Valpo HS student slashes 8 classmates

YASNY

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What exactly happened to the kid? Is he in jail or a psych ward or what?

The really sad part is if he's charged as a juvenile he'll be back out by 18.

Ohh well at least everyone was ok... :pray

He is in the psych ward right now, but I'm sure he will be in JDC very soon. The police took him off in handcuffs..

Had you known the kid who did all this?

Nope. He just moved here this year from Chicago. According to reports, he was a good student who got all A's and B's. My only guess is that maybe he had no friends after moving here? :huh

What really bothers me about this whole thing is the fact that this kid got two large knives into my school. One was even a machete. Also, all the slashings were on the students faces and heads. Some had cuts on their hands from trying to protect their faces. He had an intent to kill. :headshake

Nope. He just moved here this year from Chicago. According to reports, he was a good student who got all A's and B's. My only guess is that maybe he had no friends after moving here? :huh

What really bothers me about this whole thing is the fact that this kid got two large knives into my school. One was even a machete. Also, all the slashings were on the students faces and heads. Some had cuts on their hands from trying to protect their faces. He had an intent to kill. :headshake

Anyone could smuggle a f***ing armory into VHS. Dr. Benway, the superintendent here, was telling the press that kids can ONLY get into the school through two doors which are heavily supervised. The front and back doors are guarded by...old people who....force you to sign in. I've entered the school dozens of times and bypassed the so called "security" at VHS. It's a joke. Later, the retarded mayor, David Costas, referred to the four faculty members who tackled the kid...after wandering the halls, heroes. Yeah, you really did a whole lot of good tackling the kid after he stabbed 7 kids, cool!

As for the 15-year-old who did this, he's being held in the adult psych ward at Porter Memorial Hospital. Used a machete and a serrated knife.

Once again, I've been waiting for this to happen, and all of Valpo is lucky that ONLY this happened. Valpo is the kind of High School where a Columbine type of event was bound to happen. The entire school is polarized and some of the s*** that these kids take for being "different" is mind blowing. While I'm unsure of what the kid was going through, I'm betting he got a lot of s*** at VHS. All of the kids were released from the hospital, so that's good to know.

Try to enjoy your 7 semesters left at the new military compound in Valpo, Snell, it's gonna suck even more there.

And I thought my school is bad now, yes I've seen guns/knifes/drugs brought in my school and innocent bystandards getting shot or stabbed but its mostly gang related. (can't count the numerous times where I was almost killed.) I've never seen an ordinary kid do this kind of s***. It's discusting. Stay safe soxin. :pray

I hope this kind of s*** never happens at my school or anyone else’s school. You say old people guard the back and front doors? s***... we don’t even have any guards here at my school... except for 1. Anything can be smuggled into a school without anyone knowing about it, which’s why I approve of the metal detector issue.

Want to go to a safer high school? Come over here to Gary.

I hope this kind of s*** never happens at my school or anyone else’s school. You say old people guard the back and front doors? s***... we don’t even have any guards here at my school... except for 1. Anything can be smuggled into a school without anyone knowing about it, which’s why I approve of the metal detector issue.

Want to go to a safer high school? Come over here to Gary.

Thats what I always hated about Calumet.

You had to have like a see through pack back but they wouldn't check purses or anything like that. I thought they should of had a medal detector a long time ago but ohh well.

Then again I never really trusted those goth kids in the trenchcoats.

Thats what I always hated about Calumet.

You had to have like a see through pack back but they wouldn't check purses or anything like that. I thought they should of had a medal detector a long time ago but ohh well.

Then again I never really trusted those goth kids in the trenchcoats.

See through backpacks!? Wow... that was kind of gay. :unsure:

BTW, my school didn’t speak about this incident yesterday so I expect Mr. Miller (the principal) to say something about this on Monday. This is a subject that every high school should be serious about.

The student now is saying that God told him to punish the sinners... Really sad, the kid is only 15.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/c...ll=chi-news-hed

VALPARAISO -- The Valparaiso High School student who slashed five classmates in a knife attack did not target any specific people but told police God directed him to do it because they were ``sinners,'' an investigator said.

The family of the 15-year-old boy released a statement Monday expressing regret for the attack during a Spanish class as school started Wednesday.

``A great deal of our pain comes from knowing how so many students, parents and others in this community suffered at the actions of a 15-year-old boy we have known and loved his entire life,'' the statement said. ``After several days of searching we still have no rational answer and hope medical professionals can guide us toward an explanation.''

Police Sgt. Perry Stone, the lead investigator in the attack, said the boy told investigators he obtained the machete and another knife used in the slashings from his family's barn and kept quiet until he decided to act on that particular day.

``He said kids were sinners and God had given him direction,'' Stone said. ``He said no, nobody had bullied him. It was random. He just began swinging at whoever was closest to him.''

The teenager will remain in custody at least until a psychological evaluation is completed, Deputy Prosecutor Tim Haraminac said.

The teen made an appearance in juvenile court Monday, but no charges were immediately filed, Haraminac said.

``We have until the end of the week to file charges, which will happen,'' Haraminac said. ``Those psychological evaluations are going to help us determine what he will be charged with because we want to determine his state of mind.''

An initial hearing is scheduled for Dec. 10. Prosecutors could still ask that the case be moved to adult court, Haraminac said.

Five students were treated at a hospital for cuts and two were treated for other injuries. One student was hospitalized overnight, but the others were released within hours of the attack.

Nick Thiros, an attorney representing the boy during Monday's closed court hearing, said he wanted the boy to undergo mental health evaluations.

``There is nothing in this boy's history of unusual behavior,'' Thiros said. ``The family is shocked at what happened. This was a teenager with good grades who didn't get in trouble.''

Once again, I've been waiting for this to happen, and all of Valpo is lucky that ONLY this happened. Valpo is the kind of High School where a Columbine type of event was bound to happen.

When that Columbine incident occured, I thought that same thing. But I was thinking it would happen at my old high school (Wheeler)

Religious fundamentalism brings more positivity and sunshine to the world.

That God totally kicks ass.

LosMedias, a few months earlier a kid brought a loaded gun to VHS and gave it to another kid who inturn blew his head off at home. That's the only other reason why VHS would be in the news other than it is quite possibly the lamest, most normal school ever created.

That God totally kicks ass.

LosMedias, a few months earlier a kid brought a loaded gun to VHS and gave it to another kid who inturn blew his head off at home. That's the only other reason why VHS would be in the news other than it is quite possibly the lamest, most normal school ever created.

Maybe it was that, but I seem to think it was something else just a few days ago.

When that Columbine incident occured, I thought that same thing.  But I was thinking it would happen at my old high school (Wheeler)

You thought it would happen at Wheeler? Wow that is a small school for something like that to happen.

I was suprised yesterday at school that we didn't do anything major, all we did was talk about it in our first hour classes. It was hard to work for the rest of the day because it was hard to focus. It turns out that I knew three of the victims, the third one I didn't know by name, but see him all the time in the weight room. The worst injury was one girl who lost a big chunk of her nose and had to have a lot of stitches all over her face and arms. Another boy who you might have seen on the news had two big gashes on his face and torn tendons in his fingers. It was weird yesterday driving up to school in the morning with news trucks all over and reporters walking around. In my opinion, James should be tried as an adult and be locked up for life. He was a bright kid who knew well what he was doing, he was even on our Science Olympiad team with one of my friends.