SN Report: Sox Announce 25 Man Roster

Chisoxfn

By Mario Scalise

March 29, 2003

SoxNet.net

The White Sox made their 25-man roster official on Saturday by reassigning second baseman Aaron Miles and optioning lefty pitcher Dave Sanders to the minors.

The White Sox indicated earlier in the week that they will carry three catchers instead of outfielders Willie Harris and Joe Borchard -- who they cut on Wednesday -- or Miles, but kept Miles as a precaution.

Miles, who entered spring training as a long-shot, drew interest from manager Jerry Manuel, and up until this week, was close to topping D'Angelo Jimenez for the starting job at second. He finished the spring with a .303 batting average, one home run, 10 RBIs and 20 runs scored.

Dave Sanders was in a similiar situation heading into Tuscon -- battling for the lefty reliever role in the pen behind Damaso Marte -- pitched in just two innings, giving up no runs and one hit.

Here is the 25-man roster with the projected lineup and rotation:

Lineup: 2B-D'Angelo Jimenez, SS-Jose Valentin, DH-Frank Thomas, RF-Magglio Ordonez, 1B-Paul Konerko, LF-Carlos Lee, 3B-Joe Crede, C-Sandy Alomar, CF-Aaron Rowand.

Rotation: #1-Mark Buehrle, #2-Bartolo Colon, #3-Jon Garland, #4-Esteban Loaiza, #5-Josh Stewart.

Bullpen: Billy Koch, Damaso Marte, Tom Gordon, Kelly Wunsch, Rick White, Gary Glover.

Bench: 1B/RF-Brian Daubach, INF-Tony Graffanino, C-Miguel Olivo, OF-Armando Rios, C/LF-Josh Paul.

I am interested in that as well. I am hoping Josh can come in and pitch lights out. Heck, just give us a 4.50 ERA or so and I'll be very very happy, cause that on the backend of the rotation would be very good, especially for a guy in his first season. I hope he is tough mentally and can handle a potential failure, cause it isn't going to be easy.

By Mario Scalise

March 29, 2003

SoxNet.net

The White Sox made their 25-man roster official on Saturday by reassigning second baseman Aaron Miles and optioning lefty pitcher Dave Sanders to the minors.

The White Sox indicated earlier in the week that they will carry three catchers instead of outfielders Willie Harris and Joe Borchard -- who they cut on Wednesday -- or Miles, but kept Miles as a precaution.

Miles, who entered spring training as a long-shot, drew interest from manager Jerry Manuel, and up until this week, was close to topping D'Angelo Jimenez for the starting job at second. He finished the spring with a .303 batting average, one home run, 10 RBIs and 20 runs scored.

Dave Sanders was in a similiar situation heading into Tuscon -- battling for the lefty reliever role in the pen behind Damaso Marte -- pitched in just two innings, giving up no runs and one hit.

Here is the 25-man roster with the projected lineup and rotation:

Lineup: 2B-D'Angelo Jimenez, SS-Jose Valentin, DH-Frank Thomas, RF-Magglio Ordonez, 1B-Paul Konerko, LF-Carlos Lee, 3B-Joe Crede, C-Sandy Alomar, CF-Aaron Rowand.

Rotation: #1-Mark Buehrle, #2-Bartolo Colon, #3-Jon Garland, #4-Esteban Loaiza, #5-Josh Stewart.

Bullpen: Billy Koch, Damaso Marte, Tom Gordon, Kelly Wunsch, Rick White, Gary Glover.

Bench: 1B/RF-Brian Daubach, INF-Tony Graffanino, C-Miguel Olivo, OF-Armando Rios, C/LF-Josh Paul.

Can't belive we have to carry 3 catchers, other than that//looks good

Roster as expected except the 3 catchers and out 4-5 starters

Now if Loaiza and Stewart both have ERAs under 4 by..lets say, next month, do we keep them? Or do we give the job back to Wright?

If Loaiza&Stewart does a heck of a job, I say we keep them in the rotation. It should go to the most deserving, and Wright should have to earn his job back the hard way.

Now if Loaiza and Stewart both have ERAs under 4 by..lets say, next month, do we keep them? Or do we give the job back to Wright?

If Loaiza&Stewart does a heck of a job, I say we keep them in the rotation. It should go to the most deserving, and Wright should have to earn his job back the hard way.

I absoulutely disagree. If Dan Wright is healthy he deserves a spot in the rotation until he proves otherwise. He proved last year what he can do. When he comes back even if Josh and Esteban are pitching well, Josh should move to the pen or AAA.

It is a bad statement to make to a team that an injury can cost you a job.

I absoulutely disagree. If Dan Wright is healthy he deserves a spot in the rotation until he proves otherwise. He proved last year what he can do. When he comes back even if Josh and Esteban are pitching well, Josh should move to the pen or AAA.

I say exact opposite. If they pitch well, they deserve to keep their jobs. Just because Wright got alot of wins last year, it doesnt mean he can just regain his spot in the rotation after injury by doing nothing. If someones doing well, stick with them. Enough with the tinkering. :nono

I say exact opposite. If they pitch well, they deserve to keep their jobs. Just because Wright got alot of wins last year, it doesnt mean he can just regain his spot in the rotation after injury by doing nothing. If someones doing well, stick with them. Enough with the tinkering. :nono

I don't think it is tinkering for a Dan Wright to get back the job he earned last year. Even if Stewart pitches OK for April what will he have, 3 or 4 starts?

Now if Wright comes back and doesn't pitch well, I have no problem going back to Stewart. Plus I have got to imagine that Stewart knows he is only the fifth starter becaue Danny got hurt. He has got to know that his is coming.

It's just like Kurt Warner and what's his face from last year....I can't even remember. Martz said that just because Warner got hurt didn't mean that he was going to lose his job. I agree.

If Wright loses his job, for instance, pitching absolutely god-awful for two months or so....than it is considerable. Otherwise....no. Wright gets his spot back. Everyone gets hurt....and they shouldn't lose their job because of a minor setback.

It's just like Kurt Warner and what's his face from last year....I can't even remember.  Martz said that just because Warner got hurt didn't mean that he was going to lose his job.  I agree. 

If Wright loses his job, for instance, pitching absolutely god-awful for two months or so....than it is considerable.  Otherwise....no.  Wright gets his spot back.  Everyone gets hurt....and they shouldn't lose their job because of a minor setback.

And no one should lose a job due to good pitching :nono

It's just like Kurt Warner and what's his face from last year....I can't even remember.  Martz said that just because Warner got hurt didn't mean that he was going to lose his job.  I agree. 

If Wright loses his job, for instance, pitching absolutely god-awful for two months or so....than it is considerable.  Otherwise....no.  Wright gets his spot back.  Everyone gets hurt....and they shouldn't lose their job because of a minor setback.

You know wut wsf..we've been disagreeing alot lately :fyou :D

It's just like Kurt Warner and what's his face from last year....I can't even remember.  Martz said that just because Warner got hurt didn't mean that he was going to lose his job.  I agree.  

If Wright loses his job, for instance, pitching absolutely god-awful for two months or so....than it is considerable.  Otherwise....no.  Wright gets his spot back.  Everyone gets hurt....and they shouldn't lose their job because of a minor setback.

You know wut wsf..we've been disagreeing alot lately :fyou :D

I'd say "Yeah, we are", but then we'd be agreeing! :lol:

It's a good question to have....and I'm sure JM will tinker out a way to get it right.

If Stewart and Loiaza are pitching phenomenal then it just means Wright will come into the bullpen and have a little more of an adjustment period. After that, I don't think you can mess with the rotation. I like Wright a ton, but if everyone is pitching awesome, then no point in making a change, use Wright in another way. Its a great problem to have, imo.

I learned to like him a lot, but I still believe he needs some time in AAA to prove himself. If he can do similar things to last year in AAA, then he'll earn his shot with the Sox and may be the starting 2nd baseman next year with Jimenez at short.