Anthrax 1st Week Sales

The Critic

Check out the loooooooooooooooooooooow number:

ANTHRAX's brand new album, "The Greater of Two Evils", has sold 3,421 copies in the United States in its first week of release, according to Nielsen SoundScan.

"The Greater of Two Evils", available on Sanctuary Records, is a trip down memory lane, featuring 14 tracks of ANTHRAX classics, re-recorded and updated with the vocal potency of longtime singer John Bush. The entire track listing was culled from an Internet voting campaign at Anthrax.com in appreciation of their fans, and in anticipation of the band's proposed 2005 anniversary world tour. A video for an updated version of the classic cut "Deathrider" has been posted online at NuclearBlast.de (Real Media).

ANTHRAX's last collection of new original material, "We've Come For You All", has sold 61,561 in the U.S. since its May 2003 release.

MAN, that's a bad first week! I guess we can expect more "America sucks for heavy metal" rants from Scott and Charlie - not saying they're wrong, but they gotta get over it already.

And FWIW, I thought We've Come For You All was a pretty solid record.

MAN, that's a bad first week! I guess we can expect more "America sucks for heavy metal" rants from Scott and Charlie - not saying they're wrong, but they gotta get over it already.

Does he mean America sucks at producing heavy metal bands? Because that's a f***ing joke. Killswitch Engage, Lamb of God, Unearth, God Forbid, Shadows Fall, and Mastodon would have something to say about it.

And as far as sales go the new Killswitch, and Shadows Fall have sold very well.

Does he mean America sucks at producing heavy metal bands? Because that's a f***ing joke. Killswitch Engage, Lamb of God, Unearth, God Forbid, Shadows Fall, and Mastodon would have something to say about it.

And as far as sales go the new Killswitch, and Shadows Fall have sold very well.

Huge metalhead here.

Lamb of God and Shaddows Fall are singlehandedly bringing back American metal. If you're into those two, check out our Chicago boys, Dead to Fall. If you haven't heard them yet, you'll love what you here. They are Zao meets Atreyu.

No, not producing metal bands, supporting them.

They constantly b**** and whine about how Europe is AWESOME and yet they're ignored in America. How they play large venues in Europe and clubs in America. Etc etc etc....it doesn't matter if other bands sell well, if Anthrax is ignored, then in their minds METAL is ignored.

I like Anthrax a lot, but their complaints get old real fast.

Gotta chime in!!!

The US does pretty much SUCK for Metal. Both in bands and in fanbase. Yes, some bands are bringing it back, such as Shadows Fall, but they are doing it by means of learning from Sweden, which in turn morphed Iron Maiden with Death Metal. Overseas bands such as Lacuna Coil dominate, while in the US we get the pale and terrible watered down version known as Evansense. There is GREAT Metal overseas, and those bands are surviving very well, such as Children Of Bodom, but in the US they remain fairly unknown. But bands that can draw, such as Metallica, choose to attach themselves to Nu Metal bands instead of showing quality music that was truely inspired by what they did in the 80's.

As for those sales of Anthrax, I am a bit shocked they are so high. But then again, look at how well new releases by Warrant, Brett Michaels, and all of the other BIG names from the 80's do. Most of hem never break out of the 100's on the first week. Hell, I've never toured the world and sold out arenas, but almost as many people have my recent stuff as have Brett Michaels! :lol: :o

:melt

Gotta chime in!!!

The US does pretty much SUCK for Metal. Both in bands and in fanbase. Yes, some bands are bringing it back, such as Shadows Fall, but they are doing it by means of learning from Sweden, which in turn morphed Iron Maiden with Death Metal. Overseas bands such as Lacuna Coil dominate, while in the US we get the pale and terrible watered down version known as Evansense. There is GREAT Metal overseas, and those bands are surviving very well, such as Children Of Bodom, but in the US they remain fairly unknown. But bands that can draw, such as Metallica, choose to attach themselves to Nu Metal bands instead of showing quality music that was truely inspired by what they did in the 80's.

You're forgetting about the BEST imports out of Sweden: Meshuggah, Opeth, and The Haunted

In comparison, American metal bands are complete and utter s*** compared to European metal, more specifically Scandinavian metal. Europe is always on the leading edge musically (Krautrock, Post-Rock, ambient, etc etc), and this genre is no different.

Meshuggah slays. Awesome metal.

The Sweedish metal influence is obviously a major player in this new wave of American metal. Iron-Maide-esq guitars and hardcore vocals are the new thing. Wow, even some metal heads on this board. Rock on fellas, count me in for metal talk.

I'm telling you though...Dead to Fall (Midwest originators)

EDIT: Metal fans, don't leave out In Flames.

Meshuggah slays.  Awesome metal.

The Sweedish metal influence is obviously a major player in this new wave of American metal.  Iron-Maide-esq guitars and hardcore vocals are the new thing.  Wow, even some metal heads on this board.  Rock on fellas, count me in for metal talk.

I'm telling you though...Dead to Fall (Midwest originators)

EDIT: Metal fans, don't leave out In Flames.

I saw Meshuggah on tour with Strapping Young Lad a year or so ago. What an awesome show. Though seeing the stuff off of "Nothing" played live didn't make me like that album anymore. It was just flat out a bad CD. Hoping the new stuff is more like Chaosphere.

When I was in Chicago over the spring I caught In Flames and Killswitch at the Vic, and I have to say In Flames bored the hell out of me. I wish Killswitch wasn't headlining that particular show so I could have left when In Flames came on.

I was flipping thorogh to the metal channel on my digital cable and caught the last 20 seconds or so of a Dead to Fall song. Sorry, it didn't do a whole lot for me.

In comparison, American metal bands are complete and utter s*** compared to European metal, more specifically Scandinavian metal. Europe is always on the leading edge musically (Krautrock, Post-Rock, ambient, etc etc), and this genre is no different.

I guess it's just a matter of opinion. I like the American sound a lot better than most Euro bands. I only listen to a few foriegn bands (all of them mentioned in this thread) for the most part the metal coming out of europe ain't my cup of tea. I'm not really a Death Metal or Black Metal(sans Opeth, but they're border line Black at best) or any metal that's just blast beats and cookie moster growls, or that write song about Vikings.

In Flames "Whoracle" was their highpoint. They have since become redundant. Their cover of "Everything Counts" is one of the greatest covers ever done.

One thing I noticed when I saw them was that the singer seemed to almost whipser when he sang. It was a whole lot of whispering and redundant riffs.