Why not go after Beltran?

Wanne

I mean hell...why not make a splash...attract some other people than as well showing the Sox mean business? I know, I know...we're talkin' Tight-ass Reinsdorf and all...but why not. If it doesn't work out and the payroll stress is too much...hell...it's not like you're stuck with the guy. If the Rangers can unload ARod...the Sox could sure as hell unload Beltran to somebody and get a decent package in return. I'm so tired of this one-dimensional thinking...GODDAMN...be aggresive!

Beltran IS NOT gonna get $200....or ten years. With the market today I truly doubt that anybody will sign people to those types of contracts anymore. You wouldn't give him $16 or 17M for 6-8 years? Mags gone (-$14M), Valentin gone (-$5M), trade PK (-$8-9M). The money is there...it's called being proactive. Everybody b****es about not having a World Series appearance or trophy. Look at Arizona (extreme example)...look at Florida...they spent...they won...they recovered. Although Arizona screwed themselves with the Schilling deal...at least they have a WS trophy already...and for as bad as they were this year, alot of it had to do with Sexson going down and Gonzales hurt.

Beltran IS NOT gonna get $200....or ten years.  With the market today I truly doubt that anybody will sign people to those types of contracts anymore.  You wouldn't give him $16 or 17M for 6-8 years?  Mags gone (-$14M), Valentin gone (-$5M), trade PK (-$8-9M).  The money is there...it's called being proactive.  Everybody b****es about not having a World Series appearance or trophy.  Look at Arizona (extreme example)...look at Florida...they spent...they won...they recovered.  Although Arizona screwed themselves with the Schilling deal...at least they have a WS trophy already...and for as bad as they were this year, alot of it had to do with Sexson going down and Gonzales hurt.

The Marlins spent and won? Then the Sox should be in great shape because the Sox payroll in 2003 was higher than the Marlins...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/...03/salaries_ap/

Also on the Diamondbacks, they are basically teetering on the edge of bankruptcy. They have $300 million in debt.

And on the Sox losing Maggs... They also picked up Contreras and Garcia, who for 2005 are going to add up to about $14 million. Maggs money has been spent.

Beltran IS NOT gonna get $200....or ten years.  With the market today I truly doubt that anybody will sign people to those types of contracts anymore.  You wouldn't give him $16 or 17M for 6-8 years?  Mags gone (-$14M), Valentin gone (-$5M), trade PK (-$8-9M).  The money is there...it's called being proactive.  Everybody b****es about not having a World Series appearance or trophy.  Look at Arizona (extreme example)...look at Florida...they spent...they won...they recovered.  Although Arizona screwed themselves with the Schilling deal...at least they have a WS trophy already...and for as bad as they were this year, alot of it had to do with Sexson going down and Gonzales hurt.

Question for ya: If you were Beltran and assuming the money was right, why would you join the Sox over some of the other teams that are interested in you?

Question for ya: If you were Beltran and assuming the money was right, why would you join the Sox over some of the other teams that are interested in you?

IMO, THIS is the question that will prevent the Sox from attaining any top-level free agents.

If teams like the Cardinals, Yankees, Red Sox or Cubs are also interested in you, I'd have to think there are more positives ( real or preceived ) to joining any of those other teams over the White Sox. s***, the Tigers are drawing more good FA's than the Sox are these days...

Well...you answered one of the questions right there with money. And why not the Sox? It's been said that he really likes Chicago...he knows the American League...moreso the Central and knows the Sox would have a legit chance at winning. Maybe a little of the Ozzie factor could play in.

Oh what the hell...who am I kidding. Let's just go after some retreads like Dye or whoever and pray some of these guys have career years.

s***, the Tigers are drawing more good FA's than the Sox are these days...

and why is that?!? Cause they got the ball rolling with Pudge...showed great improvement...and are willing to spend some quiche. Not a tough formula to figure out IMO.

and why is that?!?  Cause they got the ball rolling with Pudge...showed great improvement...and are willing to spend some quiche.  Not a tough formula to figure out IMO.

To be fair, though, the Tigers had more wiggle room salary-wise when they signed Pudge than the Sox do now, self-imposed or not.

Tigers had no real high-salary guys, while the Sox have a few already.

Still, it all falls back to the Sox' "fiscal responsibility".

Well...you answered one of the questions right there with money.  And why not the Sox?  It's been said that he really likes Chicago...he knows the American League...moreso the Central and knows the Sox would have a legit chance at winning.  Maybe a little of the Ozzie factor could play in. 

Oh what the hell...who am I kidding.  Let's just go after some retreads like Dye or whoever and pray some of these guys have career years.

Ok, I'll play along. So you are saying that based on the factors you listed, we have an edge over say the Yankees, Red Sox and Angels....all of which are teams rumored to be interested in Beltran?

Angels or the Yankees will get him...IMO. Angels-World Series potential, some Latin players, great fans, great team, and have some money to give him. Yankees-World Series potential...duh, great coach, great fans(not to me though), great city, they have history, and have the money.

So your happy with Joe B as out startng RF  :huh:

No, but their is a difference between 17 million long term per season and Joe Borchard. Their are plenty of one to two year stop gap solutions until one of Anderson/Sweeney makes its way since their is at least a decent chance that at least one of them fizzles.

The Sox have a dire need for pitching. Their starting pitching was atrocious from pretty much the end of May on and their bullpen wasn't too grand either. I will be pissed off if the Sox do nothing to address their pitching woes in both the rotation and pen.

Just because Contreras is getting big money doesn't mean he's an ace and Freddy is going to have to pitch better with the Sox (hopefully he's healthy though and will put up numbers closer to what he did in Seattle during the first half) while Garland has to step it up a notch.

Face it the Sox rotation last season was terrible, while the offense ranked amongst the league leaders in numerous categories and it would of been even higher minus the two to three week strecth right after Maggs and Frank were deemed gone for the season.

After that the Sox offense once again picked things up and produced better then average, despite having Joe Borchard/Timo Perez, Ben Davis, and Joe Crede in the lineup on a pretty constant basis.

If the Sox want to add something, fine, add a leadoff hitter or a left handed bat/outfielder. Other then that, pitching is the priority. If after revamping the rotation the Sox have money to spend on Beltran, fine by me, go for it. The guy is an amazing pitcher, but offense isn't the problem, imo.

And I'm a huge fan of Beltran and would love to see him wearing Black and White, just not if it means the Sox don't add pitching.