DJ costs...

Queen Prawn

I got a quote from the company a friend does DJing through and for 5.5 hours of Djing it is $750.00  - it seems to be the middle of the road for costs.

Does this seem excessive to anyone?  :huh:

Sounds about right and it's the biggest rip off of the entire wedding. They say a few things and play records, big F'N deal.

Tip, make sure you look at his play list and tell him EXACTLY what you want and don't want to hear. Otherwise you'll get stuck with all the typical, cheesy wedding BS. You're paying, so you own him....or her.

You mean to tell me there is a thing as a "Good" wedding DJ??

I went to a wedding in California and the DJ used all MP3s and when the Best Man did his speech he asked the fathers and friends to say a few words. Well, it was pretty emotional. Then at the end of the night, during the last song, snippets of these speeches were spliced into the song. It was some good stuff. Everybody was teary-eyed. :crying THAT was a good DJ!

I was a wedding DJ at a bowling alley banquet hall in Round Lake. What could be sadder :lol:

Get a copy of his available music, ask for an equipment list, talk with the banquet hall, and make certain the DJ understands you do not want a show, you just want some tunes played. But what you really need is Here

My Kid Bro and me are throwing a surprise 60th birthday party for my folks next weekend (YES! I get to make a commando Chicago visit). We've already caughed up a couple K to rent a room with dinner and open bar for 100 people, so it's basically on par with a medium-sized weding.

So when it came ime to figure out music my Bro asked how much we should shell out for a DJ and I said, screw that, we're going with "DJ iPod."

I've spent the last week or so putting together an early set, dinner set, late set, and after hours set of music, with each set being approximately one hour more than is needed. That way when I randomm-play the setlists even I'll be surprised at what comes on next.

$30 PA rental, killer tunes custom selected by someone who klnows the tastes of my folks and those in atttendence, plenty of drunk folks to embarrass themselves at the mic making stupid speeches... We're all set.

My Kid Bro and me are throwing a surprise 60th birthday party for my folks next weekend (YES! I get to make a commando Chicago visit).  We've already caughed up a couple K to rent a room with dinner and open bar for 100 people, so it's basically on par with a medium-sized weding.

So when it came ime to figure out music my Bro asked how much we should shell out for a DJ and I said, screw that, we're going with "DJ iPod."

I've spent the last week or so putting together an early set, dinner set, late set, and after hours set of music, with each set being approximately one hour more than is needed.  That way when I randomm-play the setlists even I'll be surprised at what comes on next.

$30 PA rental, killer tunes custom selected by someone who klnows the tastes of my folks and those in atttendence, plenty of drunk folks to embarrass themselves at the mic making stupid speeches... We're all set.

The only problem with random play is pacing during the dance portion. A good DJ will feel the room and can get a dance floor and party going.

Of course that is one in a few dozen DJs. You may think about at the minimum organizing the dance music, looking at tempo more than musical genres.

Ah, so we just figured out what the Critic does for a living ;)  :lol:

( cues up the Alan Parsons Project )

"WELL, AWWWWL RAAAAAAAAHT, EVRYBODAAAY, LESSS HEAR IT FOR THE WEDDING PAAAAARTYYYYYYY!!! AND SPEAKING OF PAAAAARRRRTAAAAAYYYY, THAT's EXAAAAACTLY WHAT WE'RE GUNNA DOOO ONCE THE DINNER IS OVERRRRR!!!!!"

"AAAAAAAAAND NOW.......YOUR NEWLYWEEEEEEEEEEEEED COUPLLLLLLLLLLLLE!!!!!!"

:puke :puke :puke :puke :puke :puke :puke

:puke :puke :puke :puke :puke :puke :puke

Nothing worse than that.....NOTHING......my cousin got married recently and his DJ had the stupid inflatable guitar and went out on the dance floor and "balloon solo'ed" during "Stranglehold"......Stranglehold, by the way, NOT really my first choice for a wedding reception song......but maybe that's cuz I think Ted Nugent completely, totally and eternally sucks ass.

The only problem with random play is pacing during the dance portion. A good DJ will feel the room and can get a dance floor and party going.

Of course that is one in a few dozen DJs. You may think about  at the minimum organizing the dance music, looking at tempo more than musical genres.

You are exactly right, but since I loathe your average wedding dancefloor scene I don't mind. :D

I actually used to DJ school dances and such waaay back, and I think that I could be a kick-ass weekend digital DJ for weddings and such. I'd run two iPods on a Powerbook, with the arrival/early/dinner/dance/special and ending setlists in place but with the play order set only a song in advance based on what the moment calls for. That primary content would be firewire input. The second iPod would be USB input and would hold 40 GB of incidental request music (All legal, mind you) so you could slip in basically anything that gets requested at any time.

A week or more before the event the bride and groom can get any special requests and custom event programming hammered out. There's even some pretty good vocal scrubbing software so if need be, you can make any song an ad hoc karaoke track (*shudder*), in case that drunk uncle insists on singing Proud Mary. :D

( cues up the Alan Parsons Project )

"WELL, AWWWWL RAAAAAAAAHT, EVRYBODAAAY, LESSS HEAR IT FOR THE WEDDING PAAAAARTYYYYYYY!!!  AND SPEAKING OF PAAAAARRRRTAAAAAYYYY, THAT's EXAAAAACTLY WHAT WE'RE GUNNA DOOO ONCE THE DINNER IS OVERRRRR!!!!!"

"AAAAAAAAAND NOW.......YOUR NEWLYWEEEEEEEEEEEEED COUPLLLLLLLLLLLLE!!!!!!"

LMAO

Some people actually WANT that as their intro.

Personally, now-a-days, I think the Imperial theme from Star Wars is more appropriate... :ph34r:

Another tip: Variety. You have to cater the music to everyone's different taste's and include a little bit of everything. Remember, the older people want to dance and have fun too.

Also, it has to be DANCE music. I've been to "metal" weddings, where the music was extremely loud, blaring speed metal, because that's what the couple enjoyed and they just said screw everyone else. Those usually clear out in about an hour and all that's left is like the bride's drunk cousin headbanging on the dance floor by himself.