*Official* College Basketball Thread

OSU game worries me a bit in that it won't be a rollover game. It's their national championship game, they gave us a tough time there last year, and that team has potential. If Dials is producing and Sullinger is shooting, etc, that team can be pretty good. If we don't play a pretty good game, we could easily lose it. That being said, i think our guys will realize OSU will be jacked, realize it's for the undefeated regular season, think about how close it was last year, and come out and play one hell of a game. I'm pretty confident we will win, only way we lose is if we play somewhat bad. OSU can't beat us at the top of our game.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish we could just skip these next two at home and get straight to OSU.

OSU is going to be one, tough game. Any Illini fan that says he isn't worried is either a) a complete idiot, or b-) lying.

Hopefully we finish the season blemish free, but you have to believe the Bucks are going to give it everything they got.

Thanks for all the responses.

UNC could have an ugly game tonight playing at arch rival NC State with their slown down Princeton wannabe style. McCants could be out with the flu though and Marvin Williams has a turf toe that could bother him the rest of the season.

lol yeah I'm not really worried at all. He already turned down a guaranteed lottery spot from Seattle last year to get his education. He's a different kind of kid, he truly cares about his education above anything else. He's gonna be a special, special player in the NBA. Roy Williams has spoken to him several times about next year focusing Marvin in the SF position to get him ready for the position in the NBA. He's the least of my worries about heading for the NBA early. I expect Ray and Rashad to leave early and Sean and Marv to return, atleast thats the inside word for a while now.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Feb 22, 2005 -> 04:05 PM)
I wish we could just skip these next two at home and get straight to OSU.

OSU is going to be one, tough game.  Any Illini fan that says he isn't worried is either a) a complete idiot, or b-) lying.

Hopefully we finish the season blemish free, but you have to believe the Bucks are going to give it everything they got.

I'm not worried, simply because if they bring their A game Ohio State stands no chance. If they don't play very well, Ohio State still has to play a good game to beat them. So I'd say that in 2 out of 3 scenarios Illinois wins.

Also, if they happen to lose, so what that's one loss. They'll still be the #1 team overall going into the tournament and while it would be nice to go undefeated it's more important what they do in March and April. I'm not saying I won't be upset if they lose. I'm not saying Ohio State can't win. I'm just saying this game will have no affect on what their goal should be, and what I'm worried about, and that's to make it to St. Louis and win 2 games there.

Does that make me an idiot or a liar?

Hell of a game by Indiana tonight. Bracey was vintage tonight, 27 points. He was 5/8 from the three, just sick. DJ White passed Alan Henderson and then some tonight to become IU's best block season as a freshman, w/ 54.

Great experience for my first IU-Purdue game. It's kind of cool to think that I got to see Gene Keady's last game in Bloomington. Fans were pretty nice to him tonight, which was cool. Keady got a standing ovation when he came on to the court, and he had a few nice gifts, one being a painting done on a piece of old Assembly Hall court. This keeps us in 4th in the Big Ten.

Our next game is against Michigan State on Sunday. Place is going to be rockin'! :headbang :headbang :headbang :headbang

For Indiana fans, what do you guys think you have to do to get into the tourney sitting at 12-11 with 4 games left and the Big Ten tourney? Do you think you have to win out and win 2 games in the tourney? Would 3 of 4 wins to end the year and 2 wins in the Big Ten tourney be enough? Is there much hope for Mike Davis with no tourney?

Here is my take...... It will take a MINIMUM of beating either Michigan St. or Wisconsin, and beating Northwestern to finish the regular season at 15-12. Then they would need to beat Minny in the Big 10 tournament and at least play Illinois very close. They would then be 16-13 and I don't think that will be enough, but they will need at least that to even be considered.

I could see a scenario where other bubble teams fall short and IU is given credit for a strong finish, as well as some benefit of the doubt for the Charlotte game. I wouldn't hold my breath, but if they consider NC a good loss, as well as UConn and a close game against Illinois, one could make an argument based on their schedule and their youth and finish. I wouldn't put any money on it or hold my breath, but in my mind, that is the a worst case scenario where they could be considered.

As far as Davis goes, I don't think it will necessarily depend on making the tournament or not, but rather the general direction and level of play. If they play well but lose to both Michigan St and Wisconsin and are respectable in the Big 10 Tournament a case can be made they are headed in the right direction. If they lay down and get crushed in any of those games or lose to Northwestern or in the first round of the B-10 tourney, then it could be viewed that they are just spinning their wheels and not making progress.

The biggest factor Davis has going against him in my mind is that he is due a $300,000 bonus if he is the Head Coach at IU as of July 1, 2005. He can bought out for roughly $750,000. If he is given one more season, it will cost IU roughly $550,000 just for that one more year when the bonus is factored in. I think if the AD is on the fence at all that will not go in his favor.

Do you delay the decision another year and payout $550,000 for this year and still have to pay another $500,000 to buy him out next year if things don't go well?

I think if Greenspan (the AD) is comfortable with the direction of the program and thinks Davis is capable of running it long term, he will keep him. If he isn't sure, my guess is that he is gone.

Heh...

http://cbs.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/story/8219859/1

When Hoosiers celebrate Keady, it's definitely time to go

By Gregg Doyel

SportsLine.com Senior Writer

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. -- The first time Gene Keady led Purdue into Assembly Hall, he picked up two technical fouls while Indiana's Isiah Thomas was jetting up and down the court. A few years later, it was Indiana coach Bob Knight who picked up the technical foul, and it was a chair that went whizzing past Keady. Those were the 1980s.

People got angry in the 1980s.

Keady made his 24th and final trip to Assembly Hall on Tuesday night, and for the most part no one was angry. Other than Keady's irritation with his occasionally incompetent team, which fell 79-62 to the Hoosiers, no one was even the least bit irked. All of Hoosier Nation acted as if they liked Keady, or at least appreciated him, which was more than a little disconcerting to see.

Ten minutes before tip-off, when Keady ambled onto the court, the crowd of 17,428 gave him a standing ovation. It was restrained, without a hint of vocal noise, but it was a standing ovation nonetheless -- and it went on for at least a minute.

Five minutes before tip-off, the public-address announcer launched into a pleasant farewell to Keady, who is retiring next month after 25 years at Purdue. Indiana coach Mike Davis came over for a handshake and to help present Keady with a portrait of the burly coach, a unique goodbye gift painted on a piece of the Assembly Hall floor.

Nice, very nice. All of it. No fireworks, no eruptions, but ... wait a minute, what's this? The feting of Keady is ongoing, but there goes Davis, walking away. The public-address announcer is still talking, reminding the crowd that of Indiana's 60 losses in 34 years at Assembly Hall, Keady has been responsible for six of them, more than any other opposing coach. The crowd somehow applauds this as well, which is strange. But there goes Davis, walking away. Stranger still.

It's awfully rude -- not exactly a chair clattering across the court, but it's something.

Now Davis is talking to his players. Now the Indiana players are staring at Keady.

Now Indiana's players are walking toward Keady. Now they are ... shaking his hand.

Very nice. Too nice.

A cartoon character like Gene Keady, all torso and tan and combed hair, comes into a bitter rivalry once in a lifetime. He deserved a better sendoff than the applause and the painting and the handshakes. Bob Knight would have sent Keady off in style, you can be sure of that. Knight's long gone, of course, and he didn't get any sort of sendoff. Think about that. As of Feb. 22, 2005, the coach at Purdue has been honored at Assembly Hall, and Bob Knight has not.

Strange. This whole night was strange. Did Hoosier Nation hate Gene Keady, or was it just pretending all those years? Imagine Dean Smith leading North Carolina into Cameron Indoor Stadium one last time, everyone knowing this was going to be it. Would he have received a portrait and applause? Would he have wanted it?

Other than a painful-to-watch 20-0 run early in the second half, Indiana and its fans were cordial to Keady. Is that what he wanted? Keady seemed to like it OK.

"The ovation was very much appreciated," he said. "I think that's pretty unusual when you have that kind of rivalry ... I'll remember that for a long time, but I'll remember the butt-kicking a lot longer. That's the way it's going. They give you gifts and kick your butts. ... I'll always remember the respect they gave me. They treated me nicely for what, two minutes? For 40 minutes they didn't. That part was special."

Maybe that was the rub. Maybe Indiana was killing Keady with kindness. Come to think of it, that's insulting. Keady owned a 21-20 advantage over Knight, but this was undoubtedly the worst Purdue team he has ever taken into Assembly Hall. No longer someone to be feared, Keady has become someone to be pitied.

"I feel like I'm riding up canyons ... where the Indians are going to shoot (us) in the back," Keady said. "We can't fight back. Hey, let's get some dynamite and get out of this canyon."

No explosions here. Even the officials showed mercy. Early in the second half with Indiana pulling away and Purdue's players letting it happen, Keady tried to get technical fouls from two different referees. Both walked away, smiling. No technical foul for you, Coach. Not on this night.

Typical. Bad night all the way around for Keady, though the timing of it was fairly cool. His last visit to Assembly Hall was one day short of the 20th anniversary of Knight's infamous thrown chair.

"It was no big deal," Keady said of Knight's unorthodox tantrum. "Anything he did was not surprising to me. That's why I liked him. Because it was always a new adventure."

Purdue won that game 20 years ago. Does anyone remember that? Maybe. But everyone remembers the chair. Definitely.

Oh, well. That's just one more bummer to ponder on a night Keady said goodbye to Assembly Hall and his bitter rivals 108 miles to the south. Allegedly bitter, that is. When it was over, Keady walked off the court to another standing ovation. Indiana students even rushed to the Purdue tunnel to send him off in a cascade of friendly noise.

Afterward Keady joked that his wife might burn the portrait, but he quickly said he was joking. Love was in the air, and it was thick. Keady even admitted that he roots for all Big Ten teams in the NCAA Tournament, including Indiana, and said he wants the Hoosiers to reach the 2005 NCAA Tournament.

"I hope they get into the NCAAs and do well," Keady said.

Strange. Icky. And then something stranger happened. Something ickier. As Keady walked out of the press room, the hometown media gave him an ovation of their own.

It was almost heart-warming. It was definitely classy.

A chair would have been more fun.

Thanks for the response Rex. I view Mike Davis as a similar situation that Matt Doherty was in. They both got high major jobs without any or much experience, both started off really well, both had problems coaching young, talented teams. In Doherty's case he had a few attitude problems, not sure if Davis shares that part also or not. But eventually Doherty just didn't do as well as people thought he could just missing the tourney by 1-2 games. As an outsider, I think Davis is doing a very nice job recruiting and should have a very strong team next year. I would let him stay on another year with a good finish like you said, then again, the job would be even more attractive with such a good team likely returning next year.

By the way, funny picture, this was one of the non-fouls against Sean May.

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/20/201828.jpg

Mickey D's rosters are going to be announced to the public today on ESPN news. From what I've heard, these are the schools with the most.

UNC 3, Duke 3, Kansas 3, Okl State 2, and Washington 2 have 13 of the 24 players in the game. Apparently Washington's first 2 Mickey D's players ever and Okl St had only one before I believe.

Paul Hewitt is really tarnishing his image with his teams horrible play. I couldn't have even fathomed GT not even making the tourney this year, now its a big possibility. You could exchange the Charmin bear for Luke Schenser and the only difference would be the australian accent. GT could be renamed Jarret Jack and the stiffs. Oh and JJ Redick gave Muhammed a forearm and a "f*** you" on national tv and Vitale says only "OHHHH its a wrestling match". I can't imagine what announcers would have said if it was McCants. Oh and JJ "The best shooter of all time" was 5-15 tonight, but again no mention of that. Awesome.