Compter Help

Gene Honda Civic

A little background info first...

I share my computer with others who aren't as enlightened as me and use IE instead of Firefox. When one of them complained last weekend that "the internet wasn't working" I told them they just had some spyware on the the computer... My brother was coming back from school for the Thanksgiving holiday, since he works as a computer tech at school I thought I would let him deal with it...

So Thursday, when he was "done" deleting spyware, we had lost connectivity to the internet... But only on that computer.

I have a wireless router running off of my cable modem...(currently writing this on a 6 year old laptop) which obviously can connect. My sister's laptop can connect.

Now here's the really perplexing part. THe computer that won't "connect" actually shows a perfect signal from the router. It just won't connect to any internet program (IE, Firefox, AIM, Trillain, P2P, etc.)

I have removed all the spyware that I can find, (actually VX2 is still there, but I'll get that later, stupid regedit), and can actually access the router page(internal IP adress)

Now, while using IE, after having visited my router page, I try to go to Yahoo.com. Along the bottom(status bar) I get. Looking for yahoo., then autosearch.msn.....yahoo.com, then www.www.yahoo.com.com, then www.www.yahoo.org.. then .net... as if there is some sort of spyware..I don't have enough patience to wait around for more as that takes about 5 minutes... This doesn't show up in Firefox, but still won't connect.

Does anyone have any idea what the heck is going on here? Did my brother delete something vital to connect? Is there some killer spyware that works across platforms and program types? Is there some other problem with my router?

Any help is appreciated.

A little background info first...

I share my computer with others who aren't as enlightened as me and use IE instead of Firefox.  When one of them complained last weekend that "the internet wasn't working" I told them they just had some spyware on the the computer... My brother was coming back from school for the Thanksgiving holiday, since he works as a computer tech at school I thought I would let him deal with it...

So Thursday, when he was "done" deleting spyware, we had lost connectivity to the internet... But only on that computer.

I have a wireless router running off of my cable modem...(currently writing this on a 6 year old laptop) which obviously can connect.  My sister's laptop can connect. 

Now here's the really perplexing part.  THe computer that won't "connect" actually shows a perfect signal from the router.  It just won't connect to any internet program (IE, Firefox, AIM, Trillain, P2P, etc.)

I have removed all the spyware that I can find, (actually VX2 is still there, but I'll get that later, stupid regedit), and can actually access the router page(internal IP adress)

Now, while using IE, after having visited my router page, I try to go to Yahoo.com.  Along the bottom(status bar) I get. Looking for yahoo., then autosearch.msn.....yahoo.com, then www.www.yahoo.com.com,  then www.www.yahoo.org.. then .net... as if there is some sort of spyware..I don't have enough patience to wait around for more as that takes about 5 minutes...  This doesn't show up in Firefox, but still won't connect.

Does anyone have any idea what the heck is going on here? Did my brother delete something vital to connect?  Is there some killer spyware that works across platforms and program types?  Is there some other problem with my router?

Any help is appreciated.

What kicked my butt this weekend, as far as networking, was adding a new PC with Norton and Windows Firewall running. I deleted Norton, ending any conflicts and was able to access the net and get file and printer sharing to work. Perhaps that's what is causing your problem?

Also, in a totally different problem. Anyone needing a boot disk and not having one close by, bootdisk.com (go figure) has a slew of boot disks and other troubleshooting utilities.

Yeah, I have NOrton Internet Security running, though I'm pretty sure I turned the firewall off. It's logging a high number of remote hosts trying to acess my computer. (there goes one now).... So other people are able to reach all the way to my computer only to get stopped by NIS...

PS, I hate laptop keyboards.

Yeah, I have NOrton Internet Security running, though I'm pretty sure I turned the firewall off. It's logging a high number of remote hosts trying to acess my computer. (there goes one now).... So other people are able to reach all the way to my computer only to get stopped by NIS...

PS, I hate laptop keyboards.

I assume the machine you are having trouble with is not the one attached to the router. Can you attach it to the router directly and see what it does? That would isolate a wireless problem.

Also, try uninstalling the network and reinstalling it. That should fix some issues.