Netherlands Hospital Euthanizes Babies

Texsox

Netherlands Hospital Euthanizes Babies, Ethical, Moral?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Netherlands Hospital Euthanizes Babies, Ethical, Moral?

• Yes. End their suffering
    • No. Let Nature/God/Fate run it's course
    • Too tough a call

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20041130/D86MEAA80.html

AMSTERDAM, Netherlands (AP) - A hospital in the Netherlands - the first nation to permit euthanasia - recently proposed guidelines for mercy killings of terminally ill newborns, and then made a startling revelation: It has already begun carrying out such procedures, which include administering a lethal dose of sedatives.

The announcement by the Groningen Academic Hospital came amid a growing discussion in Holland on whether to legalize euthanasia on people incapable of deciding for themselves whether they want to end their lives - a prospect viewed with horror by euthanasia opponents and as a natural evolution by advocates.

knight, abortions are done to end a pregnancy.

These euthanasions (whatever the term is) are mercy-killings to born children.

Absolutely not! Where do you stop?

"Oh, we didn't want a brown eyed baby - euthanize it, let's try again, honey."

Huh?

The reasons listed were all extremely serious medical conditions, not trivial physical traits.

knight, abortions are done to end a pregnancy.

These euthanasions (whatever the term is) are mercy-killings to born children.

Huh?

The reasons listed were all extremely serious medical conditions, not trivial physical traits.

You believe that? Yeah, and Illinois is going to do away with the tolls as soon as the bonds are paid for. :puke

It's just the beginning.

Actually, the hospital in question did set up a strict protocol and notified the government of its actions. I don't know where I stand on this. Personally, I don't believe in forced euthanasia, but I'm not sure I believe in permanent life support for terminal patients who'll never be able to live without it. This is definitely disturbing, but I'm not a doctor - and I don't know enough about the specifics to make any judgment.

It just raises the ethical question that's sort of the mirror to euthanasia. At what point does it become unethical to let someone die naturally?

Yeah, I don't usually subscribe to fallacious slippery slope bulls***.

This is similar how?

So my opinion is "slippery slope bulls***"? Either way, who are we and who are doctors to say who deserves to live and who deserves to die because they be a nuisance? I'm not God.

It's similar because you shouldn't believe what they tell you all the time.

So my opinion is "slippery slope bulls***"?

Yes. There is no indication this euthanasia would turn into snap decisions based on trivial situations.

Either way, who are we and who are doctors to say who deserves to live and who deserves to die because they be a nuisance?

We are rational, compassionate human beings.

It's similar because you shouldn't believe what they tell you all the time.

It would argument is more comparable to saying the toll authorities are going to raise the rate to $1000/stop.

Yes. There is no indication this euthanasia would turn into snap decisions based on trivial situations.

Thanks. I appreciate that.

Compassionate? Only some of us, apparently. I don't pick and choose who I'm comapssionate to by their ability to breath on their own or walk or whatever.

Have any of you ever walked through a nursing home? I have work in a couiple and some people are just shells and it's most often a blessing when they go. If we can put a loved pet down, we should have the compassion to do the same with our loved ones. That being said, I don't think I could "put down" my child or anyone personally. I watched my mother-in-law die a slow, painful death. Hospice is a wonderful thing.