Anti-Americanism in France

southsider2k5

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I'd rather have 10,000 German soldiers in front of me than 1 French soldier behind me."----- George Patton

f*** France. I've boycotted those cocksuckers ever since 09/11 and knew they served no real purpose other than being a country on a map that myself, Maury, NUKE, and Guido could over take over if we ever pooled our money together to buy plane tickets for the 4 of us to go to the land of surrender and frog/snail consumption.

I hope Belgium or Denmark invade France sometime real soon.

I didn't read the article. Is the Anti-Americanism from France recent news or is it the same old regurgitated crap from all the way back when they were saved from speaking German?

Actually it was kind of interesting because it goes all of the way back to 18th century to right after the conclusion of the Revolutionary War.

And its wrong.

CubKilla: So nice to see you decided to boycott an ally when they were one of our strongest supporters in the war on terror. In Afghanistan, when they were sending troops over alongside our boys, when they were an active player in the war on terror - including working towards an invasion of Iraq. They were never fully against the idea, in fact - I believe at one point, Chirac asked Bush to give the weapons inspectors 90 more days to build a more solid case and then we'll jump right behind you. There was no room for compromise on our side.

If you think Anti-Americanism is so rampant in France, go there and see for yourself. It's funny, cause I was there in the summer of 2003, right in the middle of the Freedom Fries epidemic and the French wine boycott and all that fun stuff. I never saw any blatant acts against American people. What I saw were people concerned that the US government was overstepping its bounds. At the same time, I saw France actually moving to embrace Lance Armstrong - for tour win number 5. I saw people concerned with the spreading influence of American popular culture and it overshadowing France's own culture - but still embracing both.

This being said, I don't even really like France all that much. It's kinda dirty, people are a little less patient than I like and it was very difficult to travel within my 25 dollar a day budget.

"I'd rather have 10,000 German soldiers in front of me than 1 French soldier behind me."----- George Patton

f*** France. I've boycotted those cocksuckers ever since 09/11 and knew they served no real purpose other than being a country on a map that myself, Maury, NUKE, and Guido could over take over if we ever pooled our money together to buy plane tickets for the 4 of us to go to the land of surrender and frog/snail consumption.

Kinda reminds me of a funny joke.

Q: What did the French say when the Germans invaded?

A: French Man, "Table for 10,000?"

I was in France around the week that war was declared in Iraq. I never encountered one rude person--everyone was helpful and extremely kind to a single girl travelling alone.

I wonder if there are news stories in rance about rampant Anti-France feelings in the US...

And didn't they help us out quite a bit in the Revolutionary War and the north in the Civil War? So without them would we still have to have pictures of the Queen on our walls?

Remember a jet that we lost after bombing Libya? It went down because France wouldn't let us fly over their country. We had to go around, and the plane ran out of fuel, because the chicken-s*** cheese eaters were afraid to even look like they were helping us.

I also didn't see the French jumping for joy over Lance Armstrong. I saw (French) local and national news organizations screaming for drug tests of Lance, but certainly no lovefest.

France feels insignificant, since they know they have no real power in the world, and would have even less if they didn't have a permanant seat on the security council at the UN. How they got that, I will never understand. They couldn't secure themselves during two wars.

And its wrong.

CubKilla: So nice to see you decided to boycott an ally when they were one of our strongest supporters in the war on terror. In Afghanistan, when they were sending troops over alongside our boys, when they were an active player in the war on terror - including working towards an invasion of Iraq. They were never fully against the idea, in fact - I believe at one point, Chirac asked Bush to give the weapons inspectors 90 more days to build a more solid case and then we'll jump right behind you. There was no room for compromise on our side.

If you think Anti-Americanism is so rampant in France, go there and see for yourself. It's funny, cause I was there in the summer of 2003, right in the middle of the Freedom Fries epidemic and the French wine boycott and all that fun stuff. I never saw any blatant acts against American people. What I saw were people concerned that the US government was overstepping its bounds. At the same time, I saw France actually moving to embrace Lance Armstrong - for tour win number 5. I saw people concerned with the spreading influence of American popular culture and it overshadowing France's own culture - but still embracing both.

This being said, I don't even really like France all that much. It's kinda dirty, people are a little less patient than I like and it was very difficult to travel within my 25 dollar a day budget.

GMAFB.

90 more days of weapons inspections had nothing to do with the impending action into Iraq and had everything to do with them selling sanctioned items illegally to Saddam Hussein. The action into Iraq represented a choke-hold on illegally obtained monies France wanted/needed from Iraq. Then, after the initial action into Iraq is complete, ALL OF A SUDDEN, France wants in on the reconstruction effort AND agrees to send a garrison of 20 or so troops to assist in Iraq. Piss on them.

And do you know why those white-flag waving cowards are so nice to Americans now? The post 09/11 hit to France's annual money obtained from American's touring and buying their s*** products due to grass root boycott's stateside. Money talks and bulls*** walks. When France saw the money from tourism and surrender-monkey made products drop like a friggin' brick, they finally started to smarten up..... just a little.

Still didn't stop some of those pricks from desecrating some of the American graves prior to and after the invasion of Iraq though.

I was in France around the week that war was declared in Iraq. I never encountered one rude person--everyone was helpful and extremely kind to a single girl travelling alone.

I wonder if there are news stories in rance about rampant Anti-France feelings in the US...

And didn't they help us out quite a bit in the Revolutionary War and the north in the Civil War? So without them would we still have to have pictures of the Queen on our walls?

I'm sure the have news staories about anti-France sentiment in the USA. You know, type where they are wondering why there are very few American tourists over there, or we aren't buying Michelin tires ... or French wine, cheese or perfume.

There is something to be said for the power of the almighty dollar! :usa

GMAFB.

90 more days of weapons inspections had nothing to do with the impending action into Iraq and had everything to do with them selling sanctioned items illegally to Saddam Hussein. The action into Iraq represented a choke-hold on illegally obtained monies France wanted/needed from Iraq. Then, after the initial action into Iraq is complete, ALL OF A SUDDEN, France wants in on the reconstruction effort AND agrees to send a garrison of 20 or so troops to assist in Iraq. Piss on them.

And do you know why those white-flag waving cowards are so nice to Americans now? The post 09/11 hit to France's annual money obtained from American's touring and buying their s*** products due to grass root boycott's stateside. Money talks and bulls*** walks. When France saw the money from tourism and surrender-monkey made products drop like a friggin' brick, they finally started to smarten up..... just a little.

Still didn't stop some of those pricks from desecrating some of the American graves prior to and after the invasion of Iraq though.

I'm sorry - are you privy to some sort of French government communiquee that I'm not seeing? France considered contributing 15,000 troops to the war effort as early as 2002 - which would have made them the third largest country in the coalition. France met with the US to consult over war plans in 2002. They only moved to the other side when it became apparent to them that the Bush administration cared less about making sure a cogent air-tight justification for the necessity of war was there, then getting the party started so to speak. Sorry Charlie, that's not anti-Americanism. In my book, that's responsible statesmanship.

I'm not a fan of Jacques Chirac by any means, but they aren't accomodationist either. They've got their own battles with the mess in Algeria to deal with.

France does have an inferiority complex, and they are a little afraid of global cultural domination by Hollywood, oddly enough sharing similar concerns that the right claims to have about Hollywood.

But don't sit there and act like you know about French culture when you very obviously don't. I lived in France, half of my family is French. Every rational French person I have spoken to has been able to make a differentiation between government policy and the people in that government.

If you could look past your rhetoric and into reality - you might actually see that you're fudging timelines and omitting facts to prove your point.

Oh yeah, one other thing - France is in the lead in trying to resolve the issues with Iran. They have a policy of engagement with the state and is trying to prevent or at least delay the creation of Iranian nuclear weaponry. Instead the Bush administration responds with bluster it appears to have no plan to back up. Bash France if you want, but it appears in the next war on terror - they've got our back and we haven't even asked for it yet.

I also didn't see the French jumping for joy over Lance Armstrong.  I saw (French) local and national news organizations screaming for drug tests of Lance, but certainly no lovefest. 

France feels insignificant, since they know they have no real power in the world, and would have even less if they didn't have a permanant seat on the security council at the UN.  How they got that, I will never understand.  They couldn't secure themselves during two wars.

We scream for Bonds, Sosa, and Giambi to be tested. Does that make us Un-American and Un-Dominican? Cycling has been one of the dirtiest sports internationally. It is almost the assumption you cannot win without blood doping, steroids, etc. Sad.

France received a permanent seat for being on the winning side of WW2. The UN was created by the victors to hopefully keep WW3 from ever happening. Of course the same countries who created and supported the organization's inception, received some guarantees that they wouldn't have the world on their asses. This wasn't a world-wide movement like some Coke commercial with everyone holding hands and singing songs. It was the most powerful countries on the planet at that time creating an organization through which they could rule the world.

By boycotting French products, you are also boycotting the Americans who buy, sell, and deliver the products here. Your choice, and I respect that. I always try to buy NAFTA items myself, especially Hecho in Mexico near me.

I'm sure the have news staories about anti-France sentiment in the USA.  You know, type where they are wondering why there are very few American tourists over there, or we aren't buying Michelin tires ... or French wine, cheese or perfume.

There is something to be said for the power of the almighty dollar! :usa

American tourists are everywhere.

And this is an honest question--the people that dislike France so strongly now: would they have gone to France before 9/11? Somehow I doubt it.

And to be honest, with the Euro kicking as much ass as it is--I think the French aren't very concerned about the Almighty Dollar.

Dollar at all time low

NEW YORK, Dec 3 (Reuters) - The dollar slid to a new record low against the euro on Friday amid disappointing U.S. jobs data and a perception that the United States was in no hurry to stem the dollar's fall.

The dollar crumbled to $1.3458 per euro , according to Reuters data, a decline of nearly 1.4 percent and a new record low. It also fell more than 1 percent against other currencies.

It was the dollar's biggest fall against the euro since early August and the eighth time in the last nine sessions that the dollar has made a new low against the euro.

The initial impetus for the dollar's decline was a U.S. jobs report which showed payrolls rising at a slower rate than economists had forecast in November.

more at link

:lolhitting :lolhitting :headbang

I'm sorry - are you privy to some sort of French government communiquee that I'm not seeing? France considered contributing 15,000 troops to the war effort as early as 2002 - which would have made them the third largest country in the coalition. France met with the US to consult over war plans in 2002. They only moved to the other side when it became apparent to them that the Bush administration cared less about making sure a cogent air-tight justification for the necessity of war was there, then getting the party started so to speak. Sorry Charlie, that's not anti-Americanism. In my book, that's responsible statesmanship.

I'm not a fan of Jacques Chirac by any means, but they aren't accomodationist either. They've got their own battles with the mess in Algeria to deal with.

France does have an inferiority complex, and they are a little afraid of global cultural domination by Hollywood, oddly enough sharing similar concerns that the right claims to have about Hollywood.

But don't sit there and act like you know about French culture when you very obviously don't. I lived in France, half of my family is French. Every rational French person I have spoken to has been able to make a differentiation between government policy and the people in that government.

If you could look past your rhetoric and into reality - you might actually see that you're fudging timelines and omitting facts to prove your point.

Oh yeah, one other thing - France is in the lead in trying to resolve the issues with Iran. They have a policy of engagement with the state and is trying to prevent or at least delay the creation of Iranian nuclear weaponry. Instead the Bush administration responds with bluster it appears to have no plan to back up. Bash France if you want, but it appears in the next war on terror - they've got our back and we haven't even asked for it yet.

Considering isn't doing. Its obvious how much they were benefiting from the oil for food program. They had absolutely zero reason to go into war nor did Germany because they were making plenty of money working WITH Saddam.

France met with the US to consult over war plans in 2002. They only moved to the other side when it became apparent to them that the Bush administration cared less about making sure a cogent air-tight justification for the necessity of war was there, then getting the party started so to speak. Sorry Charlie, that's not anti-Americanism. In my book, that's responsible statesmanship.

So it had nothing to do with their under-the-table deals with Hussein and Iraq in violation of sanctions imposed by the UN? Right

You think we aren't making under the table deals all the time? ChevronTexaco and ExxonMobil are also implicated in the Oil for Food scandal. Maybe I'm being naive, but I think our allies would stand behind us in a true moment of crisis. And a billion here or there wouldn't be of any importance whatsoever.

And you think the paltry millions that France got out of Oil-For-Food would be reason enough to prevent that war? There are billions to be made in Iraq and France certainly knew that opposing the US position would put them at a cost economically in that region, our government so much as said that.

You know what I love about political discussions? When reality changes to disprove someone's argument, they try to throw a fig leaf over the gaping hole in it. The US used Weapons of Mass Destruction to justify an invasion and change of regime in Iraq. France said, we don't believe there is enough evidence to justify an invasion.

It turns out France was right - but not because they were clear headed, or listened to their foreign policy advisors or the chorus of American political scientists - both conservative and liberal - who thought a war with Iraq would be a mistake. Rather than admit that the party you disagreed with originally was at least partially right, you find something else to throw against a wall - to see if it sticks. To say that the sole reason for France to avoid war is because some folks tied to Chirac benefitted is as loony as saying the entire motivation for the war was control of the oil reserves because the US can't account for 8.8 billion dollars in oil revenue since May of 2003 during the reign of the CPA.