*Official* College Basketball Thread

SIU knocks off Northern Iowa in Carbondale. Northern Iowa beat Southern the past 2 meetings.

If Southern beats Witchita State this weekend at home, they will win their 4th straight regular season conference championship.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(whitesoxfan99 @ Feb 24, 2005 -> 03:12 AM)
Wait till next week to celebrate that when we send off Gene Keady by winnning our second consecutive outright Big 10 Championship.

All of you that will be at the game, whether in the Krush or not, can you guys give Captain Combover a big sendoff for all of the Illini Alumni that can't be there. Keady is the best coach to never have won anything (after Boeheim won two years ago). Plus, he gave us Bruce Weber by not retiring a year earlier.

Go ILLINI!!! :snr

for all that watched the game.

towards the end, whenever seacat got the ball on NW, if you saw 2 or 3 kids going nuts, that was me and krush.

We were all over his ass.

Probably the funnest krush game i've been to. The players and fans both were having an absolute blast.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Feb 23, 2005 -> 07:52 PM)
Thanks for the response Rex. I view Mike Davis as a similar situation that Matt Doherty was in. They both got high major jobs without any or much experience, both started off really well, both had problems coaching young, talented teams. In Doherty's case he had a few attitude problems, not sure if Davis shares that part also or not. But eventually Doherty just didn't do as well as people thought he could just missing the tourney by 1-2 games. As an outsider, I think Davis is doing a very nice job recruiting and should have a very strong team next year. I would let him stay on another year with a good finish like you said, then again, the job would be even more attractive with such a good team likely returning next year.

By the way, funny picture, this was one of the non-fouls against Sean May.

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/20/201828.jpg

There is no doubt Mike Davis recruits well. That is his biggest strength. The question is, can he coach them and make them better? Can he run the program as a whole? He has a tendency to come across as a whiner and that doesn't make him or the program look good. He speaks to the media like he has a chip on his shoulder. That is totally understandable, but if he wants to suceed long term, he needs to get over that. No one wants a complainer or a whiner. The other thing that bugs me somewhat about him - and this is something that wouldn't matter if all else was in good shape - is that he isn't real well spoken. He just doesn't come across as a guy in control of a program that should be a top 10 program every year.

He has had some bad luck and some near misses (Sean May, Jared Jeffries and Kirk Haston leaving early, Lawrence Roberts, Kris Humphries, Luol Deng).

I just think it will boil down to, do you buy him out for $750,000 or pay him $550,000 for one more year and then be faced with having to buy him out for $500,000 this time next year. OR is the AD convinced he is the right man for the job long term and stand behind him??

paleshose, you seem to follow the HS kids fairly well...... What have you heard about Richard Hendrix? He has committed to Alabama, but NBA scouts have been hanging out at his games recently. He'll likely be playing in Birmingham at the state finals next weekend and I may go check him out.

UNC wanted Hendrix BADLY, he took forever to make his mind up between the two also. In the end his family's wants won out in wanting to see him play. He's an Elton Brand type player, 6'7 thick PF with great hands and rebounding ability. He doesn't have Elton's athletic ability, but he's one of the top 5 players in his class regardless. I don't think he will enter the draft out of high school, he's only 6'7-6'8 tops and doesn't have the athleticism the NBA is looking for.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Feb 24, 2005 -> 05:04 AM)
UNC wanted Hendrix BADLY, he took forever to make his mind up between the two also. In the end his family's wants won out in wanting to see him play. He's an Elton Brand type player, 6'7 thick PF with great hands and rebounding ability. He doesn't have Elton's athletic ability, but he's one of the top 5 players in his class regardless. I don't think he will enter the draft out of high school, he's only 6'7-6'8 tops and doesn't have the athleticism the NBA is looking for.

He had 22 points, 14 rebounds, 8 assists and 7 blocks against one of the top Birmingham city schools in the regional on Tuesday. Not too shabby.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Feb 23, 2005 -> 11:55 PM)
So, Brian, Steve -- I take it my 'Cats didn't do so well tonight, ehh?

I thought they were gonna make a late run at the end ( :D ) -- hey, at least it they didn't lose by 40...  :bang

we had to make our own fun because your team didn't entertain ours.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Feb 23, 2005 -> 11:59 PM)
GIVE IT TO SEACAT!!!!!!!!!!

HE'S WIDE OPEN.

*pass goes to seacat, shot goes off the front of the rim.

that had to happen at least 5 times

Edited by Soxnbears01

Paul Hewitt is really tarnishing his image with his teams horrible play. I couldn't have even fathomed GT not even making the tourney this year, now its a big possibility. You could exchange the Charmin bear for Luke Schenser and the only difference would be the australian accent. GT could be renamed Jarret Jack and the stiffs. Oh and JJ Redick gave Muhammed a forearm and a "f*** you" on national tv and Vitale says only "OHHHH its a wrestling match". I can't imagine what announcers would have said if it was McCants. Oh and JJ "The best shooter of all time" was 5-15 tonight, but again no mention of that. Awesome.

I knew some jealous tarhole fan would bring this up. If you watched you saw Muhammad put his leg over Redick to try andd keep him down. Redick got offended and lost his temper. I thought it was a great call by the refs to just leave it as a double foul since both were at fault.

Now I ask the tarhole fan, would you want JJ Redick on your team? Obviously you would. Redick didn't have a great shooting night, but he hit some big 3's and won the game for us with his 2 clutch free throws. He's better then anyone on UNC and everyone knows it. He showed that in their first game and he'll sbow it again on March 6th.

It's great that people will still belittle this guy wh is gonna win the ACC Player of the Year. Some of these people need to get a life and start worrying about their own team. All I know is that Duke beat Georgia Tech on the road, and it's because of JJ Redick.

QUOTE(Butter Parque @ Feb 24, 2005 -> 10:43 AM)
I knew some jealous tarhole fan would bring this up. If you watched you saw Muhammad put his leg over Redick to try andd keep him down. Redick got offended and lost his temper. I thought it was a great call by the refs to just leave it as a double foul since both were at fault.

Now I ask the tarhole fan, would you want JJ Redick on your team? Obviously you would. Redick didn't have a great shooting night, but he hit some big 3's and won the game for us with his 2 clutch free throws. He's better then anyone on UNC and everyone knows it. He showed that in their first game and he'll sbow it again on March 6th.

It's great that people will still belittle this guy wh is gonna win the ACC Player of the Year. Some of these people need to get a life and start worrying about their own team. All I know is that Duke beat Georgia Tech on the road, and it's because of JJ Redick.

Exhibit A as to why everyone hates Duke and their fans.

It so great to be a Duke fan because everyone hates you until Duke beats their favorite team and then those fans crawl into their little holes for awhile.

The fact is; is that you would choose JJ Redick over anyone on North Carolina, but you would never admit that. You keep talking about Rashad McCants, but wasn't it JJ Redick who had him locked up for those last seconds, preventing him from getting the ball. it's plain and simple; JJ Redick is a better player then anyone on North Carolina.

I guess North Carolina fans and Duke fans will never agree on anything, and Illinois fans, well, they're enjoying their winning while it lasts.

The fact is; is that you would choose JJ Redick over anyone on North Carolina, but you would never admit that. You keep talking about Rashad McCants, but wasn't it JJ Redick who had him locked up for those last seconds, preventing him from getting the ball. it's plain and simple; JJ Redick is a better player then anyone on North Carolina.

I wouldn't expect any different. UNC fans would take Marvin Williams, Rashad McCants, Raymond Felton, and Sean May over JJ Redick. Just like Duke fans would take Shelden Williams, JJ Redick, and Satan their coach over anyone on UNC :bang