Arizona is crazy

Mr. Showtime

Cheat posted the link to what Rosenthal said about Johnson, this is just mind blowing to me. I thought it deserved it's own thread.

If this is what they're asking, they are in for some trouble.

EDIT: Stark said Johnson would be willing to go to the Angels or the Cardinals. St. Louis won't play this game either. I could see the Angels, but they're focused on Beltran.

Johnson, 41, is owed $16 million next season in the final year of his contract and likely would require a contract extension to waive his no-trade clause. The Yankees are willing to meet that condition, but their talks with the Diamondbacks broke down when the teams could not reach agreement on either an exchange of money or players.

Vazquez, 28, is owed $35.5 million over the next three seasons, or $19.5 million more than the Diamondbacks owe Johnson. That difference is one sticking point. The Diamondbacks want the Yankees to cover all of it, according to a source with knowledge of the negotiations. The Yankees are willing to pay about two-thirds.

In addition to Vazquez, the source says, the Diamondbacks initially asked the Yankees to acquire one of 10 pitchers from another club for inclusion in the deal. The 10 pitchers on the D-Backs' wish list were the A's Tim Hudson and Barry Zito, Marlins' A.J. Burnett, Dodgers' Edwin Jackson, Devil Rays' Scott Kazmir, Rangers' Kenny Rogers, Blue Jays' Ted Lilly, Tigers' Jeremy Bonderman, Marlins' A.J. Burnett and Rockies' Jason Jennings and Shawn Chacon.

The Diamondbacks told the Yankees that they would not participate in three-way discussions, forcing the Yankees to obtain one of those pitchers — Chacon being by far the most available — without additional help. They also asked the Yankees for several prospects in addition to Vazquez, the second pitcher and the $19.5 million.

When those talks went nowhere, the Diamondbacks amended their request to Vazquez, reliever Tom Gordon and left-hander Brad Halsey, plus the $19.5 million and prospects. The Yankees said they wound not trade Gordon, and countered with a proposal of Vazquez, Halsey, lefthander Alex Graman and a prospect that the Diamondbacks had wanted, along with a significant cash payment, believed to be between $10 million and $15 million.

The Diamondbacks made two last bids on Tuesday, asking for Vazquez, Gordon and Halsey plus the $19.5 million or Vazquez, the Rockies' Chacon, Halsey, prospects and $19.5 million. The Yankees called the Rockies about Chacon, and the Rockies provided a list of names they would consider in trade discussions, according to a major-league source.

Holy s***. Upon this revelation the Dbacks are absolutely freaking nuts. The more I thought about it I was thinking a Vazquez, Gordon, Duncan swap with the cash would of been a good deal for them.

LMAO at their demands. If I were any team I'd tell em to f off.

Ok, think of it this way. Vazquez, Chacon, 19.5 mill, and a prospect. That seems doable, well it would if the Rocks didn't know they now hold the Yanks by the balls and could ask them for pretty much anything.

I think the hold up has to be on money and if they are going to do all that they aren't gonna send that much cash. Still the Dbacks probably think George wants him that bad.

But they'll be in shock when no team makes that offer and they either have to significantly drop the price or wait till midseason (and god forbid he's hurt then) cause then the Dbacks are royally screwed because he becomes a FA and can leave.

I know he likes Arizona, but the org has treated him like s*** during the past year (allegedly). I could see him moving on.

I read it as Arizona is in kind of a weak bargaining position, RJ has limitted their options, and the money on his contract limits them even more... If they wanna get more from any team, they have to quote some ridiculously high demands, and work their way to some type of middle ground..

But yeah, Zona's crazy...

Also, they are looking to add Royce Clayton, Shawn Estes, and Tony bautista. -- http://www.azcentral.com/sports/diamondbac...ksmain1201.html

Their ownership/gm is so screwed up. They may have a world series ring but I feel sorry for that franchise. They are being ran into the ground and might as well be contracted because of their poor business decisions. That team is so far in debt it isn't even funny.

Absurd.

Then again, I suppose its better to want too much than not enough. Kudos for attempting to pull of something crazy. Baseball is a game of whims, perhaps the Diamondbacks wanted to over-shoot and just hope the Yankees were on board for doing something of this magnitude.

Why not ask for a completely awesome package to begin with?

If no one takes it that move back down to realism.

It can't hurt and could only help, if some GM has a hard on for RJ.

At the same time you risk the teams interested moving in another direction and filling those needs. Then they may not have near the pieces available as they would near the beginning of if it were to happen near the beginning of the offseason.

At the same time if the teams don't fill those needs, then they could have more pressure later in the offseason.

Still I think nows a good time for the Dbacks to move RJ and if they dick around it could really bite them in the ass. They got to make sure to make a smart deal, but they also have to realize they aren't good enough to compete and that they should be thinking 2-3 years from now.

At the same time you risk the teams interested moving in another direction and filling those needs.  Then they may not have near the pieces available as they would near the beginning of if it were to happen near the beginning of the offseason. 

At the same time if the teams don't fill those needs, then they could have more pressure later in the offseason. 

Still I think nows a good time for the Dbacks to move RJ and if they dick around it could really bite them in the ass.  They got to make sure to make a smart deal, but they also have to realize they aren't good enough to compete and that they should be thinking 2-3 years from now.

Yeah it's kinda strange but RJ is RJ and I doubt teams would just look at other answers.

Teams will always be there looking for RJ and I don't think it's bad to ask for a huge package. Just not gonna work out because no GM is that dumb.