FA Pitching

USAF_11F4H

Post All-Star Break

12-4 3.63 ERA

Your right God awe-ful numbers, why would we want anyone that can win on the Sox I guess :rolly

What about the first half?

I'm sure if you were around for the first half, you'd be ripping on KW for giving Colon so much money. :rolly

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

TheDybber, Garcia.. is a flyball pitcher, in USCF normal fly balls are now HR.

Everyone keeps telling me that Garcia is a flyball pitcher, but he's never thrown more flyballs than groundballs in his career. I find that interesting. I'm not saying that he's a groundball pitcher, but I think people have the wrong idea about him. He gets hitters out, and that's all that matters.

Post All-Star Break

12-4 3.63 ERA

Your right God awe-ful numbers, why would we want anyone that can win on the Sox I guess :rolly

How about taking a look at the first half? Or do you always just use the numbers that support your case? The guy is simply not a $13 million a year pitcher. He had 18 wins entirely because of the Angels' lineup, and his ERA would have been at least 5 on the year in the Cell if not more(It was over 5 anyways!). He had one fantastic year in 2002, but has been in the general vicinity of an ERA of 4 for every other season. There are MUCH better pitchers that you can get for that kind of money.

How exactly did you expect us to sign Colon when he wasn't a free agent before the 2003 season? Or did you want us to wait until after the 2003 season to get a quality pitcher and not even bother trying to be competitive for 2003?
:huh:

Can't read much huh?

instead of trying to sign Colon when we traded for him.

We aren't the Yankees with bottomless pockets,

100% agreed.. This is why we need a Gm who can build a farm system.. not tear one apart. Again I give you the Twins and Cubs.. Both were God Aweful, and now are among the best in baseball..

What about the first half?

I'm sure if you were around for the first half, you'd be ripping on KW for giving Colon so much money

Again It is not how you start.. It is how you finish..

:huh:

Can't read much huh?

instead of trying to sign Colon when we traded for him.

100% agreed.. This is why we need a Gm who can build a farm system.. not tear one apart.  Again I give you the Twins and Cubs.. Both were God Aweful, and now are among the best in baseball..

WHEN DID YOU WANT US TO SIGN HIM?

I asked you if instead of getting him for the 2003 season would you rather have us sit on our hands for 2003 and try to sign him for 2004. What's your choice?

I'll remember this come April when you're b****ing about how one of KW acquisitions isn't doing well, if you're not banned by then or the ignore feature is enabled.

Ok...I know, I know, I have to  :begood

But, Anthrax...how long have you been a baseball fan.  I'm talking like: have you followed the Sox since the Bob Lemon era, or the Jerry Manuel era?

It's been killing me.

Been a fan for about 20 years.. 1985 was the first year I started to watch/play the game.

Been a fan of the Sox for about 15.. For some dumb reason as a kid I loved the METS and Darryl Strawberry, Who BTW is up for a Hall vote.

He Should be a lock to get in

Been a fan for about 20 years.. 1985 was the first year I started to watch/play the game.

Been a fan of the Sox for about 15.. For some dumb reason as a kid I loved the METS and Darryl Strawberry, Who BTW is up for a Hall vote.

He Should be a lock to get in

Seriously, if you've really been a fan that long, you must be in your twenties or thirties. How did you get by that long without ever having a girlfriend, or any friends for that matter? I don't see how any human being could deal with you on a personal level, you're not just stubborn and totally unwilling to listen to the opposing argument, you're not very bright either.

Sorry about the personal attack everyone, Its just so frustrating...

I asked you if instead of getting him for the 2003 season would you rather have us sit on our hands for 2003 and try to sign him for 2004. What's your choice?

Before the start of the 03 season...we got him in Feb, that gave the brain powers 2 months b4 the start of the season.. It only took them what 2-3 weeks to sign Garcia to a deal.

I'll remember this come April when you're b****ing about how one of KW acquisitions isn't doing well, if you're not banned by then or the ignore feature is enabled.

Don't like hearing the truth about KW huh? And so Will I when we start off strong only to limp to 3rd place. If some of these deal you talk about happen.

I asked you if instead of getting him for the 2003 season you would rather have us sit on our hands for 2003 and try to sign him for 2004.  What's your choice? 

He was talking about signing him while he was already on our roster after we acquired him. For once I actually made sense of him. However, we offered him a rather large deal and he turned it down.

As for the starting/finishing thing, the Angels would have absolutely run away with the division if he had done anything in the first half, and a 3.6 ERA over half of a season isn't exactly stellar for a guy making that much money. Second, he didn't exactly help them out in the playoffs when they really need him to step up. He did what he always does during the second half. When he is his normal self, out of every 4 starts he'll give you one really good one, one pretty good one, one medicore one, and one where he is terrible. He's simply not an ace pitcher, any scout will tell you that. So why should we have paid him like one?

you're not just stubborn and totally unwilling to listen to the opposing argument,

This is and argument??

OO I thought it was just people bias blind opinions about the sox.. My bad I make sure to realize it from now on.

you're not very bright either

Neither is KW.. and look how far he has gotten...been able to make most of Sox Nation to think he can handle his job..

Before the start of the 03 season...we got him in Feb, that gave the brain powers 2 months b4 the start of the season.. It only took them what 2-3 weeks to sign Garcia to a deal.

Don't like hearing the truth about KW huh? And so Will I when we start off strong only to limp to 3rd place.  If some of these deal you talk about happen.

Seriously; would you rather have Colon for 2004-2007 at $51 million, or Garcia for 2005-2007 at $27 million?

I realize that had we re-signed Colon, we wouldn't have had to give up Reed and Olivo to get a quality starting pitcher. Reinsdorf isn't big on the idea of giving out huge contracts to pitchers (Thank Ron Schueler for his Jaime Navarro signing for that,) and there were some insiders saying how Colon didn't like pitching in Chicago, so there's no guarantee that he would've signed with the Sox before the 2003 season.

Go ahead and bash whomever you want in April (if you are still allowed to post) and I'll just keep saying "It's not how you start off, it's how you finish." I guess that the only way to get a point across with a poster like yourself.

Go ahead and bash whomever you want in April (if you are still allowed to post) and I'll just keep saying "It's not how you start off, it's how you finish."  I guess that the only way to get a point across with a poster like yourself.

I guess its not how you start, but how you finish... unless you are the GM of the Sox on Nov 30th...

He was talking about signing him while he was already on our roster after we acquired him. For once I actually made sense of him. However, we offered him a rather large deal and he turned it down.

As for the starting/finishing thing, the Angels would have absolutely run away with the division if he had done anything in the first half, and a 3.6 ERA isn't exactly stellar for a guy making that much money. Second, he didn't exactly help them out in the playoffs when they really need him to step up. He did what he always does during the second half. When he is his normal self, out of every 4 starts he'll give you one really good one, one pretty good one, one medicore one, and one where he is terrible. He's simply not an ace pitcher, any scout will tell you that. So why should we have paid him like one?

After going through his pathetic grammar skills, I figured it out.

He should've have said "instead of trying to sign Colon to an extension when we traded for him."

or

"instead of trying to re-sign Colon when we traded for him."

or

"instead of trying to sign Colon to a longer deal when we traded for him."

Either way, I would rather have Garcia over Colon. ;)

Seriously;  would you rather have Colon for 2004-2007 at $51 million, or Garcia for 2005-2007 at $27 million?

I realize that had we re-signed Colon, we wouldn't have had to give up Reed and Olivo to get a quality starting pitcher.  Reinsdorf isn't big on the idea of giving out huge contracts to pitchers (Thank Ron Schueler for his Jaime Navarro signing for that,) and there were some insiders saying how Colon didn't like pitching in Chicago, so there's no guarantee that he would've signed with the Sox before the 2003 season. 

Go ahead and bash whomever you want in April (if you are still allowed to post) and I'll just keep saying "It's not how you start off, it's how you finish."  I guess that the only way to get a point across with a poster like yourself.

I would take Colon, Reed and Olivo over Garcia, davis and empty OF

Now how much more is it going to cost us for an OF ?

Navvaro was the worst signing in Sox history.. could have had Roger Clemens, but Ronny said he was washed up... :chair

Why would I not be allowed to post? I only speak the truth. :headbang

Back to the original topic, which was FA pitchers...

I honestly think that if they don't manage to get Randy Johnson that they will eventually get one of the starters on the market. There aren't that many teams that have significant sums of money to throw around. If the Yankees get Johnson and Beltran, I can't imagine they'll still get more than one starter, if they even do that. Boston will probably get one, or in a longshot two of them, and the Mets/Angels could both get one, and maybe Baltimore. Those are about the only teams (I'm probably missing one or two) that are able/willing to add a major starting pitcher. This leads me to believe that the Sox will get one of the free agents after most of the big money teams have signed their guy, basically whoever draws the least interest of guys like Perez, Radke, Clement, and Ortiz.

Navvaro was the worst signing in Sox history.. could have had Roger Clemens, but Ronny said he was washed up... :chair

Why would I not be allowed to post?  I only speak the truth.  :headbang

Even I was never this bad.

Colon just isn't consistant enough. I'm sorry but there is no way in hell I would want him for 12 mil a year.

Why would I not be allowed to post?  I only speak the truth.  :headbang

Well, guess what, you ain't gonna get it, so deal with it. You've got Garcia and Davis.

And as for the topic at hand. I'm guessing the Sox will get a Jaret Wright or an Odalis Perez. Those are the ones K-Dub is going to look for...I think.

Radke...too pricey

Ortiz...going to TB (I think it's his hometown)

Milton...NYY

Pavano...Red Sox

Martinez...Mets or Red Sox, probably Red Sox

RJ...Cardinals or NYY, I hope Cardinals, just because I can't stand the Yankees.

It isn't exactly difficult to find someone that can do a decent job in the outfiled for the $14 mil over 3 years difference in commitment between Colon and Garcia. You're assuming that Reed is going to be an impact player (or at least decent), which is completely premature considering that he has only 18 major league games under his belt. I'm not 100% sold that he can hit .275 over a full year, the guy hasn't exactly been playing well for that long on any level (basically a year and a half that looks good) and could easily be a fluke. We could probably get Jermaine Dye for less than that, who I have more faith in doing something in the next couple of years (yeah, I know health is an issue).

What we need to focus on in an outfielder is someone who can lead off...

I still believe we could get the Yankees to pay loftons salary in full just for a couple of decent prospects since their farm system is dead. I mean i'll be the first to admit Lofton wouldn't be my first choice but free is free.