Any Names of Interest?

CWSGuy406

Rotoworld Article on Rule V Draft

I see two former White Sox players on there in Webster and Ring - but, besides that -- anyone of interest on there that the Sox might be looking at, or that particularly interests you? (I'm interested in your guys' opinions, as I know absolutely nothing about any of the players outside the Sox' farm system).

The two names that jump out at me are Drew Meyer and Anthony Webster. Meyer would be more viable, depending on what they do with their middle infield situation. If they don't acquire anyone then he could be a nice utility guy for a year. He has exellent speed and I am guessing he can still handle the bat well. I know he hasn't hit real well, but he might be able to handle it well enough off the bench as a pinch hitter or once a week starter.

Webster would be a long shot and I think the Sox already took their long shot with Alex Escobar. But I'd love to get him back. He missed a lot of time last year with an injury. He actually had a pretty decent year, for a 20 year old. I still think he will turn out to be a nice player.

Hate to say it, but I don't think the Sox will take anyone in regards to the RuleV, although I think Rex's pick Drew Meyer would make some sense since its a position the Sox would have to carry anyway.

Webster could be taken by someone cause he is a great athlete and still very young.

Is Sisco the ex-Cub top prospect?

In 2003 BA had him as the Cubs 3rd best prospect. Here was their scouting report.

"Strengths: Because he’s an intimidating 6-foot-9 lefthander, Sisco draws comparisons to Randy Johnson–and he’s more polished than Johnson at the same age. Sisco made strides with his mechanics last year, when he regularly threw 90-96 mph. Besides his arm, he also earns high marks for his athleticism, feel, poise and work ethic.

Weaknesses: Sisco needs to make his delivery and his pitches more consistent. He has a slurvy breaking ball that should become a curveball if he maintains a higher arm slot. He throws his splitter too often and needs to develop a true changeup. His command can be shaky.

The Future: Chicago’s strength is pitching from top to bottom, so Sisco won’t be rushed. He’ll open 2003 at low Class A Lansing and won’t see Wrigley Field before late 2005.

"

Ya, Sisco was very highly rated and I think he had some arm trouble. I think he's the tall lefty who threw really hard with a power slider. Could be wrong, this if off the top of my head.

I think he would be well worth the pickup, and you could give him the preseason and see if he would have what it took to be a lefty in the back of the pen, but I doubt the Sox do it.

The two names that jump out at me are Drew Meyer and Anthony Webster.  Meyer would be more viable, depending on what they do with their middle infield situation.  If they don't acquire anyone then he could be a nice utility guy for a year.  He has exellent speed and I am guessing he can still handle the bat well.  I know he hasn't hit real well, but he might be able to handle it well enough off the bench as a pinch hitter or once a week starter.

Webster would be a long shot and I think the Sox already took their long shot with Alex Escobar.  But I'd love to get him back.  He missed a lot of time last year with an injury.  He actually had a pretty decent year, for a 20 year old.  I still think he will turn out to be a nice player.

I agree, take him and let him sit a year on the bench, I would do that.

Colt Griffin could :bringit

I agree. Colt Griffin was a name that jumped out. I remember this guy being a top 10 pick(if I am not mistaken), and reports said that this guy can get up into triple digits. It sounds like he had mild sucess as a reliever at AA, and at 22 he is still very young(with upside). The Sox also have a need for a power right handed arm in the pen, so it could be a perfect fit.

As others have mentioned, Sisco would also be an interesting pick.

The guy I'd like to see is Buddy Hernandez out of the Atlanta Braves system. He's a righthanded reliever who gave up only 42 hits in 67 innings with Richmond in '04. Struck out around 60, and finished a few games too. Supposedly has very good stuff but hasn't been able to crack the Atlanta staff.

He could fit in nicely as a 7th inning guy if he shows well in the spring. I think some team will take him for sure.

Anyone remember the last time the Sox took a player in the Rule V draft?  I can't, off the top of my head.

Jason is probably right, the Sox won't likely take anyone.

Jason Grilli :) Geesh Rex, you are slipping.

Out of curiousity, are Siscos injuries something where he could get left on the DL all year, and not take up a 25 man roster spot? Or is he ready to go?

Wow, the Cubs have a lot of guys on that list.

This is where good minor league scouting comes into play. Based on that I'm not terribly optimistic the White Sox will uncover a hidden gem. :lol:

They have Escobar penciled in as their "project", there's really no room for an infield guy, so if they picked someone it'd almost have to be a pitcher IMO. That's why I thought maybe Hernandez, he's got some experience but just hasn't broken through.

Wow, the Cubs have a lot of guys on that list.

This is where good minor league scouting comes into play.  Based on that I'm not terribly optimistic the White Sox will uncover a hidden gem.  :lol:

They have Escobar penciled in as their "project", there's really no room for an infield guy, so if they picked someone it'd almost have to be a pitcher IMO.  That's why I thought maybe Hernandez, he's got some experience but just hasn't broken through.

There has to be room for an infield guy. They can't go into the season with just Harris, Uribe and Crede. I'm not making any assumptions that Wilson Valdez will automatically make the club. No reason they shouldn't at least bring in someone to compete for a utility position. Hell, there is no guarantee that Texas would want Meyer back.

Jason Grilli :) Geesh Rex, you are slipping.

Out of curiousity, are Siscos injuries something where he could get left on the DL all year, and not take up a 25 man roster spot?  Or is he ready to go?

You're right, I am slipping. I totally forgot about Grilli. Then again, maybe I was trying to forget about him.....

There has to be room for an infield guy.  They can't go into the season with just Harris, Uribe and Crede.  I'm not making any assumptions that Wilson Valdez will automatically make the club.  No reason they shouldn't at least bring in someone to compete for a utility position.  Hell, there is no guarantee that Texas would want Meyer back.

I think it is highly likely that the Sox sign some middle infielder this offseason, and that would leave no room for another middle infielder on the 25 man roster. Why do you like Meyer? I just checked out his stats, and the guy hit .239 with a .616 OPS at AA. Why do you think he will be able to be a decent big leaguer next year(worth a roster spot) after struggling so badly at AA last year? Every team usually takes a couple of Rule 5 players, but you don't hear about it much since they rarely warrant a big league spot, and are returned to the original team. My guess is that the Sox might take a chance on a few of the pitchers listed(assuming they are available) with the questions that they have at the back end of their pen.

I think it is highly likely that the Sox sign some middle infielder this offseason, and that would leave no room for another middle infielder on the 25 man roster. Why do you like Meyer? I just checked out his stats, and the guy hit .239 with a .616 OPS at AA. Why do you think he will be able to be a decent big leaguer next year(worth a roster spot) after struggling so badly at AA last year? Every team usually takes a couple of Rule 5 players, but you don't hear about it much since they rarely warrant a big league spot, and are returned to the original team. My guess is that the Sox might take a chance on a few of the pitchers listed(assuming they are available) with the questions that they have at the back end of their pen.

It is a definite long shot and based more on a gut feeling than anything.

I know Meyer has struggled as a pro. But he has good speed and doesn't strike out too much and walks at a decent clip. He plays solid defense at 2B or SS and does the little things well. He also runs very well.

I'll be honest with you, most of my feeling on him is based on seeing him play several times in college. I just liked the way he played the game. In my mind, he might be worth taking a flyer on as a utility guy.

He only played in 59 games last year, which tells me part of his problem last year was due to injury.

I am not championing him to be the next great player, but the worst case scenario if you draft him is you send him back to Texas and it costs you $25k. I don't think the Sox will do it, and I think you are right, they will probably sign another infielder at some point, but having an extra guy in camp when you have a roster spot open, couldn't hurt.

Rex, I know there are some extenuating circumstances, but what do you think about Texas leaving Webster available to claim?

I remember there was a lot of screaming and crying when he was traded, not by you, but in general.

I'm not saying this vindicates the 1st trade but it goes to show some of these prospects are a long ways away, with significant hurdles to reach the big leagues.

Of course they got Francisco who blossomed and Rupe is highly thought of but BA had this kid as #3 in the Sox system and what, two years later he's out there for anyone to claim.

Rex, I know there are some extenuating circumstances, but what do you think about Texas leaving Webster available to claim?

I remember there was a lot of screaming and crying when he was traded, not by you, but in general.

I'm not saying this vindicates the 1st trade but it goes to show some of these prospects are a long ways away, with significant hurdles to reach the big leagues.

Of course they got Francisco who blossomed and Rupe is highly thought of but BA had this kid as #3 in the Sox system and what, two years later he's out there for anyone to claim.

I know Rex likes this kid. I am very surprised he is available. I say take him back, hell, let him fight it out with Escobar as extra outfielder. I, for one, was not worried when we traded him, it was Rupe that bothered me, but Webster had a very nice year, adding some power. Lets get him back.