... You think some scrub team like Michigan is going to beat us? please..

Also I made a mistake, we trailed by 8 with 15 mins left in the game, not 10.. 8 was as large as it got, if your worried about 8 pts with 15 mins to go.. you need to chill the f*** out

I had to tell my boy Willie to chill out at least 7 times last night, were #1 and undefeated for a reason.. I seriously doubt they are going to lose to a scrub team, we play too good..

Yeah the 3pt shooting wasnt there, but neither was anything else till Dee got things going with the steals.. thats doesnt mean that we couldnt hit 2 3's in 2 straight poss. we did it earlier in the game, we arent gonna stay cold forever as it showed last night..

Im not gonna be worried about anything till were down by double digits with less than 8 mins left.. other than that, nothing is safe for another team against us..

You saw how fast Dee alone scored 7 points, you cant get all worked up and worried if you want to.. but I wont, because I know they will pull it out

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Feb 9, 2005 -> 12:12 PM)

WHY did their shooting go cold?  They couldn't get into anykind of a rythm on offense because Michigan juiced the shot clock everytime they got the ball.  They forced the Illini to play defense for 25-30 seconds everytime, which anyone will tell you is much harder than running offense.  After a while it tires you out and takes your legs out from under your jumpshot if you aren't concentrating harder on O.  It can also change the pace of the game in your mind and makes you want to run up the floor and rush shots you wouldn't usually take.  I think the Illini have been a victim of the first part of that their last two games.

Ill agree with that somewhat as well..

but I still think it had more to do with the defense and the fact that our shooting went ice cold..

an 11 minute drought is quite some time without a basket, Ide think its more along the lines of bad shots and tough defense then it is their legs being tired and lack of concentration... but after reading what you just posted I do see what you mean and agree that it prolly did play a part in it as well as these other factors..

MOS, my point is you don't KNOW jacks***. You can think what you want. Most die-hard Illini fans are nervous down 8 and shooting the ball like crap on the road. Most fans of any team are. That doesn't mean we don't have confidence. It just means we aren't cocky like you. Huge difference. We don't sit there and chill and say we got the game in the bag.

You can act however you please, just don't say you know anything is/was going to happen.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Feb 9, 2005 -> 01:43 PM)
You can act however you please, just don't say you know anything is/was going to happen.

That's the part that got me. Yes, it can be expected that you're going to beat Indiana and Michigan b/c of the circumstances. However, it's conference play, and that's where upsets happen. Teams know each others tendencies better in conference, etc. Teams want those games more. I don't know their numbers there this year, but look at Northwestern at home.

Bruce Weber's motion offense should make the game feel fast no matter what the other team is doing. When it is running smoothly, there is always somebody cutting, picking, moving without the ball, passing. It's like a half-court fast break. They were definitely tired...mentally and physically. With some rest, watch out Wisconsin.

I hope Richard McBride can pick it up a little and spell the guards, I think all three played the entire second half last night.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Feb 9, 2005 -> 01:41 PM)
Im going to have to go with Krush on this one, I was there and really thought after that Dee turn over, we were f***ed, or at least in trouble. I know it was the 1st half, but it looked like Illinois couldnt buy a shot, while Michigan was getting the  shooters bounces on every shot.

However, when Dee had his 1st fast break, I really thought it was over, we got this game in the bag. All the Illini needed was a little run, and they got it.

basically my thoughts right there.

after the dee turnover i was like 'something's up, that never happens.'

w/ dee's play though, we got the momentum back we needed to pull it out.

Im w/ krush on this one. In conference play, on the road, in a pretty bad enviroment, you have to be nervous. Basketball is a game of momentum, it's easy to lose on the road.

QUOTE(He_Gawn @ Feb 9, 2005 -> 02:52 PM)
I only got to see the last half and if MOS says he wasnt nervous, then hes bandwagon. Hell, I was nervous and I hate both teams.

Bandwagon?? that doesnt even make any sense, I didnt just "jump" onto Illinois Ive been an illinois fan forever

Krush, dont f***ing tell me what I know and dont know.. You can sit there and be worried all you want but I knew we were gonna pull it out, so just shut up.. saying I dont know jacks*** because I wasnt worried is f***ing stupid

The whole time I said "just watch well pull it together and win it" said that from the whole second half on.. If you wanna sit there and tell me I dont know s*** because I wasnt being a little b**** and worrying and sweating it out like you, you can keep that to yourself..

Sorry Krush, I dont get worried down 8 with 15 f***ing minutes left in the game ;)

QUOTE(Man Of Steel @ Feb 9, 2005 -> 03:05 PM)
Bandwagon?? that doesnt even make any sense, I didnt just "jump" onto Illinois Ive been an illinois fan forever

Krush, dont f***ing tell me what I know and dont know.. You can sit there and be worried all you want but I knew we were gonna pull it out, so just shut up.. saying I dont know jacks*** because I wasnt worried is f***ing stupid

The whole time I said "just watch well pull it together and win it" said that from the whole second half on.. If you wanna sit there and tell me I dont know s*** because I wasnt being a little b**** and worrying and sweating it out like you, you can keep that to yourself..

Sorry Krush, I dont get worried down 8 with 15 f***ing minutes left in the game  ;)

I'm with you MoS. It never got to a point to where I had to worry about the Illini falling apart and losing. It was too early to be worried. I think if they're down by 10/8 with 3-5 mins to go...I might worry, but Illinois has shown that they can come back from those deficits in shorter time than that. The game was in the Illini's control well before I was in my "worry zone".

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Feb 9, 2005 -> 04:30 PM)
I don't know who Kevin Blackistone is, but lets do a comparison, shall we?

KU: Miles, Gidden, Langford. Combine for 34.1 ppg, 11.4 apg, 11.9 rpg

Illin: Williams, Brown, Head. Combine for 41.9 ppg, 15.4 apg, 10.3 rpg

KU the best? Yeah sure...

He's some ass clown on PTI.

KU isn't even as good as UNC, just going off the top of my head and not crunching numbers.

QUOTE(Soxnbears01 @ Feb 9, 2005 -> 02:33 PM)
basically my thoughts right there.

after the dee turnover i was like 'something's up, that never happens.'

w/ dee's play though, we got the momentum back we needed to pull it out.

Im w/ krush on this one.  In conference play, on the road, in a pretty bad enviroment, you have to be nervous.  Basketball is a game of momentum, it's easy to lose on the road.

Actually, seeing Dee's intensity right after that when he was banging himself in the head is what made me confident we would win the game. Sure enough, he creates a turnover right away and then soon after took over the game.

Sloppy half by UNC. Lots of turnovers and some poor shooting, but they're still only down 7 at Cameron. Both teams are playing some pretty good D, I'm especially impressed with UNC's work on Redick, he only got one good look the whole half (hit another 3 that was out in the parking lot).