Stem Cell Research helps paralyzed woman walk.

NUKE_CLEVELAND

Nobody is suggesting medical ethics be abandoned.  Quite the contrary in some cases.  What is suggested is that people are closing the door on new medical horizons without even having intelligent dialog about the issues first.

And intelligent dialog is a two way street. There are real theological issues and I believe they are just as important as the medical/scientific ones. However, too many scientists dismiss the theological issues without debate and with prejudice and I agree some theologically driven people dismiss the scientific safeguards without debate and with prejudice.

And intelligent dialog is a two way street. There are real theological issues and I believe they are just as important as the medical/scientific ones. However, too many scientists dismiss the theological issues without debate and with prejudice and I agree some theologically driven people dismiss the scientific safeguards without debate and with prejudice.

I'd like to think the theological issues can be readdressed as moral/ethical issues. It is not unreasonable for scientists to not want theological debate to enter into a scientific decisionmaking process - regardless of the fact that they may be people of faith in their private lives. Ethics on the other hand (as opposed to a cosmic carrot and stick) can and must be considered in secular medical and scientific decisionmaking.

And scientists can't consider spiritual mattters in their capacity as scientists. Untestable by definition, it falls outside of the scientist's professional domain. That is not to say ascientists should not strive to respect all theological beliefs and viewpoints, provided those beliefs are not forced down the throats of the unwilling.

I can't think of any issues you would describe as 'theological' that can't remain weighty important issues if grounded as ethical issues on this plane of existence, abortion and stem cell research included. If that is not the case, then this is always destined to be an impasse.

20 pages?!?

Better use big type.  :D

Ended up being 23 pages. Who would think that one could write that much on the development of a Palestinian nationalist militant movement among refugees as a result of the 1967 war?

And Tex, I don't understand why you're so worried about cloning -- major media TV stations have been doing that to their public for years. :lol:

I'd like to think the theological issues can be readdressed as moral/ethical issues.  It is not unreasonable for scientists to not want theological debate to enter into a scientific decisionmaking process - regardless of the fact that they may be people of faith in their private lives.  Ethics on the other hand (as opposed to a cosmic carrot and stick) can and must be considered in secular medical and scientific decisionmaking.

And scientists can't consider spiritual mattters in their capacity as scientists.  Untestable by definition, it falls outside of the scientist's professional domain.  That is not to say ascientists should not strive to respect all theological beliefs and viewpoints, provided those beliefs are not forced down the throats of the unwilling.

I can't think of any issues you would describe as 'theological' that can't remain weighty important issues if grounded as ethical issues on this plane of existence, abortion and stem cell research included.  If that is not the case, then this is always destined to be an impasse.

I acknowledge that my concerns regarding human reproduction and the resulting cells are largly a result of theological beliefs. For many issues I can seperate the "I believe this and you believe that" and keep that out of public policy. I have read several scholarly works on the subject and understand the safeguards that would be in place. However, at some level, when an egg and sperm are connected, I believe that process to be special and even sacred, even when outside the womb.

I know that scientific debate would crush my intellectual argument, but it won't crush my belief.

But we know what a conservative I am, so this just fits right in. :-)