Is it getting better?

jasonxctf

the end of the month, means sombering news with regards to the US invasion of Iraq. In total, 1,121 soldiers have died since we invaded the country on 3/20/03. We have been fighting the war for nearly 620 days. With an average US casulty loss of about 2 people per day.

June- 42 Died

July- 54 Died

August- 65 Died

September- 80 Died

October- 63 Died

November- 135 Died

I ask this question... is it really getting better or are we down a Vietnam-like path where this will continue for years to come.

First and foremost, sympathy and good thoughts for the families of all those killed and wounded in the war, and thanks to those men and women putting themselves in harm's way for something they hopefully still believe in.

As for "Is it getting better?", that is a rhetorical question with no need for an answer other than to watch the money flow into the war, the bodies pile up on both sides, and the growing disdain the rest of the world rightly feels toward this country.

Very powerful post Jim, but personally I'm not sure what I think of the situation in Iraq right now.

I don't think I know enough about the conditions of the Iraqi people before, or how they are now to really understand the situation. And frankly I think this is the case for most of us mere civilians, but we are unwilling to admit it.

Yes, they do. And?

My point is, the death of people on 9/11 is I think around the same as the American combatant death total. What is it all for? It just doesn't make sense. By the time terrorism is eradicated(impossible) how many will have to died? What the hell are they fighting for?

My point is, the death of people on 9/11 is I think around the same as the American combatant death total.  What is it all for?  It just doesn't make sense.  By the time terrorism is eradicated(impossible) how many will have to died?  What the hell are they fighting for?

It doesn't matter what they're fighting for.

Even if they're fighting for the smallest thing that could be sought, it is still a war.

Deaths happen in war, and some people act like it's some sort of new thing that people are dying doing what they're country thinks is best for us.

I'm not saying we should just ignore the deaths and write them off. I appreciate the folks out there fighting for what our country thinks is best for us, whether or not I agree with what the reasoning is. There are always the people who will oppose a war, no matter what kind of war it is. Millions died to get rid of Nazi Germany, are those deaths a waste too? Maybe some good will come out of people dying in this war. We already have Saddam out of power, which is a plus from of a defensive standpoint, whether or not he has weapons of mass destruction.

Millions died to get rid of Hitler.

1,000+ have died to get rid of Saddam.

Saddam in comparison is an ant to Hitler. People die to get rid of tyrants, and I'm sure that you're happy that millions aren't dying to get rid of Saddam.

We already have Saddam out of power, which is a plus from of a defensive standpoint, whether or not he has weapons of mass destruction.

Many would debate if getting Saddam out of power outweighs the amount of hate generated for America during their liberation or invasion, whatever. So I don't think it is clear that it has been a plus defensively.

----------

I am almost certain there are more tyrannical leaders than Hussein out there right now. But I'm no expert on this so... yah whatever

Many would debate if getting Saddam out of power outweighs the amount of hate generated for America during their liberation or invasion, whatever.  So I don't think it is clear that it has been a plus defensively.

----------

I am almost certain there are more tyrannical leaders than Hussein out there right now. But I'm no expert on this so... yah whatever

There probably are, which is why Saddam hasn't cost us 100,000 lives.

Those people in the middle east already hated us(with the excepetion of few countries), even before we went to get Saddam and to find weapons of mass destruction. Maybe some Iraqi's hate us now, too bad for them, they'll like it when they're government is a democracy and the good things settle in.

There probably are, which is why Saddam hasn't cost us 100,000 lives.

Those people in the middle east already hated us(with the excepetion of few countries), even before we went to get Saddam and to find weapons of mass destruction. Maybe some Iraqi's hate us now, too bad for them, they'll like it when they're government is a democracy and the good things settle in.

Exactly how is it going to get better faster? Their country has been destroyed by bombs. We are rebuilding their country, repairing the infrastructure, etc. This is costing us billions of dollars. We destroy a school and then rebuild it.

How long do you think we will be paying to rebuild that country? How long do you think it will take to rebuild their country?

How would you feel if there were tanks rumbling down your street? How would you feel if you had to watch where you traveled or else get caught next to a suspected terrorists. These people are living in a war zone! Do you really think their lives are better at this moment then they were before? Would you like to live in a war zone? And why should they believe a democracy will work for them and make their lives better? Hell millions of Americans don't think much of democracy with the voter turnout last month.

Their country has just been destroyed by US bombs. We have conquered their country. We are in charge. We have been at this for a long time and it will be a long time before their country is even close to normal.

Exactly how is it going to get better faster? Their country has been destroyed by bombs. We are rebuilding their country, repairing the infrastructure, etc. This is costing us billions of dollars. We destroy a school and then rebuild it.

How long do you think we will be paying to rebuild that country? How long do you think it will take to rebuild their country?

How would you feel if there were tanks rumbling down your street? How would you feel if you had to watch where you traveled or else get caught next to a suspected terrorists. These people are living in a war zone! Do you really think their lives are better at this moment then they were before? Would you like to live in a war zone? And why should they believe a democracy will work for them and make their lives better? Hell millions of Americans don't think much of democracy with the voter turnout last month.

Their country has just been destroyed by US bombs. We have conquered their country. We are in charge. We have been at this for a long time and it will be a long time before their country is even close to normal.

What if Dubya somehow became a tyrant like Hitler? Say he becomes a dictator. Say he takes our rights and shoots people for speaking out.

I know for sure I could live with some tanks going down my street if it would take out a dictator. Freedom is undervalued! If I have to live in a country being rebuilded slowly, but still have my freedom, I'll be happy. I really don't know about you and if you think differently than that's fine/

The point is, what freedom? We gave them freedom of the press but closed down newspapers we thought were too incendiary before the CPA gave up power. We've installed an interim government headed by an Iraqi that most people refer to as a "thug." Iraq is under Martial Law until ten days before their scheduled election.

Point is, it is a tough time in our American society, but we need to fight on with this unpopular war.

And then goes to the issue of Korea, stopping them would put an end to any major threats to our society, or so I think.

I just know that war happens, and people die in order to reduce and minimize threats.